“Clean, comfortable and cheap”
Review of hotelF1 Arras Est

hotelF1 Arras Est
Reviewed 9 August 2014

A Formula One (F1) hotel was virgin territory for me. I have saw them advertised on various booking sites - always with very cheap prices and more often out of town - and heard people in the passing refer to F1 hotels as a ‘joke’ or with an air of snobbery that such hotels were ‘beneath ones’ status. Anyway, I’d planned a rail trip around the Pas de Calais at very short notice and looked for availability more than anything else. The F1 at Arras came at a very suspicious low price (19 Euros) which I would normally avoid as something ‘dodgy’. It was also out of town a bit out of town (just under 2 miles from the train station and further from the town centre which lies a short distance beyond). It was a beautiful sunny day. Peak hour was upon me by the level of road traffic around. And It didn’t seem a good idea to fork out on a taxi which, with the roads as busy as they were, probably cost about 75% of the cost of the hotel to get there. [Point of reference for travellers - paying a few quid (or Euros) more for a hotel can be more beneficial than paying for transport to a cheaper outlying hotel - you can trust me, I’ve got a first aid certificate!]. Anyway, I was well wearied and tired as I made my way to the hotel on beyond the outskirts of the town.

The hotel is just off the main road (D939) from Cambrai heading into Arras on a bypass road (D60) which leads north of Arras. The lady at reception had no English but using my best “Franglais” I satisfactorily booked in. There is no key. You get a sheet of paper, with your room number on it and a six figure code which you use to open your room door.

The room can best be described as ‘student digs’; very bare and spartan. There a metal frame double bed with a single bed above it. Wood chip wallpaper, painted white, decorated the walls - although there was quite an interesting blue painted broad stripe at the window end of the room which rose up from the floor, up the wall, across the ceiling and down the other side. A feature, which I liked so much, that I may adopt for my kitchen when I redecorate it. There is a sink but no soap provided. I had 2 plug sockets, one high up next to the TV which meant if you plugged something in it had to charge dangling from a height, unless you had a long lead and a second socket net to sink, obviously for use for hair drying and using the mirror. A poor design is the light switches; there is one for a light beneath the TV to illuminate he small desk area and the second one, for the main room light, is at the door. There is nothing bedside which means if you need the light you have to physically get up manoeuvre across the room etc etc...... There is quite a heavy flow of traffic on the road outside. My room was at the hotel front so I had the dilemma of traffic noise and ‘fresh air’ from the open window or reduced noise and stuffiness from the closed window. There is no air conditioning.

The room was very clean and comfortable and I couldn’t see any rationale for the negative attitude towards this branch of hotels. The hotel room is very similar in design and layout to many of the Baladin or Ibis Budget type of hotels I’ve stayed in previously - with the big exception of no en-suite. I am a little set in my ways and I’ve moved on from my younger days frequenting hostels and the like with communal / shared bathroom and shower facilities. But at this price you expect a certain level of facilities. In my hall their was a few toilets (which no sink) and shower cubicles. The noise level rose in your room as you could hear the entire floor make their way to carry out their functions just before bedtime. There was a similar, much busier, and noisier peak in the morning.

In all it achieved its primary aim - to give me a clean and comfortable place to sleep on my travels. A tick in the box.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for hotelF1 Arras Est

Reviewed 15 December 2013

I've usually stayed in Premiere Classe hotels on my shoestring budget jaunts to France, but this hotel was better placed for where I wanted to be, so I took the chance.
I was fairly pleasantly surprised at the standard of the room. It was very clean and nice and warm, which in the middle of November is a must.
In the trade off between F1 and Premiere Classe, I lost my own bathroom facilities and gained a carpet, but as the shower and toilet were 5 metres away down a corridor, it hardly mattered.
If I have to say anything negative about the layout of the room, it would be the placement of electrical sockets which would be awkward if you weren't prepared. I've seen this sort of thing before though and now travel with an extension cable which makes life much easier.
The bed was clean and comfy, but a little low.
Interaction with staff was minimal, but the ones I did speak to were helpful and pleasant.
I'm looking forward to going back in a couple of weeks time.

Room Tip: Despite my room facing a dual carriageway, I wasn't disturbed by traffic noise, so I reckon anyw...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Nigel M
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Not for fussy people but then F1 never claimed to be luxurious. We found the rooms and the public areas clean and tidy but strongly suspect the drains can't cope when the hotel is full. Everything worked fine late at night but in the morning I struggled to find a toilet that wasn't blocked and then took two goes to flush away a tiny piece of toilet paper. Staff seem to be there quite late - which is not always the case with F1 - so we didn't have the worry of trying to get the self-service check-in to work even though we didn't get there until after 2000 (reception staff were still there when we came back from dinner at 2200). Some minor issues with the fixtures. As usual, the sink had no plug - surely a false economy given that this must mean people use more water and power than necessary. One of the electric sockets was completely useless because it was so close to the bed frame that you couldn't get a plug near it; and the only other one was a foot above head height so unless you had a long flex it was of limited use. And the TV had no English language channel. But, as I said above, it's a place to lay your head not a luxury hotel. Breakfast at under €5 with unlimited access to a very limited selection is a must for anyone like me who can't get going without at least 3 cups of coffee.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We stayed here once before and found it basic but very much served a sleeping stopover. This time though it was not pleasant at all. Our first room was extremely grubby with something I dare not mention having been left on the top bunk. The second room we were moved to by the apologetic person on reception was a smoking room even though I was told it wasn't (ashtray was a giveaway, let alone the smell), and it had about 6 flies in it and a slightly grubby floor. It made me wonder what was there that the flies were so attracted to. I couldn't wait to leave the next morning. The only reason I give two stars and not one is that another couple with us said their room was fine.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Kiwi_wanderers1
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Stayed at this F1 on 21st July 2012 as needed somewhere between Calais and Paris. We arrive at about 2am had a slight problem gaining entry as the entry code on our confirmation code didn't work. However a member of staff came and let us in so no major issue. And although it was the middle of the night member of staff was still helpful and polite. Room very basic which is what we expected but clean and comfortable. Breakfast was basic but tasty especially the brioche but very reasonably priced. Good secure parking and was ideal for our stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Good value. Not as clean as the F1 in Tinqueux, Reims where we stopped on the way down. Quiet location. Easy drive into Arras which us lovely and has lots of bars and restaurants. Dogs can stay for a 3 euro supplement payable on arrival. Very basic hotel but great if all you need is a bed for the night.

Room Tip: No restaurant bt an't remove rating!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 June 2012

We booked a room online on the accor website, when we arrived they only had smoking rooms left, the receptionist said they didn't smell bad, but the stank and we have a 4 month old baby, there was no way we were going to stay, so we carried on down to Senlis and paid a bit more for the Ibis - very nice.

They won't refund us because we booked and online rate with no cancellation - not really the point, they didn't have a room for us.
I stayed here last year and it was an ok stopping off point but I'm furious about the terrible service we received. I would say you get what you pay for, but we didn't even get that !

• Stayed: June 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tilloy-les-Mofflaines
Premiere Classe Arras - Saint-Laurent-Blangy - Parc Expo
Premiere Classe Arras - Saint-La...
#1 of 1 in Saint-Laurent-Blangy
#7 of 14 in Arras
Holiday Inn Express Arras
Ibis Arras Centre Les Places
Najeti Hotel de L'univers

Been to hotelF1 Arras Est? Share your experiences!