“Friendly, informative, recommended.”

The Bike Place in Kielder
Ranked #5 of 9 things to do in Kielder
More attraction details
Owner description: The Bike Place is located in Kielder Water and Forest Park. This largest man made lake in Northern Europe, surrounded by forest creates a suberb habitat for rare animals and birds. Within the forest and around the lake, there are a varied range of cycle trails suitable for all abilities. We can help you enjoy this great wilderness, with bike hire, trail maps and free advice.For more information call 01434 250457.
Manchester, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Friendly, informative, recommended.”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Hired two bikes for the day at the very reasonable price of £25 each especially considering how good the bikes were. On the advice of Kevin, who was friendly, informative and full of good advice, we took on the full Lakeside route and were relieved that he advised us before we set off that there was over 3000ft of climbing as we originally presumed it was going to be much flatter as the name suggests. Thoroughly enjoyed the route and the bikes performed a treat. Would definitely recommend and will be using again in the near future.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Good bikes, don't be pushed into making a choice that isn't what you want to do.”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We rented 2 bikes for 4 hours. The bikes were in very good condition, cost £20 each for 4 hours which was good value.

We had planned in advance to take the blue trail along the old railway line up to the Scottish border. The guy in the shop suggested that this was a boring route and suggested that we take the green route along the south side of the lake instead, he said that he thought this route had incorrectly been labelled as a green route and should have been a blue.

Although we can't complain about the bikes the advice we were given was a bit too pushy. We felt that the guy in the shop wasn't very responsive to listening to what we wanted but more interested in giving his advice rather than listening to what we wanted to get out of a bike ride. He was also a bit rude barking out instructions on how to find the entrance to routes and saying "are you paying attention"! This did rather spoil or enjoyment. We ended up following his advice to go on the South side of the lake which I regretted, we turned back and went along the initial route along the old railway line and enjoyed that much more. We were looking for a gentle sedate ride to round off a busy week, not an up and down route that the south lake route gave.

My advice is to research in advance the route you want to go on first.

The bikes were great though and the hire options and prices are good.

Visited June 2014
TheBikePlaceKielder, Owner at The Bike Place in Kielder, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
My "pay attention ladies" remark was delivered in a light hearted fashion, and was certainly meant that way, as there seemed to be some confusion over route grading and choice. I was explaining that the Borderline (old railway) was the original Green route before the Lakeside Way was built, and that most visitors preferred to use LW now as you gain excellent views of Kielder Water along the way. Conversely, the railway line is partly in a cutting with no views, and the rest has only moorland to look at, and can be muddy in places.
Confusion may have arisen when I was explaining that the LW was graded Blue officially, but I consider it to more in the Green category. It may be more undulating than an old railway line, but has a much more consistent surface.
However, I apologise if I came over as a little "pushy", but at the end of the day I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your ride, and I appreciate your glowing comments regarding our bikes.

Many thanks for your feedback,

Ian
Malvern, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Very Helpful”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

The 2 chaps who run this are really user friendly. Knowledgeable on the area and they had our bikes ready and waiting when we arrived the next day. They are also useful for interrogations on local pubs and eating places with honest opinion. A great little facility.

Swansea, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“top notch service”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We rented two bicycles from the Kielder Centre - the service was excellent, the chap behind the counter was friendly, knowledgeable and the bikes were in great condition. The terrain around Kielder is surprisingly steep in places, plan to take longer than you might think.

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
104 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 147 helpful votes
“Great, but book in advance”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I rented a Hybrid bicycle from here and was lucky to be able to do so as I hadn't booked in advance. This place is very popular so if I need to rent a bicycle again, I will definitely ring ahead and book! It cost £50 for 2 days rental and this included the use of a helmet too. The staff advised me that the Hybrid bicycle would be suitable for the 27 mile lakeside trail and I agreed having completed the trail on this bicycle. I was required to hand in my driving licence as a deposit and I received it back upon returning the bicycle. The staff were friendly and knowledgable about the bicycle trails.