“Where eagles dare”

and up
Private Werfen Ice Cave and Golling Waterfall from Salzburg
Ranked #2 of 12 things to do in Werfen
More attraction details
Owner description: An imposing 11th-century fortress.
Reviewed 15 November 2013

And yes this is the castle where the movie "Where eagles dare" was filmed. Being a big fan of WW2 movies I wanted to visit it for long and I can see now is a dream come true. Visit was very well organized and one main attractions was a show of hunting with eagles/hawks etc.

All reviews
"ice cave"
in 7 reviews
"steep hill"

Reviewed 18 October 2013

A must see if you are in the area!

Go for the Falconry and enjoy knowing Burg Hohenwerfen was used in a few scenes of “Where Eagles Dare” with Clint Eastwood and Richard Burton. Classic movie!

The falconry show was amazing. We sat just to the right of the little pond in the courtyard where the show is held. My wife had a sea eagle fly past her, the eagle flew within two feet of my wife. She said she could feel the wind from its flapping wings.

I took off one star because of the castle tour. On the day we went, there was a group of 20 something German speaking visitors’ and 20 something Italians and two Americans for the 1pm tour. Being first in line for the non German speaking line, I understood ( I speak German, my wife doesn’t) what was being said and our guide that day didn’t want to bother with a group that large.

We waited 20 min, were given audio guides and led along the way at a pace so fast there wasn’t enough time to listen and view the areas being described. My wife and I felt very rushed! Adding insult to injury, a hat was placed on the ground right where we exited….for tips. The cheek!

Go for the birds, the scenery and if you get a good tour guide/experience, consider it a bonus.

1  Thank JCS07
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I have just read many of the recent reviews and they describe the place brilliantly!! We were staying in Werfen at The Werfenerhof Hotel which is situated just below the fortress. The fortress/castle towers above the village in a commanding position. It was a perfect Autumn day when we visited, cool crisp air and a bright blue sky. I am also an avid photographer, so hundreds of photos have been taken of this amazing place. The funicular ride up and the tour were quite affordable and we opted to walk back down leisurely through the forest path. We watched both the morning and the afternoon falconry show ( take a camera with extra good zoom for the best photos or perhaps a video ). We also had lunch there which was okay and gave us time to rest before walking some more. There are a lot of steps if you go up to the bell tower and a steep little ladder to get right to the top ( still worth doing for the views ). It was a day we will always remember and treasure, so be sure to add it to your itinery.

1  Thank Kerry F
Reviewed 14 October 2013

On an impulse I booked a train ride from Austria to Werfen based simply on a photo I had seen of Burg Hohenwerfen. My wife and I had a 3-week commitment in Vienna and sought a weekend get-away, for which we were not disappointed. Lucky for us the weather and snow-capped conditions were perfect and the best part was the view and photographic opportunities from outside this medieval fortress. Perfectly situated within the Salzsach Valley, draped by low-hanging clouds and a snowy backdrop I was captivated by the scenery and shot photo after photo.

Inside we enjoyed a nice -if quaint- falconry demonstration for which we arrived at the perfect time. Otherwise, its a bit touristy, but does a great job of appeasing children and the younger set with period-specific games and activities.

Picturesque describes it best!

1  Thank pvschmieder