“Stunning and serene.”

Dragon's Backbone Rice Terraces
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Guilin Longji Rice Terraces and Ethnic Minority...
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I visited the Dragon's Backbone rice terraces in the middle of summer and couldn't have enjoyed them more. Once you leave the bus car park you are taken back in time to a place where machines and vehicles are foregone in preference for quiet physical work.The lush greenery is everywhere and the skies are azure blue. I stayed in a lovely hostel that looked out over the terraces and it was hard to tear myself away from the view.

I had intended to stay one night in order to get up early and hike to the highest vantage point before sunrise to take some amazing photos. Luckily I went for a dry run first, the previous afternoon, and managed to take some gorgeous photos as the next morning rain developed and the sunrise ended up being a little lacklustre due to fog.

Regardless, I loved my time here and would go back in a heartbeat. Truly a Chinese gem.

2  Thank klwhite2502
"terraced fields"
"local bus"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We chose the DIY trip and could save at least 50 RMB each comparing to the tours sold by agencies. It might be a good choice if you are on a budget. Also, it is not that difficult as it seems, only a bit confusing, but if you have all the Chinese location names written down in a piece of paper, it should be easy to get there. Plus the experience of getting different public transportations in China's countryside can shocking if you are in China for the first time. Some will like it, some will hate.

1  Thank PedroRSilveira
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I think these rice terraces are worth checking out if you make it to Guilin. They are quite unique in how they're configured in that the mountains they rest on are quite steeper than typical rice terraces. I would recommend doing the DIY tour and just cruising around each of the scenic spots.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

We had a hotel in Guilin and our tour company arranged for my wife and I to travel in an air conditioned car to travel the 2 and a half hours to the Longji Rice Terraces in Longsheng County. I had seen pictures of this place for some time and really wanted to see it. It did not disappoint. There is a hike up a series of stairs which could be slippery after it rains, but the best views are maybe a mile up the path. Once you get past the village of Ping An, then the rice terrace views are spectacular! We went in May and the weather was a bit cool, but the mists would move across the terraces and it was beautiful! I hear in June when they pump the water to each of the terraces, that the views are even better! The women of the village all have really long black hair bundled up on the top of their heads like a hat, and one of them (for 10 yuan) showed us how they take their hair which is cut into 3 one meter long pieces and comb it and tie it up on their heads. That was cool! The terraces resemble the back of a dragon, and so comes the name The Longsheng Dragon Back Rice Terraces. This is something you ought to see! You can pay to have some villagers carry you up the stairs in a canopied litter if the climb is not for you.

1  Thank Roy H
See more reviews
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I was seduced by the many photos of the rice terraces and insisted that they form part of our 30 day trip in China. We were not disappointed.

We travelled from Guilin with our private car and driver and enjoyed the scenery en route but nothing prepared us for the beauty of this fantastical place.

The day was very foggy and wet. Footing wasn't great and we sometimes had to wait while the fog ebbed and flowed to see panoramic vistas, but we were spectacularly rewarded.

We first hiked to point 2 and wanted more, so then did point 1. The latter affords better views.