Chariot Beach Resort
US$33
US$102
US$76
Hotels.com
All reviewsthe cottagesswimming poolfive rathassea view cottageopen showerbeach resortayurvedic spamain buildingoutdoor activitiesrelaxing stayrooms are largefood was averagelong weekendspecial mentionnice poolsea foodbeautiful property
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I booked my room via Cleartrip.com and used a coupon for a discount so I got a reasonable deal for 3 nights. I booked a standard room but they upgraded me to a deluxe room upon checking in which I appreciate. The room was spacious, clean and upscale.

However, the property itself is average and the cost of food is ridiculous. The taste is average. Did not try out the complimentary breakfast buffet so can't comment on that. The swimming pool seemed clean and decent by the looks of it (did not swim).

Note: They advertised a gym which was one of the main reasons for picking this property but I found out they they were being deceptive. All they had was a dysfunctional, rusting "multi-gym" out in the open in the pool area. So if you are like me and a short workout in the gym is important to you during your stay, avoid this property at all costs.

This property is about 2 km away from the town center and autos charge ridiculous amounts (Rs. 100-150) for a one-way trip so keep that in mind.

The property also seems to lack proper security. It is fenced by the beach but there is a small gate in the fence leading to the beach and it seems anybody can walk in through there. I did not notice any security keeping a watch on who was passing through that gate.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank RaghuramK2013
Reviewed 12 September 2013

The way they treat customers is pathetic and unfriendly.
I spoke to Mr Siva to organise a team outing for 150+ ppl. He spoke to me like he was giving me the venue and food free. I was paying for the service(1000+ per person) but he made me feel like he is doing me a favour. The worst hospitality service I have ever seen.
Its great that you have a nice good looking property, but I seriously think you need to train your men to service clients(being in the hospitality industry).

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
6  Thank Aishvii
Reviewed 3 September 2013

The fourth edition of the Go Madras electronic music festival was held here and it was a great experience.

Besides the festival itself I was impressed with the hotel's ambience.

What made me mark this place average was the security or lack thereof. A friend of mine woke up on the second morning of our stay only to find her luggage strewn across the front lawn of her room and her phone was missing. On investigation we found that a labourer from the festival had scaled the wall of the open shower area and used the door to enter the room (this we found thanks to the infrared camera's placed along the pathway of the hotel)

If a hotel is to design rooms like this they should have more than just infrared cameras for security.

Room Tip: The cottages/villas that overlook the beach are the most gorgeous.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Noella C
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We were a family group of six adults and three kids, who happened to book this place for 2 nights. I must say that this hotel is a prime example of a very nice property, which lacks a really good management. The food that is served is mediocre and heavily overpriced. The rooms are okay with good beds and furniture, but water supply is totally erratic and while taking a shower, it may suddenly stop and after a few minutes, resume with scalding hot water. The swimming pool is quite big, but not well maintained. On the second day of our stay, there was some cleaning up of the pool. The beach is far away from the building and you have to depend on their buggy to take you to the beach, which is nothing great.
There were very few occupants in the hotel and one could make out that this was once a well run hotel, which has gone into managerial decay. The price that you have to pay cannot ever be justified. There are so many good resorts around the area, so one can afford to stay away from this over priced poorly managed hotel.

Room Tip: No tip, avoid this place
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank premc44
Reviewed 20 June 2013

We were a little afraid of spending time in this hotel due to prior quite bad feedback on the hotel. Well, from the very beginning we felt like being in paradise. The whole residence was very well-cared with a wonderful garden and an absolutely astonishing huge and clean pool. Everday pool service included being brought clean towels by a very helpful staff member - it was even spread for you on the lounge-chair under the palm trees.

We were upgraded to a direct seaview-appartment and enjoyed every minute there. The room - we used it with our two daughters, 8 and 11 - was very large with an adjacent large and absolutely clean bathroom. Our veranda had breath-taking views of the Indian Ocean. All staff members - from maintenance to front desk - were very friendly and supportive trying to fulfill quickly every wish we had.

Breakfast was fantastic offering more than one could eat from toast and jam with fresh fruit and cereal to ham and eggs as well a stypical Indian dishes. The whole restaurant was filled with an atmosphere of warmth and welcome.

From the hotel one can easily walk along the beach to the centre of Mahabalipuram within 15 minutes or go on a five- minute ride witha a riksha- taxi.

Thank you to everyone working in the hotel for an excellent stay!!!

Room Tip: Invest into a direct seaview appartment if you enjoy sitting on your veranda listening to the ocean at sunrise or sunset.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family