“Fantastic for children”

RHS Garden Rosemoor
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: If you are looking for inspiration and a relaxing day out, come to RHS Garden Rosemoor and stroll around our enchanting 65-acre garden. Rosemoor is a garden of intoxicating beauty, meticulously crafted and planted, retaining the essence of rural North Devon within a dramatic backdrop of steep wooded valley sides.Whatever the season, the exciting colours, scents and textures mean that all your senses will be stimulated, and with both formal and informal gardens - as well as woodland walks, water features and open spaces - there is something for children and adults alike to enjoy time and again.
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We visited today for the first time with my three young children (6 & 4), I was a little unsure if there would be enough to occupy them - how wrong I was!! The older one loved following a trail around searching for clues and the younger ones having to do a senses type scavenger hunt. Everything was superbly organised whilst keeping working the natural garden environment. The children also took part in a craft activity in the learning centre which they thoroughly enjoyed (the staff in here particularly friendly and helpful). This was such a great day, fab value for money, we shall be recommending it to our friends.

Oliver K, Front Office Manager at RHS Garden Rosemoor, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

Thank you so much for your review, we really have been concentrating on our holiday offer over the last few years so it is great to hear its being enjoyed. We now have family events on nearly every day throughout the school holidays as well as the weekend events during term time so hopefully we will see you again soon. Please have a look on our website to see specifically what's on. Kind regards. Oliver

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We live in Devon, but I am ashamed to say that we've only just discovered this brilliant garden on our doorstep. I first visited with my 77 year old mother who loves a good walk - and she walked the legs off me as we explored the two woodland walks as well as visiting many of the gardens. On our return home, we talked about it with such enthusiasm that I then made a return trip with my (gardening mad) husband the following week. This time we also walked and walked, but it was the layout and organisation of the gardens that fascinated him, with the fruit and veg areas being of particular interest. On this visit we profited from the current RHS membership offer, and purchased an annual membership for him so he can come again in different seasons, as well as visiting other 'partner' gardens in our area.

As a garden to inspire you and answer questions, this was a great experience for us, and in fact I'd say it is better than the Eden project in that respect, because it is easier to understand how you can apply the ideas you've seen here to your own garden at home.

On my first visit we used the tea rooms, and the only criticism I would make of the whole experience is that we found this to be on the pricey side, with slow service, taking 25 minutes just to queue for a pot of tea. Seating was cramped as it was a particularly busy weekend. I would recommend taking a flask and a picnic, because there are many lovely areas you could sit and enjoy your lunch, or, if you don't fancy carrying it a long way, the car park itself is pretty and spacious - a really nice setting to enjoy a brew before you set off or after you return.

Definitely one we'll be coming back to - it'll be with the grandchildren next time for a go on the 'green ship'!

Oliver K, Front Office Manager at RHS Garden Rosemoor, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment on Tripadvisor, I’m so glad you enjoyed your day at Rosemoor and we look forward to welcoming you back with your grandchildren, for one of our daily holiday events. The Wisteria Tea Room is a delightful place to relax at the other side of the garden, however it is very small and does become very busy during the high season. The main restaurant at the Visitor centre offers a greater selection of food and there is plenty of seating on our terrace with views overlooking the garden. The ethos at The Award Winning Rosemoor Garden Kitchen is quality local produce, as we believe that in order to make great tasting food you need fabulous ingredients . The pot of tea you mention is loose leaf Tregothnan tea grown in Cornwall. In fact it’s the only British grown tea.It’s important that we offer value for money so we regularly compare our prices with similar venues in the South West to ensure that we are competitive. Also any profit derived from catering is put towards our charitable purpose. I do hope that you will revisit the restaurants on your next visit to Rosemoor as we do have some great food options for children.

Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

I really don't know where to start praising Rosemoor.

We went down with the aim to fill some time for my 4 year old. There was a Tolkien exhibition and a treasure hunt/quest around the garden which we thought might kill an hour or so.

5 hours later we left!

The gardens are beautiful to walk through. I wouldn't classify myself a flower lover or gardener but I found the place really relaxing to walk around. I found everything really interesting and even picked up some tips in the fruit and vegetable garden for my small garden in Dubai.

I would think that if you're at all interested in horticulture/gardening this is a must see location.

But it was all about the kids. The quest was really well put together. My daughter was completely occupied by the quest. But even after the quest was finished she remained interested. Butterflies, honey bees, flowers, strange fruits. Everything caught her eye.

We will certainly be back.

Best day out so far in almost two weeks.

The staff were friendly and helpful. Obviously enjoying working in a quality location. Restaurant and tea room were the best we've experienced this holiday in any location in Devon or Somerset.

This really is a fantastic venue. If you get the chance you really should heck it out. Take a look on their website, it looks like there's always events on.

Thank you so much for your review, it is lovely to hear ho much you enjoyed the garden. I think it is difficult to see how much people of all ages will enjoy the garden and activities before visiting. That is why we offer the reclaim your entry fee on membership so visitors can try before they buy. If you are still in the area for the rest of the summer we have activities on nearly every day right through until September and then craft fair, wedding fair, food fair and apple day. As you say, have a look on our website to see whats on. Kind regards. Oliver

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

I absolutely adore Rosemoor. It has so much to offer at any time of year. The staff are so friendly and knowledgeable. The garden is split into sections and a lot of people don't venture through the tunnel and into the second section. Do wear comfy shoes as there is a lot of walking.
I am pleased that they have made the pond accessible to all.
We love it so much that we had our wedding photos taken in the Mediterranean Garden. They came out beautifully. Such a riot of colour. A lovely place to stroll after Sunday lunch or better still work up an appetite and then have a coffee and a slice of cake at the café.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Beautiful displays and very accessible for those with walking difficulties. I enjoyed a whole day and found the childrens entertainment most enjoyable and i don't have kids! Afternoon tea is a must with compusary clotted cream.

Oliver K, Public Relations Manager at RHS Garden Rosemoor, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

I am glad you enjoyed your visit and found everything to be accessible. If you didn't manage to get one of our all terrain mobility vehicles this time please give us a call in advance and we can book one for you if required. They are part of the Countryside Mobility South West scheme and open up the whole garden including woodland walks to our visitors. Kind regards. Oliver