“Best Holiday Inn for some time”

Holiday Inn Reading - M4, Jct 10
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Winnersh
Marlow, United Kingdom
“Best Holiday Inn for some time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2011

I am a regular guest at the Holiday Inn chain. It generally provides a decent nights stay at a reasonable price and our expectations were no higher than usual. However this quite new Holiday Inn exceeded our expectations. The staff were helpful, the hotel extremely clean and well managed and everything looked and smelled new! The rooms were a little smaller than usual but they were well designed and comfortable. We didn't feel like the usual buffet breakfast (at £14.95 a head) so opted for an excellent light breakfast in the bar. I had a beautifully prepared 3 egg omelette with hash browns for £5.25 and my wife opted for chocolate croissants - which were straight out of the oven - all served at our table by an accommodating waiter. We would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Toulouse, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2011

Rooms are design and comfortable in a brand new hotel.
The breakfast is pretty poor for this type of hotel.
The Internet access is very expensive.

The worst is definitively the hotel staff that is incompetent and arrogant.
They just have no clue.

Other point, this hotel is located in an industrial area with absolutely no interest. The station to Reading down town is very close (3 min walk)

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
CBB99, Owner at Holiday Inn Reading - M4, Jct 10, responded to this review, 22 April 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay at our hotel. I am very pleased you found the new rooms and the interior design of our hotel to your liking. I hope you get the opportunity to enjoy our Esprit Fitness & Spa on your next stay, with 19m indoor pool, large gym with latest Life Fitness equipment, Sauna ,Steam Room and Spa .

I apologise you did not find the breakfast to your liking.In addition to the extensive buffet we provide, you may find it more to your liking to order anything you like from our a la carte breakfast menu, which is all included within the breakfast charge. You can now also enjoy breakfast on our lovely outdoor terrace so you can enjoy the wonderful weather at the same time as your breakfast.

Our location in Winnersh Triangle is extremely popular with our guests. As you noted, we are directly next to the station [ main line to Waterloo - 20 minutes or Reading - 6 minutes], in addition to being 1 mile from the M4 Jct 10, and 3 miles from Wokingham. The additional benefit of our location is you do not get caught in the notoriously bad Reading town centre traffic .

We thank you for your support and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future

Regards
Paris, France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2011

Not a bad looking hotel and must be quite new.But often as with many first impressions-its downhill from then on.Staff are undertrained and management plain rude when you make a fuss.The food makes McD's a 3 star michelin eatery in comparison and the rooms are pokey.If you're not fussy ,not a bad place to stay.For the rest of us-head towards the Novotel or Hilton(especially loyalty scheme members-much much better treatment there)

Room Tip: Quick tip-don't bother
4 Thank Thechoosytraveller
Dear Sir

I have read your review with interest having personally dealt with you on 3 April 2011 when you and your party of 6 visited our restaurant for mother's day lunch.

I note for the record that you did not stay at the hotel as you suggest.

You chose instead to spend 1 1/2 hours drinking at the bar with your friends, followed by a meal in our a la carte restaurant, only to then try and make off without paying for the meals and beverages you had consumed.

Naturally, we are not in the business of providing free meals and beverages to non residents and thankfully the swift attendance of the Police ensured you were apprehended and settled your invoice before you managed to leave the premises as you were trying to do.

The guest questionnaires from all the guests who dined in our Caprice Restaurant for Mother's Day lunch are evidence that the matters you refer to below are regretably deliberately misleading as all guests conveyed their highest levels of satisfaction at the levels of service and food quality they received for the Mother's Day luncheon.

HOTEL OWNER
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2011

My husband and I hadn't stayed at a Holiday Inn in many years. We felt the standard had somewhat slipped since the brand was at it's heyday of the mid 70's, but after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor, we decided to give this hotel a go, and we're SO glad we did.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Reading for business for 4 nights but enjoyed it so much, we extended our stay for another 2 nights at our leisure.

We could find no fault with this place. The room we had (one of the exec. rooms) was beautiful, well equipped, very clean and comfortable (and had oodles of power points!).

The staff (in every department) were friendly and totally professional - we particularly found the young bar staff in Monty's a pleasure to deal with.
The food was great - breakfast is one of the best we've had in recent years in a hotel.

The location was great - so easy to reach and a central location.

We cannot wait til our business (or pleasure) takes us to the Holiday Inn at Reading again. We wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Many, many thanks.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2011

I have stayed at this hotel twice, the first was just before Christmas (for 5 nights) and again last week (for 3 nights) due to business meetings in the surrounding area. I must say I was very impressed throughout both of my visits by the professionalism and standards of this Holiday Inn. My job is extremely stressful and I very much looked forward to my evenings staying here.........the food is delicious, the beauty treatments are fabulous (the massages and facials really helped me to de-stress from work!!) and the swimming/gym facilities were excellent.

On my first stay before Christmas, Razvigor Popov, an amazing Pianist, was a pleasure to hear as I entered the hotel. I have heard he shall be returning and I am most delighted about this!

The reception staff were always very welcoming and extremely helpful.

The cleanliness of my room and the pool / gym changing rooms were always very high and exceeded my expectations. I always think this is a massive tell tale sign of how good a hotel really is.

I shall certainly continue to use this hotel in the future. Thank you so much!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2011

My husband and I spent a night at the hotel in December - the rooms were spacious, comfortable, clean and stylish, the food was excellent (the chocolate desert is to die for!) and the staff were attentive and friendly. What we liked most about the hotel was the attention to detail from the furnishings to the flowers to the different flavoured oils to dip your bread into! We would definitely go back and hope to use the spa and pool this time...thank you and keep it up.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2011

This is a brand new hotel and there seems to have been a very big effort made to increase the quality of the Holiday Inn experience. The standard was very high from the moment you walk through the door to checkout and I heartily recommend this place. The staff go out of their way, nothing is too much trouble and it is all politeness and smiles - excellent. I stayed in a standard room and it was quite large and with it being brand new it had a high quality feel to it. A quick summary of the pointers from me:

1) The hotel has a secure underground car park with a lift to the reception area and the floors above.
2) The bathroom is small but perfectly adequate.
3) The hotel is based on an industrial estate and Winnersh but don't let that put you off. You won't get the city centre experience but my guess is that if you're staying here you working at one of the Thames Valley's many companies.
4) *Very* close to the M4 and A329 so an easy arrival and quick getaway, although there was no residual noise from the main road.
5) I only ate room service as I was working in my room each night and the food and choice was OK - not brilliant but OK.
6) The hotel was quite expensive I thought, but maybe I was unlucky with the room rate.

So overall a big thumbs up from me.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Winnersh
Holiday Inn Reading - South M4, Jct.11
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,729 reviews
Hilton St Anne's Manor, Bracknell
Crowne Plaza Hotel Marlow
Millennium Madejski Hotel Reading

Been to Holiday Inn Reading - M4, Jct 10? Share your experiences!