“Meeting up with an old friend from more than 50 years ago”
Review of The George Inn

The George Inn
Ranked #3 of 15 Restaurants in Cosham
Price range: US$5 - US$9
Description: Traditional public house with 7 real ales. Stunning views across Portsmouth and the Solent. Food served 12-2 Mon to Sat. Music Tuesday evenings. Fortnightly music quiz Sunday evenings.
Reviewed 29 December 2013

At 2 p.m on Friday 10th May 2013 I met up with Peter Keats who I used to know when I was a Cub Scout in Farlington in the late 50's. He writes up a really good Blog on memories of the 50's and 60's and we have corresponded regularly over the recent years.

I had promised him a copy of a CD of old songs by Jeremy Taylor only available in South Africa where I live part of the year.....he particularly wanted the track......Aaaag Daddy pleeeeze.....

Well Carol and I duly met him at his favourite watering hole from his youth....The George.

We sat and reminisced and I had a wonderful Ploughman's Lunch. The George has been a bit cut off due to road changes but it is well worth a visit.

There are great views over Portsmouth Harbour.

Reviewed 11 April 2013

I must say this is one of the most friendliest pub I have visited in UK. Even the customers were very polite and seems to know one another. I had a cod fish and chip for lunch and it was very fresh indeed. The property was an old coach house of some sort. Worth visiting as the pub has been tastefully restored and renovated. I will definitely come here again because of its excellent pub grub(food), friendly service and pleasant environment.

2  Thank fizal
Reviewed 4 April 2013

A cosy pub, full of dog owners. Despite Portsmouth traditionally having more pubs per square mile than anywhere else, the top of Portsdown Hill is surprisingly short of Inns. This is one of the few and the best one to go in for a quiet pint in traditional surroundings.

1  Thank Peter G
Reviewed 31 March 2013

While I'm staying a couple of km along Portsdown Hill Road, The George Inn is rapidly becoming my favourite for a pub lunch. It's about 300 years old. If driving there, you need to get there early (say by midday) if you want to park in their small car park (only about a dozen spaces). There is legal roadside parking, but not a great deal. There's a good selection of beers but the best is their super chalk board menu, with a very good selection of traditional pub grub. I've had their cod, chips and peas and steak and kidney pudding recently, and both were among the best I've had, especially for value. Really nice atmosphere, even better in the evenings when they have activities such as quiz nights.

Reviewed 26 August 2012

Some parking but limited space inside and expensive beer in my opinion. However it is popular so they must be doing somthing well.