“Excellent bird of prey show”

Kielder Water Bird of Prey Centre
Ranked #2 of 10 things to do in Kielder
More attraction details
Owner description: Officially licensed Birds of Prey Centre set in the heart of beautiful Kielder Water and Forest Park, the only place in Britain with dark sky status.
Reviewed 8 September 2013

What can I say a fab experience for all the family, you get to hold the birds and see them close up. The staff were very friendly and helpful, can highly recommend. We went to the 1.30pm show and then we waited there for the next one at 3.00pm and chatted to the staff about the different types of birds. A great afternoon.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Best attraction of its type I have visited. We went to both flying displays at 1.30 and 3 and all birds on display only flew once. Have never encountered so many species of owl in one place. The Ural owl Finn was my favourite but lovely to see kestrels, a black kite, tawny and barn owl, vulture and gyr/peregrines doing their stuff, not to mention the caracara and its party trick. The weather was not particularly conducive to full displays from some of the birds, but it was still a highly entertaining couple of hours and great to hear Ray(?) and Jonathan talking about each bird having to have a specific flying weight, one of the many facts we were told that I had not heard previously. If you're in the area, it's well worth a visit. A must-see in my opinion.

Reviewed 2 September 2013 via mobile

Absolutely amazing place, knowledgeable staff, they obviously knew a lot about the birds they care for and take pride in every aspect of their well being. I can't understand why people complain about the birds being tethered would you rather have them fighting each other? If you did your homework you would understand that birds of prey only fly for food in the wild and they are flown 9 months out of twelve they need to be rested 3 months. They are flown on a rotational basis. Overall great fun for all the family!

Reviewed 27 August 2013

The staff have an excellent knowledge of owls and birds of prey and will willingly answer any questions you may have. Although there is an admissions fee this is very reasonable. There is an opportunity to watch and partake in the bird flying show. If I had been told I would be holding out my hand and a large bird of prey would be landing on it prior to the show I may have been alarmed and not seen the show at all. But with the experts helping and holding your hand and giving you reassurance suddenly you wonder why you are afraid. They even had birds landing on peoples heads. It was an amazing show. The staff are dedicated and knowledgeable and friendly. I was also amazed at how many different species of owl there are. This is definitely well worth a visit.

1  Thank Rosemary W
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We visited the Bird of Prey centre on a Monday afternoon. We arrived 10 minutes before a display was due to take place so went to find a seat. Our initial impression was how spotlessly clean and well maintained everything was.
During the display the trainer gave information about each bird he flew with an easy and friendly manner. He and his assistant shared an easy banter and both went out of their way to include everyone, paying particular attention to the children. There was a young boy watching who was obviously wanted to take part but was shy and it was wonderful to see the gentle encouragement that the trainer gave him so that by the end he too took part and had a bird fly to him. The next display was 50 minutes later and we returned as did many of the families at the first display including the shy boy who was eager to take part again.
Between the displays we wondered round the birds, who were in spotlessly clean enclosures or tethered to their perches again all spotlessly clean. The staff were happy to answer any questions and all seemed very knowledgeable and eager to share their love for these beautiful birds.
A wonderful experience and well worth the money.

1  Thank HappyVulture