“Made our visit perfect”

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Made our visit perfect”
Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

If you want a really special day then this is the visit. It is a bit of a slog on the walks & the cable car was pretty scary but the caves are something else. If you are a bit unsure on ya legs don't even think about it, it is a 1400 step up & down walk but the rewards are quite something. You take your own light round with you & the tour takes around an hour with a great guide. There is also a bar/restaurant with views to die for.

Visited October 2013

• Slovak first
Cairns
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Icy steps in darkness with a bored guide - but the view outside was magnificent”
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I was very excited about this visit on our European tour and although nature is magnificent this experience was not the highlight I had hoped for. I read all the reviews and prepared the family with layers of warm clothing and good walking shoes. We parked quite a way from the ticket shop but that was ok as we knew we'd have to walk. We chose the cable lift access as I have a knee recovering from surgery and I cannot yet hike. We prepped in the cave mouth along with many others and joined our guide for the English tour. I'm guessing that the guides are winter ski instructors and summer cave guides.
There is a great whoosh of air when you go through the door to the caves. This freaked one woman out and she ran back knocking others out of the way - not a good start. We were told no photography and ignorant people kept taking flash pictures which upset the guide. To explain - the caves are dark, people only have a few little lamps to light the way, and the stairs are wet, and you've guessed it - icy! Therefore every time a flash goes off you cannot see for a split second and could easily slip and fall. As it happens two people fell during our tour, not badly, but one of them knocked two other people before they came to a halt. It's a question of safety - just buy the postcards... The caves do narrow and you stoop through some low sections. This freaked a second woman out and she wanted to leave but we were halfway up and another tour was already behind us -too late. The guide took the steps at a nice easy pace.
My family completed the tour and we were glad that we did it. The disappointments were that although the guide spoke excellent English he sounded bored to tears, to the point that he almost couldn't be bothered, and the second let-down was the complete darkness of the caves. In all the promotional material the ice is lit up and looks so beautiful. I understand that lights would introduce heat but even if they had LEDs that emit very little heat it would be a vast improvement. I was unable to take in many of the sights as I had to watch my footing on the stairs, so I basically did the tour looking at the floor the whole time - not much fun. The views from the cave mouth were stunning and that is what I will remember from this trip.

Visited August 2013
3 Thank Hazel M
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
84 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“One of natures wonders”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

The ice cave is a natural marvel, a large cavern covered naturally in ice. This tour allows you to walk into the heart of the mountain, seeing naturally created ice sculptures that change every year. Worth viewing if your looking for something different.

Things to note are even with the bus and the cable car there is still a lot of walking involved. Inside the cave there are around 700 stairs. Photography inside the cave is not permitted, and warm weather gear is required as it is about zero degrees inside even in summer.

Visited August 2013
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Could be better”
Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

It is not like the pictures in their website. It is very dark and we cannot see very well with the weak lights that they provide. It would be much better if there was artificial light inside. It is not allowed to take pictures because they say it would slow down the tour. I cannot agree because at several times the tour stopped and it would be perfectly possible to take pictures. It seems to be that the weak lights they provide and the lack of ilumination inside is just to force you not to take pictures so that they can sell more postcards. Also the tours should be divided in german and english, but in our tour the guide decided to mix both groups, so he was talking half german and half some kind of funny weird hard to understand tirol english. Overall is not as impressive as it looks on their website.

1 Thank tscherer
Paris, France
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“A wonderland,a must see!”
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I went there with my Austrian friend and wow, I have never seen something similar elsewhere. You have to hike all the way up even after taking the cable car. The entry already gives you an amazing feeling. Yet, there are so many groups of visitors, we did wait for at least 1 hour before finally getting in. It's really cold and dark inside so make sure you wear the right clothe and shoes( we didn't...)The guide walks slowly so you can follow easily but you have to be really careful as it's dark and slippery even. The tour lasted for an hour I assume, you would fee like you are living in ICE AGE. I definitely recommend this place.

去奧地利一定要參觀的景點, 獨特的經驗. 可是裡面非常冷而且都是冰, 記得穿保暖以及防滑的鞋子. 從入口進來有一段路, 所以要有足夠的體力,此外我沒看到販賣食物的地方, 要吃飽阿!不然在身上放個巧克力也可以!

Visited December 2012