All reviewscurrygurkha restaurantnaan breadlambopen kitchenlovely nightnice outdoor areaeasy accessadded bonusforest of deanwell worth a visitwarm welcomechepstowmainsnepalpundiving
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I love this restaurant. We used to live in the village and would visit often. Recently we were back in town for a couple of days, so we chose to stay here.

The food is excellent. I have described it to friends as "like Indian, only fresher". For starters, the Chhoyola and the Sekuwa are excellent. For mains, try dishes like the Everest lamb, the hill-boy special or Himalayan chicken. Nan breads are light and crisp, truly delicious.

Having now stayed, I can say the rooms are spotless, though perhaps a little basically furnished e.g. our double room had just one bedside table, leaving me nowhere to put my glasses.

Another pleasure was breakfast. It is so rare to have a breakfast cooked to order, and to sit where we could hear it sizzling away was a joy.

Overall, a lovely place, which I am happy to recommend.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Run by Gurkha to a very high standard.Great setting and internal decoration.. Rooms very comfortable and staff could not be bettered for friendliness and efficiency. The restaurant is a totally different experience, menu based on a mixture of Chinese, Indian and Gurkha traditional food. superbly served by extremely helpful staff and management. A wonderful evening and I am told it is advisable to book in advance for Saturdays.
The only slight let down was the room service. If you want to have you room serviced in a morning, you have to request it on checking in. Once done, all standards are very good. Merely a different approach to individuals privacy.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Stayed for one night on a Saturday with my family and the rooms were comfortable and clean, the staff attentive and helpful and the rooms, which were at the front, were not noisy from the road outside at all. Breakfast was really great and we were served by the owner, who is an ex-Gurkha, who was charming and very interesting when we asked about his experiences. All-in-all a very pleasant stay with the only minor problem being quite a strong smell of curry (I think - it was traditional Nepalese food) drifting upstairs from the restaurant below.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We cannot speak highly enough of the Woolaston-ok its by a busy road but come 11 pm, the road is practically car free.The service is excellent and the cooked breakfast superb!Pre wedding we all ate in the Restaurant and the meal was delicicious.WE all had traditional Nepalese dishes and the ywere all very good.The Inn is spotlessly clean and you could literally eat off the floor it is so clean.Ok some of the rooms are small doubles but for £50 per double room inc breakfast-it is great value for money.Staff are vewr y helpful and wonderful with children and babies-we had several in the group.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for one night. The location was middle of no where but on a main road. Our room was facing the road so it was very noisy all night with cars going by. It was also a hot day so we had to keep our windows open which didn't helped. The room was also very small. Not enough space to move around. Although they state wifi in rooms. You get no signals in our rooms. I tried to connect from the bar and it still won't connect. The staff did try to reset the modem but still was unsuccessful. Also mobile signal is very bad around the area too.didnt have dinner there so unable to comment. Breakfast was average fry up. Nothing to write home about.

Also you do get a smell of curries as soon as you walk into the reception. The bedrooms however does not have the smell though.

So all in all its an average B&B. if you get a bargin it's worth staying overnight, otherwise stick to what you know.

• Stayed: August 2013