“Birds of Prey Sashay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Book In Advance
More Info
US$527.54*
and up
Werfen World's Largest Ice Caves and Golling Waterfalls Private Tour from...
Ranked #2 of 3 things to do in Werfen
More attraction details
Owner description: An imposing 11th-century fortress.
Maple Grove, Minnesota
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Birds of Prey Sashay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

It was the falcon show as everyone knows that is a main attraction. I've pictured the traditional attire of the raptor handlers and their Nesierax in gloved hand. The weather that day was gorgeous and we felt transported to a different time. Location, location, location. The castle hovers over the highway from Salzburg and is easily ascend by tram. This is the stuff that fairytales are made of.

Visited June 2013

16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Birds of Prey Show”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

The Birds of Prey show is incredible! We happened upon it by chance, but it well worth your time! If I went back again, I would plan the trip to Werfen around it! A must see!

Visited September 2013
2 Thank StefaniF
Prague, Czech Republic
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Where eagles dare”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

And yes this is the castle where the movie "Where eagles dare" was filmed. Being a big fan of WW2 movies I wanted to visit it for long and I can see now is a dream come true. Visit was very well organized and one main attractions was a show of hunting with eagles/hawks etc.

Visited October 2013
St Louis
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Still have not seen Clint in Carmel CA or here at Burg Hohenwerfen”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

A must see if you are in the area!

Go for the Falconry and enjoy knowing Burg Hohenwerfen was used in a few scenes of “Where Eagles Dare” with Clint Eastwood and Richard Burton. Classic movie!

The falconry show was amazing. We sat just to the right of the little pond in the courtyard where the show is held. My wife had a sea eagle fly past her, the eagle flew within two feet of my wife. She said she could feel the wind from its flapping wings.

I took off one star because of the castle tour. On the day we went, there was a group of 20 something German speaking visitors’ and 20 something Italians and two Americans for the 1pm tour. Being first in line for the non German speaking line, I understood ( I speak German, my wife doesn’t) what was being said and our guide that day didn’t want to bother with a group that large.

We waited 20 min, were given audio guides and led along the way at a pace so fast there wasn’t enough time to listen and view the areas being described. My wife and I felt very rushed! Adding insult to injury, a hat was placed on the ground right where we exited….for tips. The cheek!

Go for the birds, the scenery and if you get a good tour guide/experience, consider it a bonus.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank JCS07
Brisbane, Australia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Falconry show is a highlight!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

I have just read many of the recent reviews and they describe the place brilliantly!! We were staying in Werfen at The Werfenerhof Hotel which is situated just below the fortress. The fortress/castle towers above the village in a commanding position. It was a perfect Autumn day when we visited, cool crisp air and a bright blue sky. I am also an avid photographer, so hundreds of photos have been taken of this amazing place. The funicular ride up and the tour were quite affordable and we opted to walk back down leisurely through the forest path. We watched both the morning and the afternoon falconry show ( take a camera with extra good zoom for the best photos or perhaps a video ). We also had lunch there which was okay and gave us time to rest before walking some more. There are a lot of steps if you go up to the bell tower and a steep little ladder to get right to the top ( still worth doing for the views ). It was a day we will always remember and treasure, so be sure to add it to your itinery.

Visited September 2013