“Mixed feelings”

Scalloway Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Scalloway
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Two AA rosette restaurant showcasing local produce, particularly lamb, fish and shellfish
Stroud, United Kingdom
“Mixed feelings”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Came with high expectations. Although we're regular visitors to Shetland we've never eaten here, reputed to be among the islands' best places. Service friendly, relaxed but competent. Promising menu; as expected plenty of fishy choice, starters and mains. Imaginative but not extreme. Both my wife and I had turbot as our main dish. Unfamiliar with the fish but to our taste it was a little too rare. Accompaniments complemented it well. Ambience OK, nothing special. By 9 o'clock we were the last in dining room,with staff busying themselves around us setting up tables for next day as we set out on final course -irritating. Coffee machine had broken down so no espresso, no granita.
£70 for three courses with couple of glasses of wine.
Left with mixed feelings. Want to rate them at 3.5 - better than average but, on this occasion not that special. Will definitely give them another go, though!

• Visited June 2014

• Polish first
Lerwick, United Kingdom
“The worst meal I have eaten this year”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We did not stay at the Scalloway Hotel - we merely visited it to dine.

First of all, it was a good 45 minutes after being seated before the starters arrived. When the main course finally arrived, were dismayed to discover that the so-called "shoulder of lamb" consisted of a single dubious-looking slice of lamb served with a couple of pieces of what may or may not have been courgettes and a peculiar-looking object that might have been a flattened dumpling (though my friend thought it was a small bannock) and nothing else, in a soup plate of all possible crockery (had they run out of plates?)

We had been under the impression that the princely sum asked for the "shoulder of lamb" included vegetables and potatoes etc. but in reality these had to be ordered as "sides" and were charged in addition to the king's ransom demanded for our solitary slice of lamb which turned out to have a very peculiar consistency.

This disastrous main course cast a shadow over the entire evening and we left as soon as we had managed to choke it down, vowing never to return again.

6 Thank Simon D
Caroline M, Owner at Scalloway Hotel Restaurant, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy your meal.
The menu clearly stated “ braised spiced shoulder of lamb, potato cake, roasted aubergine and basil oil”, so I’m not sure why the ingredients of the dish that was served to you should have proved such a mystery. The way shoulder of lamb is prepared, as any butcher will tell you, is boned,rolled and sliced - which is what you got. This has been a best-seller on our summer menu, and, to date, yours is the only complaint I’ve received.
As to the plates : serving main courses in shallow bowls is hardly remarkable. Nor is charging for sides, which is an increasingly common practice as kitchens look to reduce the amount of leftover food that gets scraped into the bin.
Every dish is freshly prepared, which does take some time, especially when the restaurant is busy.
Giffnock, United Kingdom
“A very fine Restaurant”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We went to the Scalloway Hotel Restaurant (not to be confused with the Bar area in the Hotel that also serves food). The Restaurant and the Bar have different menu's.

It's a fine dining restaurant serving fresh local food cooked to a high standard. The service from the friendly staff was excellent. Three course meal for two with drinks was £76.

Booking is essential.

• Visited June 2014
Gourock
“Beautiful setting, great meal”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

On a recent visit to Shetland we drove into Scalloway on our way back to Lerwick. It's a beautiful and interesting place to visit and I'd recommend it. We popped into the hotel for coffee and I glanced at the menu. Help mah boab, jings!

It was so mouth watering that I booked for that night, our last before heading to Orkney. There was so much I'd have liked to eat and so little time. However the lobster caught my eye. I realised that it would be extremely fresh and local so could hardly stop thinking about it but there was no price. The rest of the menu was reasonably priced but I had no idea.

Hubby offered to buy me a piece of jewelry in the afternoon but I refused to keep the dosh for the lobster.

When we arrived, on a Thursday evening, it was busy. The dining room was lovely with windows on 2 sides letting in the light, lovely white linen and sparkling cutlery and glass. The waitresses were great; helpful and friendly.

The lobster varied from £24 to £32 which was great and nothing to break the bank. We didn't have a starter in order to do justice to the main course. I had, obviously, the lobster. Hubby had megrime sole, samphire and green beans with some foraged winkles with a burnt butter sauce. Both he and the man beside us were very happy with their choice My lobster was simply grilled with butter and served with a salad and chips. Superb.

The wine list was reasonably priced and hubby spotted one he was familiar with. A 2012 Babiche Sauvignon blanc was £25 and excellent. I could only have a wee half glass.

Desserts were lovely and quite complex I think. I enjoyed a Chai masala creme brullee (massive) with cinnamon ice cream servied in a brandy snap cup. Hubby, who had scoffed the remainder of the wine, had some ice cream.

We ended with coffee and a brandy for himself.

The manager spoke to us and gave us his card for future visits which was lovely and appreciated.

• Visited May 2014
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
“A tasty way to end our busy day!”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Our B&B (Benages) had recommended the hotel for dinner so we turned up without a booking, was given a time to eat and went for a walk around Scalloway which is a pleasant village, exploring the castle. We returned to the hotel bar for a drink which was light, airy and roomy. We went through for dinner - the restaurant was quite busy (Father's Day) and we enjoyed our meal. The food was fresh and tasty, with friendly and efficient service.

Visited June 2014