“Overpriced hotel”

Hotel Mamalla Heritage
Ranked #8 of 29 Hotels in Mahabalipuram
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Although the air con and fan work well, and there is a fridge, there is no mosquito netting on the windows and when the shutters are open to let in light, flies etc come in easily. Room basic. No hot water to shave with though plenty in shower. Restaurants for breakfast and dinner are good and clean though vegetarian food in the great cafes in the village is cheaper and better. Staff are reasonably friendly. Restaurant very professionally run. Swimming pool good but no nice areas to sit and relax on the shade. Much better value places around.

Room Tip: Any room is ok
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I have visited Mahabalipuram in First week of June'14 with family. We stayed in Mamalla Heritage hotel for one night. The hotel location is really good. Staff is very humble and obliged.
Best part was the north indian veg food. They have a dedicated Veg restaurant in the hotel. It is very reasonably priced and food is very good.
They can improve on the blankets quality. Otherwise everything else is good.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I had stayed at this property's Standard AC room on 02/05/2014 with my wife. Being Seniors we look for convenience and cleanliness.I had locked this property for our stay after lot of interactions on mail with their Mr Mani who very patiently and efficiently replied to all my mails. I am happy to have decided to stay at this hotel.
The nice clean hotel is located at a very convenient location at Mamallapur - all the main attractions at an arm's length.
The hotel staff was polite and courteous. The Veg restaurant was superb. We did not have to sleep half stomach as they served us one good JAIN dish.The Complementary breakfast was a delight.
However, the toilet was not convenient. The Towel Stand just above the toilet seat at an uncomfortable height without any other hook and absence of a bathing stool.
Room cupboard without a hanger and hanger rod was also a surprise. I hope that the Manager Operations, Mr P hari Prasad, must have taken care of these small things

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ASHOKMAHESHWARI
Reviewed 6 May 2014

The clean rooms are of a reasonable size. The hotel is in a good location close to all the sights, shops and beach. The hotel has a small pool but only about 6 sunbeds. The rooftop restuarant serves good food but it is a few floors up and there is no lift.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Sara246810
Reviewed 27 April 2014

My stay at the Mamallaa Heritage Hotel in Mamallapuram was a pleasureable one. I stayed there 16th to 19th September 2013. There is a small roof top restaurant that includes non-vegetarian cuisine on its menu. It is for dinner only. The main restaurant, which serves all three meals, is vegetarian. Eggs together with alcohol are forbidden. There were some interesting peculiarities which I enjoyed. Like many hotel rooms throughout India, the lock on the bathroom door was on the outside. It seems that the intention is to lock someone in the bathroom rather than prevent an infiltration of someone’s toiletry privacy. One thing is to be wary of the hotel towels. While one does not want them to be a grey colour, gleamingly white towels can indicate excessive bleach having been used. To my chagrin, I received an eye irritation from the towels. Other than that, I have no complaints regarding this hotel. Staff members, and there are a lot of them, were particularly friendly. At breakfast there were more waiting staff members than people eating breakfast. One person looked after my toast and would, if I had let him, spread butter and jam on it. Another kept a watchful eye on my coffee and eagerly wanted to add milk for me. If I had let him, the coffee would be exceedingly milky. For dinner at the hotel I had a rice dish and a freshly squeezed orange juice. I was mistakenly charged for two orange juices. The solution, which took four people to organise, was to leave the bill as it was and give me the cash for the cost of the second fruit juice I didn’t have. I think this was to save face and not make the hotel’s accounts section aware of the error when I paid my bill when checking out the next day. I got on well with the staff members with whom I had contact. I left the Mamallaa Heritage Hotel at 11:00am. There were seven staff members at reception but I wasn’t able to fathom what all of their roles in the check-out process were. Six of the seven were males, but it was the pleasantly efficient female who knew what to do. I cheekily recommended her for a salary rise – she deserved it.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Transcontinental
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I stayed here for a couple of nights while I explored the carvings. Good facilities, great food and clean with a pool. Close to bus stand so not far to walk when you arrive. Within in easy walking distance of the carvings and sites.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Cleanliness & decorations well maintained.Centrally located within walking distance to most of the interesting places. The restaurant is one of the best in Mamallapuram. The cuisine & service was good & value for money.
There was one hand wash basin, which was in sufficient for the customers who frequent the restaurant at the ground floor.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple