“Perfect tranquility in a beautiful setting”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wingham
The Retreat at Witherdens Hall
Ranked #2 of 5 Wingham B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 September 2010

We found The Retreat quite by chance as we were trawling the web to find somewhere suitable for children, close to Howletts zoo and also a lovely standard for the adults! The Retreat was just perfect in every way. Beautifully clean and ready for our arrival with organic local produce in the fridge all we had to do was unpack our weekend bags! The kids rushed off to meet the pigs and chickens and check (frequently!!!) for fresh eggs as we instantly relaxed from our hectic London lives. Craig and Louise were perfect hosts and made us feel that we were old friends coming to stay and at the same time left us to get on with things. It was our son's 4th birthday (hence the zoo visit) and when the grandparents came back for birthday cake they too were impressed with the set up. Feeling rather exhausted from the travel down I slept on the crystal bed and think it was the best night's sleep since before I had children! Small touches such as beautiful bed linen and bath salts make you feel pampered and special. It just goes to show that is is possible to stay away with small children and also feel like adults. Weather was on our side for the whole weekend- the kids were outdoors and slept like babies in the car on the way home. A big bonus!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 11 August 2010

We stayed 3 nights at Witherdens Hall and I would like to say I will definitely be going back soon.
Louise and Craig were amazing hosts and Marilyn's reiki treatment is something not to be missed. It felt welcoming, homely to be here and utterfly peaceful.
We were among the first people to make use of the 'mini spa' facilities on site i.e. infra red sauna and steam bath (only 1 person use at a time) - not my cup of tea personally, but nice to have none the less.
Just few miles from here is a splendid, authentic Ayurvedic Spa for serious spa goers - check out tor spa.
The retreat place is thouroughly organic from the foodstuff to shower gels and dishwashing liquid, leaving you feeling quite nourished mentally and physcially.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 May 2010

Our own night stay at the retreat was perfect. Craig, Louise and Alice are an amazing family and we feel so privileged to have been treated like family during our short stay. We had an amazing rest and slept more soundly than we have in years. The perfect place to visit local farm shops, beautiful gardens and meet some of the ugliest, yet cutest pigs on the planet was the perfect escape from the city. We are already planning our return and were heartbroken to leave after such a short stay.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2010

In a tranquil setting down a small country lane just out side the village of Wingham, Witherdens Hall is ideally located. Incredibly peaceful, it has the most relaxing atmosphere of anywhere we can recall staying, easing away those daily stresses that build up, leaving both my partner and i utterly chilled.
The accommodation was perfectly judged, combining a sense of space with an intimate feel.
Louise was a wonderful discreet host, there if needed.
We shall definitely be back, hopefully sooner rather than later..

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 April 2010

The Retreat at Witherdens Hall is a fantastic place to relax and unwind. Set in a quiet village (you won't hear a sound) with light and immaculate rooms, comfy beds (one even has a healing bed where you will have your best nights sleep ever), modern bathroom and kitchen and lovely open plan sitting room with plenty of interesting books to read and DVD's to watch. Close to local farmers markets and many attractions - 10 minutes from fabulous beaches and great coastal towns where you can eat fantastic food. Go to Sandwich Bay and Whistable for day trips. We just loved our stay there, really felt at home and the hosts look after your every needs so we'll be sure to return again very soon. We would highly recommend to couples or families - or even if you want to go on your own to escape for a while.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 January 2010

The converted barn where we stayed was extremely clean, spacious and inviting. The friendly owner had left stunning stargazer lilies and freshly picked raspberries on the table for us and the kitchen was stocked with all the organic bread, milk and cereals you could wish to eat. The surrounding area was perfectly quiet and has a good local farm shop within walking distance. You can also organise for a local masseuse to treat you with various therapies where you say. I found this was the perfect place to relax and escape the stresses of London life.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 December 2009

In Novermber 09 I took a week off to take stock of my work and my pattern of life. I really got off to a good start when I booked two nights away at ‘The Retreat at Witherdens Hall’. It’s not a retreat in the denominational sense of following a Christian or Buddhist programme. It’s essentially a detached annex to the owners’ house, a beautifully executed conversion of a farm building, provided on a B&B basis. Everything is organic and as local as possible – I loved the apple juice, sausages, eggs and, particularly, the freshly baked loaf I was presented with on arrival.

That said, The Retreat is able to offer a wide range of treatments, provided on the spot, and support for business, professional and personal development work. Having got to know the place I will definitely be going back and will be planning to include some treatments or coaching sessions.

The real impact of The retreat for me, though, came from the palpable ambience that the owners, Louise and Craig, have managed to create. I abstained from the TV and music on offer, and from the wifi (with the exception of quick dips into my iPhone) in order to be quiet and to read and write. It takes a good 24hrs for this to happen, so that the noise you brought with you starts to die down and you can almost literally start to hear yourself think. But I think that the setting helped this to happen more quickly and deeply for me – I’m not sure if it’s the light, the garden, the décor… but one clue was the vase of freshly cut flowers from the garden which somehow brought the season indoors. I think that Louise and Craig have imparted something of themselves to The Retreat and made it personal. The delicious paella brought over for me on the evening of the second day was another example. On one level it was my dinner order, but on another it was a share in their own evening meal.

As I said, all this got me off to a great start in my reflections. I recommend The Retreat and I suggest that anyone wanting to undertake a peaceful stock-take should book at least three nights… as my two night stay was only just enough.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wingham
Cathedral Gate Hotel
#1 of 73 in Canterbury
The Millers Arms
The Millers Arms
#4 of 73 in Canterbury

Been to The Retreat at Witherdens Hall? Share your experiences!