“Not as good as expected, but still lovely”

Kewarra Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kewarra Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We expected more luxurious rooms. They are a bit tired. Could do with a complete bathroom makeover and a coat of paint. Cracked tiles, plastic toilet seat a bit of a let down. However, stunning spot, gorgeous beach and very peaceful. Restaurant and service very good.

Room Tip: The beachfront bungalow was lovely. But it is right next to the public car park for the beach so can...
2  Thank KayDavidFitchwell
There are newer reviews for Kewarra Beach Resort & Spa

Reviewed 29 July 2014

We paid extra for beachfront cabin, although didn't realise that also meant giving up a little privacy, too. Remember this is a public beach, not a private beach. The cabins, which are set back a little from the beach, are not totally private, though there are some palms and vegetation between the cabins. There are numerous cabins on the other (rainforest) side, set among palm gardens and safe swimming pools, which may be a better choice. It is still only a short walk to the beach. The staff were all very friendly, though the cabins themselves seem to be dated. A deeper bath (or spa?) would be a nice option. There is no other restaurant nearby, so travelling without a vehicle means relying on the Resort for all meals. This can be costly. The dinner menu offers exceptional quality, but surprisingly, the breakfast meals were very average. Dinner can be delivered to the cabin, for $10. charge. There is a public park on the beach beside the resort which has a playground, tables and free push button electric barbeques. Some guests were using these for meals, which is sensible, if you have the ingredients. There is a general store about half an hour walk away. All tour companies pick up from this location, which is well placed for both Daintree Rainforest and Great Barrier Reef tours. After the initial disappointment of not finding the seclusion we desired, we came to enjoy the Kewarra Resort, and would recommend the stay to others, furthermore, add, that the longer you stay, the better the benefit of this lovely environment.

Room Tip: 'rainforest' cabins may be more private than beachfront, and still good swimming opportuniti...
4  Thank Teresa W
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Our stay at this resort was truly magical. From arrival to departure we were so impressed with the whole experience
The meals were outstanding, our cabin so peaceful and comfortable with the added benefit of wallabies outside in our grounds.
The beach just amazing,for us it was pure relaxation that was required and Kewerra beach delivered.

3  Thank susan r
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We have just stayed six nights at this beautiful resort. They have the perfect location. Lush tropical rainforest around the cabins and the beach just walking distance. Most of the cabins appear to be in pairs, fairly close together ( maybe 10 to 15 metres apart) then there is a substantial gap between the next two cabins. The sea view cabins do have a superb outlook but the rainforest ones are beautiful too, so it depends on your budget. We had a rainforest cabin and I noticed that cabins 58 and 59 were on the lagoon so they were pretty. If you are staying for some time and want to get out and about then hire a car. We used Apex car rental as it was the only company that offered zero excess. It was easy to get to, as the bus stop is only 2 mins walk away. It is on Sheridan street and you can ask the bus driver to let you off just after the airport road turn off. The company was excellent but you would probably need to book, as they were turning about 15 people away each day! The food in the resort restaurant was excellent but if you are budget conscious, then it would add up very quickly. If you take a couple of breakfast bowls and spoons with you then you can buy milk and cereal (there is a small fridge in the room) which means that you can have a cheap breakfast in your room each day.There are quite a few reasonably priced restaurants fairly close by (you need a car though) particularly at Clifton beach shopping centre about 5k drive north.You will find Italian, which is BYO with a bottle shop next door! You can get a large pizza there for $14.95 if you order before 6pm also Thai and Fish and chips. Many other eateries a little further along at Palm Cove. Back to the resort now! I found the staff absolutely exceptional. When we arrived Neil kindly took our bags to our room whilst we had a light meal in the restaurant. After we had eaten, he then showed us the way to our cabin, which was fantastic. Thanks Neil! All the reception staff were very helpful and I never felt that I was pressured to eat there, which was great. I would go back again for sure but I wouldn't visit unless I had a hire car. I loved relaxing there but I also loved visiting the magnificent surroundings. Thanks to you all for a wonderful holiday

Room Tip: Cabins 58 and 59 are on the lagoon and looked lovely but there is a fountain running all the time ju...
3  Thank AKB154
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

The pros to this place are many. Its grounds are gorgeous - a large lagoon wrapped by tropical forest and dotted all around with cabins of variable size. If you're lucky, you might nab a cabin that literally opens up to the beach but they're all close by. The beach itself is immaculate. The reception and dining area is hugely inviting with a grand high ceiling, a very pretty living wall and comfy lounge furniture. The two swimming areas are large and open, each with its own waterfall and again surrounded by lush greenery. The staff were very welcoming and happy to help with my inquiries about a trip to the reef. The food was quite good although dinner was much better than the breakfast buffet. The room itself was very good but not great; comfortable and well maintained but the bath was quite small (not suited to a two-person soak). Room service was very accommodating, making a mid-morning pass and another in the afternoon for people who sleep late like me. The room was always nice to come back to after a turn-over.

My criticisms are not huge but not insignificant. The website very clearly indicates that the "rock pool" swimming area is heated and while it gets more sun than the other pool, it is definitely not heated. This was a disappointment for me - I came in a colder month from Melbourne and noted the heated pool when making my booking. I was looking forward to some time in a pool and that never eventuated. In summer months I'm sure it's not a problem! The other thing that left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth was that the "king or queen sized bed" listed on the website was in fact two single beds pushed together. The linen holds the beds snugly in place so it's not a tragedy but it's also not what's advertised. I made the booking at a special off-peak rate so I was happy with the value I received but had I paid full price, I would have been a bit miffed about the bed.

Having said that, I left quite content with my stay.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank jmgor2
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Our 7 night stay in June 2014 was everything we had hoped for. The hospitality shown to us by the staff was genuinely caring and friendly. The bungalows are well spaced apart private, spacious and clean. The restaurant catered for a wide variety menu. Although a little pricey to eat there every day the quality of food was very good. We hope to return again and would recommend the resort to our families and friends.

2  Thank Norton59
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Thoroughly enjoyed our 5 nights stay at Kewarra beach resort, pandanus suite. Beautiful, comfortable place to stay surrounded by lush rainforest. Spent most days lounging on a beach chair at kewarra beach (too cold to swim although some ppl did). Great relaxing peaceful vibe. Had a massage at their White Lotus spa - most beautifully situated spa I have ever been to - right by the lagoon). I didn't want to leave this place by the end! Downsides : restaurant was expensive and quite hit and miss (we travelled to nearby Trinity beach for Blue Moon grill which is SUPERB). I would imagine in summer there would be lots of mozzies but we had none in winter. The 'heated' pool was not quite working, it was a bit too cold for me. And of course its quite expensive.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Sarayi Boutique Hotel
Sarayi Boutique Hotel
#7 of 8 in Palm Cove
Peppers Beach Club & Spa

Been to Kewarra Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!