“Clean and comfortable accommodation in the center of Hongcun”
Review of Xiaotaoyuan Hostel

Xiaotaoyuan Hostel
Xiaotaoyuan Hostel
Ranked #37 of 195 Yi County B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

Location: great central location, close to the Moon Pond. Hongcun is a really small village so location isn't really an issue if you're within the city, you can easily walk around. The hotel is hard to find because it's slightly hidden away from the street, I would strongly recommend calling once you arrive (the owner met us at the entrance and walked us over).
Hotel: it's a charming old style house with a small patio area with free Wifi. The owner is friendly and speaks some English. The hotel accepts foreigners and is able to register them, and can be reserved online through booking websites.
Room: clean and comfortable room, with strong AC (much needed in July). The ensuite bathroom was very clean and a little small, with the shower almost on top of the squatting Asian style toilet. Westerns might be unused to this type, but we were ok with it.
All in all, we found the hotel a nice budget option to explore Hongcun.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 8 May 2010

Stayed in HongCun for 5 days. Almost all of the hostel refused to take in foreigners (this happens in other parts of the country also). They needed a local Identification Card for registration and I was told they will be fined RMB5000 if caught illegally housing a foreigner.My local travelling partners booked 2 rooms with a hostel but since they have to leave after 2 days, I have no choice but to look for alternative lodging for my other 3 days. I walked though the whole areas to view rooms and check prices but sad to find that none of them can officially take in a foreigner.

Luckily I chance upon XiaoTaoYuan. The rooms are clean and spacious. The price is definitely well worth every cent. We paid RMB60 for a room with 3 beds. The owner is the village western doctor and his son practices in the town. The daughter-in-law who helps to run the hostel is also trained in the same profession. She is easy-going and very obliging. Best of all, the hostel is registered to take in foreigner.

I have been to many parts of China. For my current trip, I have been to Guangzhou, Hangzhou, Wuyuan, Tangkou, HongCun and currently in Xitang but I would say that by far this is the best hostel I have stayed. It is also the only hostel whereby I left my valuables unlocked.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple