“My Gambian Home !”
Review of Hibiscus House

Hibiscus House
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Brufut
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Yes this really was my Gambian home from home for 56 days ( I would have stayed longer if it had been possible !). My wife and I stayed for two weeks last year and enjoyed it so much we decided to return again this year. For the first two weeks my wife and I stayed in one of the new suites which boast their own swimming pool. I then stayed on for a further six weeks in a garden room undertaking some voluntary work at a charity school in Bakoteh whilst my wife returned to the UK. I was treated as part of the family by Oliver and his wonderful staff and never felt isolated or lonely whilst staying on my own. A big, big, thankyou to everybody - you looked after me so well !

What more can I say about this delightful boutique hotel that I did not say in my review last year ? The food is still the best I have had in the Gambia and the ambience both during the day and in the evenings make this place perfect for relaxing or socialising with the other guests.
It seems unfair in some ways to single out some staff for special mention, but Baks is a great bar and food manager and Saidou a wonderful chef. My best wishes to you all. Hope we can come back next year !

Room Tip: Try one of the new suites - Avocado or Coconut
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Hibiscus_Gambia, Owner at Hibiscus House, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Thank you very much for your kind review, both Oliver, myself and all of the staff are so glad that you and your wife enjoyed your second stay at Hibiscus House in our new suite also that your extended stay to undertake voluntary work at Bakoteh charity school was successful for both yourself and the school, well done, we look forward to your return

Reviewed 25 March 2014

We had an absolutely wonderful stay. The staff were attentive and happy to help. The room was a very good size and was clean. The pool area was lovely to sit around, very relaxing and with some interesting birdlife. It was a short stroll (15 mins) past the friendly locals to a quiet beach. We ate out a few times and although the food at Ngala Lodge was very good, it still wasn't as tasty as what was on offer at Hibiscus House. We went on a couple of trips, arranged with the hotel - these were well worth it, in particular the half day 4x4 trip, which took in some local villages including the Tanji fishing village and a palm wine compound. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Hibiscus_Gambia, Manager at Hibiscus House, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2014

We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay at Hibiscus House and our trips that we offer, thank you so much for your kind review

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Just back at my desk after a wonderful two weeks in the Gambia, the second of which we spent at Hibiscus House, which is a beautiful mini hotel in Brufut village, and a 15 minute stroll to one of the Gambia's fantastic, unspoilt beaches. Off the beaten track, it is a little haven of calm in beautifully kept pool-side gardens - so much so we struggled to tear ourselves away some days! But most important for us was the warm welcome from Hibiscus' wonderful staff, and the fantastic food on offer - a delicious fusion of African and Western flavours. Thanks again for a fabulous stay and we really hope to be able to visit again in the future.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Hibiscus_Gambia, Manager at Hibiscus House, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Everyone is so pleased that you enjoyed you Gambian experience, particularly your stay with us at Hibiscus House, your very kind review is appreciated by all, we look forward to welcoming you back one day

Reviewed 22 March 2014

Fantastic location to explore the real Gambia.
Friendly people, delicious meals, quiet ,safe place.
Thanks to the Hybiscus House and his staff...an unforgettable experience with a lot of impressions .

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Hibiscus_Gambia, Manager at Hibiscus House, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2014

Thank you very much for your kind review, the staff of Hibiscus House send their greetings and are all very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay, we look forward to maybe welcoming you back one day

Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

I have never written a review on tripadvisor before but having stayed at hibiscus house for a week in march it deserves a mention. Quite simply it is faultless. The staff are really friendly and they went out of their way to help us and to ensure that we enjoyed our stay. All of our meals were delicious and the dining tables are spaced out around the pool area which is a lovely setting. Our room was clean and comfortable and the gardens are beautiful. The location is definitely a positive as it is set in a village, rather than a tourist area, so it is easy to stroll out and see the 'real gambia' and wander to the nearby beach. The tours arranged by the hotel are very good but Samba, a local taxi driver used by hibiscus house, is excellent and stayed with us for the day whilst we explored. In summary, I can't rate this hotel highly enough.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Jem335
Hibiscus_Gambia, Owner at Hibiscus House, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Oliver, the manager and his team at Hibiscus House are delighted that you have made your very first review and for your lovely comments. We are all so glad that you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed the community and friendly faces of The Gambia, thank you once again for choosing Hibiscus House

Reviewed 1 March 2014

My husband and I have recently returned from this hotel and our first trip to The Gambia. Where can I start, WOW! When booking any holiday I always research everything to death! I was originally going to book one of the big hotels but after more thought decided on somewhere smaller, and eventually decided on hibiscus house and I did my usual research on this place. I have to say that it is exactly what we wanted and in fact even exceeded all our expectations! We were late arriving due to a fuelling issue with Thomas Cook. We were met with a smile by Forday who took us to our car and driver for a swift transfer to Hibiscus. We were welcomed by Oliver and taken straight to the bar for a very welcome drink, they had even kept the kitchen open for us and quickly set about getting us a meal, what a wonderful start. We met Saidu the chef to chat about my diet as I am coeliac and need a gluten free diet, this was no problem what so ever, I never had to mention it again it was all in hand. Saidu is a wonderful imaginative chef with excellent skills! We ate lunch and evening meal most days and the food is amazing! We never had even a slight tummy upset! I can't say enough to commend the fabulous team of staff who made our every wish their command. Baks is an amazing attentive bar man and Touli also! Oliver is a great host who will endeavour to help you in any way with anything! We wanted initially to go for a lazy week in the sun but The Gambia is such a fun, friendly and fascinating place that we felt compelled to get out and see things. Alagie is a guide that works from hibiscus and he looked after us so well on several trips, he is so knowledgable and very good company. He made our holiday really special with everything he showed us, we have seen so many birds and such wildlife that he went out of his way to make sure we saw. The hotel itself is a little tropical paradise in the very friendly village of Brufut. Beautifully maintained and tended to, very clean, calm, spacious and special! Good showers with plenty of hot water! The bird life here is superb, you can see and hear all day a wonderful array of stunning birds and also the lizards. We would definately recommend this hotel and we will definately be returning. We would just like to say a huge thankyou to Oliver and all the staff at hibiscus house for the best week in The Gambia!

Mandy and mike.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mandy W
Hibiscus_Gambia, Manager at Hibiscus House, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Your happiness is our pleasure and we would all like to thank you very much for your kind review.
Your comments are always welcomed as it lets us know we are getting it right and they are great for future guests, thank you once again

Reviewed 28 February 2014

Hibiscus House is a wonderful place -- serene, excellent food, and charming staff.

We took 95% of our meals at HH and were never disappointed. It's fresh and plentiful, and the chef, Saidou, is a lovely guy. Special mention must also be made of the amazingly warm and friendly bartenders Bax and Tulai -- both made this trip really sparkle.

We ventured out every day but one, guided and unguided. Alagie the guide is super, and Lamin, who guides when Alagie is not available, is also very nice.

It is a major perk that HH is not some isolated all-inclusive, soulless resort like the Sheraton (just a short distance away on Brufut beach) must be. Take advantage and venture into the village (right outside the door of HH). Talk to the locals (you will learn so much), buy something in the market, visit a school, buy some sweets and give them to the kids, or just sit and observe (there is so much to see). Everyone is wonderfully friendly and it's all right there. They don't call it the smiling coast of Africa for nothing!

Brufut beach is the nearest, and is nice, with many beach bars. Batokunku is a bit further (600-700 dalasi taxi ride from HH) but more tranquil and easier to swim. Take your pick -- both are great.

The only flaws of HH are small: WiFi does not work so well, the pool is unheated and so can be a little cold. The windows also don't really close completely (by design), you won't get cold but smells will drift into your room -- someone smoking outside perhaps, or incense from the neighbouring compound. But these are pretty small things that for us did not at all mar a wonderful, memorable holiday. Just enjoy the full five senses experience -- I loved hearing the rooster each morning! We hope to be back.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind comments, we are so glad you enjoyed your hols at Hibiscus House, sorry about the WiFi speed, it's life in the slow lane! We look forward to welcoming you back

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brufut
Kombo Beach Hotel
#2 of 10 in Kololi
Ocean Villa Heights
Ocean Villa Heights
#3 of 4 in Brufut

Been to Hibiscus House? Share your experiences!