“Great Food and very reasonable ”
Review of The Rising Sun

The Rising Sun
Ranked #1 of 49 Restaurants in Lydney
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

We were staying in the the area for a few days whilst attending a local shooting school. Found out about this pub on trip advisor and decided to give it ago because of the delicious looking pies and we weren't disappointed! We both went for the steak pie and it was one of the best I have ever had and very good value for money based on the amount of steak inside it and the portion size! Would definitely recommend and would go back if we are in the area again!

1  Thank Pinksun

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We went here as part of a day trip Severnside. Reviews looked good, and we like a Free House. Inside, the pub is traditional, not poshed up. Comfy seating, a good choice of food even at 1.30 on a bank holiday, and a choice of ales and one cider on tap (thatcher's gold). We had the fish and spinach pie. It was served in enormous dishes, was gluten-free, and stuffed full of salmon. There were carrots and broccoli on the side. The lady who served us later told us that she makes it herself. The puddings looked good value at £3.75, but we were too full to try them. Service was friendly and efficient. Total for two fish pies, two halves of beer and two of cider was under £23. Very good value! Am giving it four stars because I would have liked to see more than one cider on tap. Eating outside in the small garden is also an option, and there are lllamas in the field opposite.

Reviewed 7 February 2014

One of my favourite pubs as the food is simply stunningly yummy, sensibly priced and has a great atmosphere. My husband and I have never been disappointed. Well worth a visit if you are in the area.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

Have eaten in The Rising Sun quite a few times so this review is a synopsis of all the visits!
The first time had the "traditional" fish and chips and found the fish very disappointing. I looked and tasted like supermarket preformed fish. Would not have this again. The steak pies look fantastic and are a very large meal. Have had this meal many times and have only been disappointed once when the steak was chewy and could have benefited from quite a bit more cooking. Have only tried the chicken and leek pie once. it tasted OK but seemed to have a lot of potato in it.

The wine list is quite compact and I am afraid to say the wines are all a little insipid.and not exactly cheap.

The pub itself is quite cosy and is now more an eating house than a drinking house. The staff are very pleasant and generally the service is good.

Despite some of my misgivings I will certainly give it another try.

Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

Popped to the quiz tonight at the Rising Sun, popular as ever people eating and drinking chilled out but having fun. Proper country pub good service and good ales to boot. One of the best pints of Guinness for miles. Strongly recommend.

1  Thank Nicholas231