“Great fun - a really enjoyable few hours outdoors”
Review of Go Ape

Go Ape
Ranked #1 of 13 things to do in Lydney
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: If you're looking for activities in the Forest of Dean then we think everyone has the Go Ape spirit just waiting to be unleashed! Go Ape Mallards Pike Lake, Forest of Dean Tree Top Adventure at Mallards Pike. We'll brief you for safety before you fly down an epic zip wire, leap off our Tarzan Swing and tackle our high ropes crossings whilst enjoying some of Britain's most breathtaking scenery. At Mallards Pike our Forest Segways are loose! Our popular Segway experience has landed at the Forest of Dean. We're bringing you down from the trees and onto solid ground, from two legs to two wheels - it's a totally unique way to tackle the trails and enjoy Gloucestershire's finest woodlands. Go Ape Beechenhurst Lodge, Forest of Dean (...three miles away from Mallards Pike Lake) NEW to Beechenhurst Lodge. The Forest of Dean is now home to our Tree Top Junior Adventure for Mini Tarzans. Release your little monkeys onto a Go Ape course designed for them. No one loves adventure more than kids!
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Having looked for something a bit different and outdoorsy, I took my girlfriend to Go Ape in the Forest of Dean for her birthday. A number of friends had recommended it and the price seemed reasonable (£30 each), so I booked in.

It was easy to get to, despite being in the middle of a forest! The staff were very friendly on our arrival, welcoming us and letting us know what to expect. I was a bit nervous, due to a slight fear of heights, but the training session was thorough and made me feel more secure.

The lady providing the briefing was pleasant and knowledgeable and encouraged us as we started out.

After the training, you're set free to follow the course, which consists of tarzan jumps, zip wires and balance obstacles, all up in the trees.

My girlfriend and I had a fantastic time - it was scary, fun, exhilarating, physical and at times challenging but overall, well worth the money - a great experience.

All reviews
"leap of faith"
"training area"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

We took the day out to visit Go Ape as part of our yearly team building venture. Staff show you the 'ropes' first of all before you start. Its easy for beginners and you soon get into the 'swing' of things :-)
Next time we're going to try the segway.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

This is the first time my partner & I experienced Go Ape & it was amazing! This was a birthday gift to my partner from me & it didn't disappoint. I have or should I say HAD a fear of heights & I had doubts about taking part at Go Ape but I'm glad I did.

After the safety briefing I was fine & less nervous knowing that I was completely safe. The supervisors are friendly, helpful & the obstacles were a challenge. There's no need to go to the gym before you visit this place because it'll work every muscle in your body whilst having fun. I enjoyed every part of this including riding along the zip wire & landing on my bottom despite digging my heels into the ground. It's all worth it & it's a great day out!

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Booked a Segway session for a party of 4. 2 of us had been on a Segway before, 2 were first timers.

Riding a Segway takes 5min training at most and can be enjoyed by people of all ages. It's a safe bet for family outings - you're guaranteed to have a great time.

Although the staff was charming and very patient with everyone, we were surprised when we realised no gloves were provided. Unless it is a very sunny/ warm summer day, your hands will get very cold whilst riding a Segway - to the point of being painful. All other Segway bookings we've made in the past came with helmets + gloves.

Everyone during that 1hr session (9 people in total) ended up pulling their sleeves over their hands to try and protect them from the biting cold the best they could. A member of our party even had to stop as his hands got so cold he could no longer hold the steering.

Considering that both staff members had one of two layers of gloves on their hands, they were fully aware how cold it could get.

If having gloves available for all bookings is not feasible for Go Ape, then maybe they could simply mention it in an obvious place on all Segway booking confirmations.

It made the experience far less pleasant than it should have been, as our guests were actually looking forward to the end of the session. From previous experiences, the end of a Segway tour should come as a disappointment, not a relief.

The other reason why the rating is 3 and not 5, is because one can't help feeling patronised when hearing the safety measures being repeated again and again... I know safety is paramount; no organisation wants to have to deal with accidents. However, it's no reason to treat your customers like schoolchildren. It's not the staff's fault, they are only following instructions.

This tour is in a forest, where you'll meet people walking at a leisurely pace - hardly difficult obstacles to avoid... Prior to that, we've been on a Segway in a busy city centre, where we had to look out for cars, trams, etc... and yet, on that occasion, our guide simply recommended to use common sense and follow him in a line. It was more than enough and everyone came back alive ;-)

If it's your first time on a Segway - bring some gloves and you'll enjoy it for sure.

2  Thank LCz_8
See more reviews
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We took part in a GoApe segway session as part of a family holiday to the Forest of Dean, having got a discount by purchasing a Forestry Commission Forest Pass in advance. (If you are visiting one of the Forestry Commission areas in the UK it is definitely worth getting one of these - we got discounts on our accommodation, GoApe and some free parking). It was amazing fun!! We booked our slot in advance and when we turned up we were the only people in that group, which included myself, husband, 12 year old daughter and 17 year old son. Our instructor Toby was brilliant - friendly and helpful, and he started by giving a safety briefing, then showing me (the most nervous participant!) how to use the segway. This turned out to be much easier than I had imagined, as there are no controls or knobs/levers to worry about - you just step on, the segway is self balancing, and you simply lean forward to move forward and move the steering column in the direction you want to go in. To stop, you stand upright and then you can step off. After a short training session in an enclosed area to get our confidence, we went out into the forest with Toby leading us in a line. We started on 'training mode' with a restricted speed, though it still felt fast! After a while we were taken off this mode and could go a little faster. I found the key was to relax into it and keep a bend in the knees, and not much exertion was needed to keep moving. We had a great journey round the beautiful forest, on decent wide tracks with a tiny bit of 'off roading'. The segways had huge chunky wheels which could cope easily with gravel & moderate sized obstacles. Luckily the weather was untypically good - sunny and clear, though our hands did get a little cold. Overall we all absolutely loved our first segway experience and would definitely recommend it! Afterwards we did a walk round the lakes and other parts of the forest. There was a van selling refreshments but we didn't use it. The loos were good and clean.