Hibiscus House is a wonderful place -- serene, excellent food, and charming staff.
We took 95% of our meals at HH and were never disappointed. It's fresh and plentiful, and the chef, Saidou, is a lovely guy. Special mention must also be made of the amazingly warm and friendly bartenders Bax and Tulai -- both made this trip really sparkle.
We ventured out every day but one, guided and unguided. Alagie the guide is super, and Lamin, who guides when Alagie is not available, is also very nice.
It is a major perk that HH is not some isolated all-inclusive, soulless resort like the Sheraton (just a short distance away on Brufut beach) must be. Take advantage and venture into the village (right outside the door of HH). Talk to the locals (you will learn so much), buy something in the market, visit a school, buy some sweets and give them to the kids, or just sit and observe (there is so much to see). Everyone is wonderfully friendly and it's all right there. They don't call it the smiling coast of Africa for nothing!
Brufut beach is the nearest, and is nice, with many beach bars. Batokunku is a bit further (600-700 dalasi taxi ride from HH) but more tranquil and easier to swim. Take your pick -- both are great.
The only flaws of HH are small: WiFi does not work so well, the pool is unheated and so can be a little cold. The windows also don't really close completely (by design), you won't get cold but smells will drift into your room -- someone smoking outside perhaps, or incense from the neighbouring compound. But these are pretty small things that for us did not at all mar a wonderful, memorable holiday. Just enjoy the full five senses experience -- I loved hearing the rooster each morning! We hope to be back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hibiscus House is a privately owned small lodge/hotel in The Gambia. Located amidst the local community away from the main tourist areas and set within tropical gardens it's the perfect break for a little winter sun.The Gambia has long been popular for an extensive bird life, musical culture, river and sunny coastline.Hibiscus House is a perfect location to explore and experience the real Gambia.Explore The River Gambia and it's bolons, learn to drum a Jembe. Spend time at the local school or just relax in the sunshine.Enjoy delicious home cooked food from fresh local produce.We offer you a choice of 3 Suites, 1 Deluxe and 6 Garden Rooms, and 2 Swimming Pools along with happy and friendly service. Breakfast is included within the price and we also offer a lunchtime and evening menu. 'This is your home for as long as you are in The Gambia' ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your Hibiscus House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hibiscus House Hotel Brufut
- Hibiscus House Gambia/Brufut