“Closed or Open? - you judge!”

Kielder Water Bird of Prey Centre
Ranked #2 of 10 things to do in Kielder
More attraction details
Owner description: Officially licensed Birds of Prey Centre set in the heart of beautiful Kielder Water and Forest Park, the only place in Britain with dark sky status.
Reviewed 7 December 2013

2 people - middle of day - mid week - early in the month (fortunately we had not driven to area just to visit here).
Suggest you take info. on their '2013 updated website' under caution! - 'phone to see to what degree they are open and def. check if they intend to operate flying demo. before you journey any distance.

Having sounded the bell, a pleasant young lady came to tell us they were not flying that day (no problem with weather) - they do not fly everyday, they are not allowed to as the site only has 9 month a year licence to do so. Offer was made for us to pay the admission fee to go in and maybe stroke a couple of birds with perhaps the chance of helping feed them later. Although we had said we were not locals, she still insisted on saying we could come again any time in the next year when they were fully open. [From Worcestershire!! - I don't think so!!).
We are big supporters of what we THINK you do - having strong associations with a similar concern in the South West. But really you missed a trick - Shoddy!!!

1  Thank V E D

Reviewed 5 December 2013

I was very lucky to win an epic experience at kielder bird of prey centre. I had an absolutely amazing day and I would recommend a trip to leaplish and the centre to everyone especially those who are admirers of birds and birds of prey. The hawk walk with Loki the Harris Hawk was amazing leaplish is surrounded by forest and Loki was a wonderful guide it was like experiencing a hawk in the wild who was your guide and friend and was such a beautiful experience to be face to face with a majestic hawk. The staff are amazing and very knowledgeable and you will learn alot from the day. The flying demonstration was also absolutely wonderful and to interact with such beautiful birds and creatures is really an experience to treasure. I would definately say for any bird enthusiast especially this is a day you would treasure forever. This is a wonderful day for young and old families and friends. There is a really lovely resturant a five minute walk from the centre the surroundings are beautiful and the surrounding area full of natural attractions wild life and the observatory.

1  Thank Tara A
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We visited the Bird of Prey Centre when we staying at the lodges in November and the 4 of us were the only visitors at the time. The staff spent quite a bit of time showing us various birds and allowing us to hold them and feed them as it was their 'dinner time'. Thoroughly enjoyable as all of us love birds and birds of prey in particular. Although we paid it was well worth the cost to see these beutiful birds first hand.

1  Thank Lizand30
Reviewed 18 November 2013

As part of our visit to the Winder Wonderland at Kielder we were allowed free entry to the bird of prey centre. We took the time to buy some food for the deer and walk around each of the bird displays to look at some of the majestic birds.
Where the centre really comes into its own is when you talk to the staff.
All were really helpful, letting my little girls (and wife) hold the baby rabbit and the gentlemen running the bird display even included my one year old by bringing one of the owls up to him so that he could stroke it.
Nothing seemed to much hassle for the staff and you could tell by the way they talk about the birds that they have a real passion for them.
All of the birds were well looked after and appeared happy (contrary to previous reviews).

I will be coming back again (and happily paying) so that we can all see the birds flying.

1  Thank geordiepaul2010
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I just wanted to thank Cath and Ray for their professionalism at my sisters wedding. As a surprise to my sister and the rest of the wedding congregation, we had planned to have 'Breeze' fly the wedding ring to the groom. On the day all was a great success and the feedback from guests were that they loved it! We were able to take pictures with breeze which has most definitely added some difference to the wedding album! Thank you once again for making my sisters wedding day that bit more special. I would thoroughly recommend to others.

1  Thank Doxfordfarm