Hotel Samrat
Priceline
US$56
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 25 February 2013

From all the internet evaluation about this hotel, I knew that there would not be much to expect from this hotel, but what we hat experienced with this hotel really is unbelievable.
We went to Allahabad because of the Kumbh Mela festival, so we were aware of the high hotel prices during that time. We booked the hotel via hotels.com for one night, 2 days before one of the main bathing days. So we arrived there around lunch time after a 18h train trip and were just tired and exhausted. But when we arrived, this absolutely incompetent, unprofessional, snobbish and rude guy (but wearing a suit) told us that there is no booking for us, and that he does not even know a company or website called "hotels.com". Which means, although we had already paid (133 €, which was already way tooooo expensive) for this room, we did not have a booking. Which might be not such an incommon happening in India. But how he has handled the whole situation was unbelievable. He was more ore less yelling at us and treating us like parasites and told us 3 times to go to another hotel and that he did not get money so we won't get a room. We called hotels.com and they have tried to talk to this guy several times, but he wanted to have the money immideately or we would not get the room. Which was impossible, of course. While waiting for everyhting, we were sitting on the stairs next to the reception counter, because we were just tired after a long time without any sleep. Then we were told to stand up and sit somewhere else, because it "does not look nice" when we would sit there. During the whole time he was not really interested in solving our problem or us, as his customers. After about 1 hour, we decided to just pay the room again, as we were absolutely willingless at this day due to the tiredness. Then he suddenly began to change his behaviour and was the "most friendliest" person one could imagine. At least for him it was a big change. But he then charged us 15.000 Rupees for just one night in a [--] hotel. At this latest point, we really should have changed the hotel, but as I said the tiredness... So 210 € for one night. Then after 1,5 h we finally got our room. And it was desasterous. It tried to look somewhat like an upscale hotel, but everything was dirty (floor, bed, bathrooms, ...) and also broken (I almost got an electric shock, while trying to use the socket-outlet). The bathroom was sooo old and disgusting. Nothing really worked (flush, shower,...). The windows could not be closed. Air condition did not really work. And it was really, really loud during the whole night.
There are so many other things, I can't even tell. The only thing I would like to say to you!! NEVER EVER BOOK THIS HOTEL, PLEASE!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Carili86
Reviewed 30 December 2012

Well... it's sort of close to the train station. Hehehe. To be fair, my expectations weren't very high, this was the only budget thing written up in the lonely planet and it wasn't a stellar review. It wasn't cheap either, though we got there late in the evening and they only had the deluxe room left .We were just stopping over in Jhansi and needed a place to crash beetween trains, it was pretty poor though. There isn't much tourist accomodation in Jhansi, and if I had it to do over, I would have taken a taxi or rickshaw the 30minutes to Orcha which has tons of good options and come back in the morning to catch the train. Would probably even have been cheaper.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Josh T
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Very old styled place, in a terribly narrow lane, rooms very big, without any thing modern, even the TV is 1990's, very good staff, well trained, know how to service a person on travel, excellent continental menu, yet lacks a proper ambience.
The only plus point is that with money even you can't buy a good place in a hotel in ALLAHABAD.

Room Tip: Nothing special about the place but a place to stay which is better than the average and above average place in Allahabad.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Shussa
Reviewed 17 August 2012

We have booked an executive room at the first floor, the worst room I have ever been to. There was also during the night a black out and I think it was the worst choice of my life. Bathroom was like in prisoner camp in soviet union during communism, air conditioning was 30 years old almost and the room was not clean at all. I hurt myself in a old step that leads to the bathroom. Never come there again.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank SirAlex1979
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Unfortunately I had to stay in this hotel as other hotels were booked for festivity.
The hotel seems to be very old fashioned and nothing was in order. Starting from old tv which doesn't work properly followed by dirty and torn bath towel and all bathroom fitting were junked and out of order.The hotel ambience was not at all good. Complementary breakfast was just for namesake.The telephone inside was not working and the hotel manager was sorry for this.
In total I never return to this hotel nor recommend this to any one

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo