“What has happened????”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Manchurian
Reviewed 14 April 2013

We have been here many many times but this time the food was not as good as it has been and the waiting staff were not as attentive as they previously had been. Unsure whether I would return in a hurry because I really did not enjoy it.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

My husband surprised me with a visit here to celebrate our 1000 days married (soppy sod I know).
We used to visit this restaurant regularly when it was Wongs and have been coming here on and off for about 15 years. This is the first time we've been in quite a while and some elements where not quite as good as we have come to expect.
They do an "All you can eat" buffet which is excellent (not a typical buffet - you choose from the menu and they bring it to you) This costs £17 and is amazing value as it also included aromatic duck which you can order as much of as you like - incredible value obviously as half a duck is about £15 on its own!
As it was a special evening my hubby did not want to "do it on the cheap" so insisted we avoid the buffet and choose from the main menu. The food was excellent as always. We had mixed h'orderves to start followed by half an aromatic crispy duck then lamb in yellow bean sauce with cashews, and schezuan beef plus of course rice. This plus a couple of drinks each came to £62 (not including tip) which I think is reasonable (obviously would have been much cheaper if we''d had the buffet ;-)
The couple of things that could be improved are as follows....The starters and duck did not come served on a food warmer as they always used to (the mains did however) - I know this might sound petty but our duck went cold very quickly and when they used to use the food warmers all dishes stayed piping hot throughout. Also, the service was fine but the waiters/waitresses just didn't seem as attentive as in the past. We had to flag them down if we wanted anything. In the "old" days they were constantly looking everywhere to see who was trying to make eye contact - they had an almost superhero ability to realise instantaneously you required assistance. Its not a big thing- just an observation. One last niggle was how they brought the drink. We both ordered cider and instead of pouring them at the bar and bringing them over they brought a can and a glass to the table then opened and poured there .....I do not think this is acceptable.
We will be back - the food is great! but probably stick to the buffet in future and not chose it for special occasions.

1  Thank Kyla P
Reviewed 13 December 2012

Lovely food and service in attractive surroundings. I cannot understand why it is not full when we visit !!

Reviewed 30 June 2011

Food is delicious but prices are rather high IMHO. Whenever we have eaten there the service has been good. There is little other choice for a sit in chinese restaurant in Lydney.

Reviewed 20 June 2011

We've eatan here many times now and have never had a bad meal yet. The quality and service are top notch. Only one negative point to make and that is that they see to have raised their prices recently - nonetheless, still good value for money.

2  Thank LydneyLass1