“Top Taste”

The Woolaston Inn
The Woolaston Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Lydney B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We've often passed this place on way back from the forest, decided to give it a try, wasn't dissapointed. The staff were very friendly and on the ball, food was excellent and very tasty. Would recommend a visit. Plan to go back soon.Located just outside Chepstow towards Lydney

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Woolaston Inn

Reviewed 8 October 2013

I have recently stayed a this inn. It is easily in reach of Lydney by car, and is close to the Forrest of Dean. The room I was given faced the road which conveyed average traffic, but was not noisy. The bed was comfortable, wi fi available, television, tea making, and room service if needed to change linnen, towels etc, and food in the room if needed. The wardrobe was very small for a double room, but was the largest that would fit. Staff were very pleasant and owners mixed in with the guests. Food, 5 star rating was good, served hot and freshly prepared, However the menue was limited to gurka preparations, no English food except at breakfast and must say that was excellant. All round a very nice place to stay for the price, and I would stay there again when visiting lydney..

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 October 2013 via mobile

We visit on a regular bases and always bring our friends and family down when they visit. Baggy runs a fantastic restaurant where the food is fresh and delicious. The service is old school the staff are kind and friendly. I totally recommend you come and eat here, everyone that try's it comes back for more !!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Nicholas231
Reviewed 14 September 2013

We had a big family lunch here today to say goodbye to my nephew before he heads off to Uni. We all really enjoyed it and will be going back there again for sure. Even the 'off the menu' hot hot pickle that was given to my father on special request was fantastic. The owner who is an ex Gurkha spent time socialising with us and it brought back memories for both my mother and I from our travels in Nepal. The food is excellent, Nepalese/Indian, clean tasting, healthy and fresh. I had Narayani Prawn Special as i don't eat meat and it was just perfectly cooked. Very calm and gentle service and atmosphere. Just wonderful !

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I love this restaurant. We used to live in the village and would visit often. Recently we were back in town for a couple of days, so we chose to stay here.

The food is excellent. I have described it to friends as "like Indian, only fresher". For starters, the Chhoyola and the Sekuwa are excellent. For mains, try dishes like the Everest lamb, the hill-boy special or Himalayan chicken. Nan breads are light and crisp, truly delicious.

Having now stayed, I can say the rooms are spotless, though perhaps a little basically furnished e.g. our double room had just one bedside table, leaving me nowhere to put my glasses.

Another pleasure was breakfast. It is so rare to have a breakfast cooked to order, and to sit where we could hear it sizzling away was a joy.

Overall, a lovely place, which I am happy to recommend.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Run by Gurkha to a very high standard.Great setting and internal decoration.. Rooms very comfortable and staff could not be bettered for friendliness and efficiency. The restaurant is a totally different experience, menu based on a mixture of Chinese, Indian and Gurkha traditional food. superbly served by extremely helpful staff and management. A wonderful evening and I am told it is advisable to book in advance for Saturdays.
The only slight let down was the room service. If you want to have you room serviced in a morning, you have to request it on checking in. Once done, all standards are very good. Merely a different approach to individuals privacy.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Stayed for one night on a Saturday with my family and the rooms were comfortable and clean, the staff attentive and helpful and the rooms, which were at the front, were not noisy from the road outside at all. Breakfast was really great and we were served by the owner, who is an ex-Gurkha, who was charming and very interesting when we asked about his experiences. All-in-all a very pleasant stay with the only minor problem being quite a strong smell of curry (I think - it was traditional Nepalese food) drifting upstairs from the restaurant below.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lydney
The Speech House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Lydney
The Royal Oak Whitecroft
The Royal Oak Whitecroft
#1 of 1 in Whitecroft

Been to The Woolaston Inn? Share your experiences!