“Ripped off”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We went here for lunch. The owner/waiter offered us a variety of "special curries". There was no menu or prices up on the specials board. We asked how much each dish would cost and he replied that the fish curry would be 600 rupees! We had definitely been in India long enough to know that this was absolutely ridiculous. We replied that the price would have to be cut in half, to which he responded that we could discuss it after the food was served. The meal took over an hour to prepare. When it finally arrived, it was good, but definitely not worth 600 rupees! Also, two friends found hair in the dishes and there was also a rat that ran by in the ceiling...ugh. After the bill arrived, the price had not changed. Even after discussing with the manager and asking to see a menu, he still charged 500 rupees per dish. Overall, it was a horrible dining experience and I cannot understand why people would recommend this restaurant. The owner clearly wanted to rip us off, which he managed to do. If you decide to go here, make sure you have the prices of the dishes in writing BEFORE ordering.

1  Thank ampease
geckocafe, Inhaber at Gecko Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Thank you for your review about my place.

As far as I know you belong to the group of 20 people who visited in October 2013. I am sorry that the visit ended up in such misunderstanding about the prices and that you have been not happy in my place.

Since your group came without pre-ordering meals (a short announcement of a group of 20 people next day), we did prepare as much as possible up front before you came, but in detail we could only start after 20 people decided, and the variety of food included not only vegetable curry but also fresh seafish, chicken and prawns masala plus rice, naan, chapati as well as several drinks. That all came into a total bill of 9000 RS for your whole group as one bill, after i even did give a discount as well as free extras, like bottled water, extra rice and naan etc.
I am sorry if this arrangement led into confusion which we could not clear in place.

About higher prices than in other places of India, I only can react to common prices in our tourist place Mamallapuram. i know our prices are reasonable and surely not the highest in town. I did not intend to rip of any guests and especially with this arrangement there was no profit included for my side. But to give a full variety of lunch (with fresh fish, prawns etc) for 4500 RS for 20 people it was impossible for me to offer, even under pressure.

I am sorry for any inconvenience in my restaurant.

With kind regards
M.Mani

Reviewed 14 August 2013

Go there! This place is very nice. You can drink something or eat for a correct price and everything we tried was very good. They also have wifi if you need it.
Most of all, the owners are very friendly and open for a chat if they have time. They want you to enjoy mamallapura as good as possible and will advise you on the things to see.

1  Thank SteveAndDiana1
Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

I went to this restaurant because of good reviews on lonely planet and TA. It's 6:30pm and no one in this 'famous' restaurant, at the same time, just a few seconds walking, another restaurant(I don't want to mention the restaurant name, you will easily find out if you go there) was full of customers. I ordered mixed seafood rice, rs170. when i was waiting my food, i noticed there're some today special menu on the black board. One of them is ???(sorry, it's indian word) fish rice, i asked price, Rs450. I blurted out: it's expensive. Then the owner started to reproach me, it's not expensive, i felt it's expensive because i don't have money, i only deserve my rs170 rice, balabalabala...in a very rude tone. Yes, i am not rich even i am in India. I've been travelled in India for 2 months. In Varkala, Kovalam, Kochi, Kanyakumari, i could say rs450 for a fish fried rice is really expensive in any of above beachs, no matter what fish it is. and i just blurted out without any bad meanings,  i didn't maliciously say that. The owner didn't have to embarrass me and make me awkward standing there!
Of cause, i didn't want to stay here one more second and owner didn't go to cook my dinner too. I walked away this place and that owner abused me in indian language at my back, although i don't understand, but i can tell!
Anyway, this is not a decent restaurant, the owner is not a decent person. I don't believe they will serve you decent food with decent price!

2  Thank mikayao
Reviewed 26 July 2013

The best restaurant in town! The food is delicious and service is very-very nice. The place itself has a nice and cozy atmosphere. The best part of the restaurnt is its owner who could share with you some insights about India while serving you excellent food. Their grilled fish was the best one I got in India and overall value for money is much better than main street restaurants.

1  Thank kadri l
Reviewed 21 July 2013

On a family trip to Mahabalipuram we ended eating one meal in this place every single day. Became rather friendly with the owner who is a really nice guy, and told us about his fascinating life/entrepreneurship story. The food was the best we had in Mahabalipuram and it's always good to be in a place where they don't want to rip you off as the first opportunity arises. Also, great soundtrack.

1  Thank Art L