“A fantastic family meal”
Review of The Anchor

The Anchor
Ranked #2 of 6 Restaurants in Wingham
Price range: £6 - £17
Cuisines: Steakhouse, British, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: GARDEN NOW OPEN!! We are a community Pub in the heart of the village of Wingham. We pride ourselves on our Homemade Food which is traditional and very tasty, we do our upmost to use fresh, locally grown produce. We have a separate restaurant area which is open from 12 til 3pm for lunch and 6 til 8.30pm for Dinner Mon - Sat and 12 til 4pm on Sundays for Sunday Lunch, which includes a Roast meat baguette option. The a la carte menu is not available on Sundays. We have themed evenings with a Steak Night every Thursday and Fish 'n' Chips on Fridays. We have Live music in the bar/garden every Saturday and Sunday from 4 til 6pm and also have regular music events in our Arts Centre style venue upstairs.
Reviewed 17 August 2020 via mobile

We have just had a fabulous family meal at the Anchor. Absolutely first class in making us all feel safe. Brilliant for social distancing, one way system, antibac stations and staff wearing face coverings when serving food to customers. Excellent food and as always exceptionally friendly staff even in these strange times. Wouldn't hesitate to go there again and would highly recommend it. The Eat Out To Help Out scheme makes already good value for money even better. Thank you Michelle,Kev and staff.

Date of visit: August 2020
TheAnchorWingham, Owner at The Anchor, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2020

Thanks so much for this, I'll pass on your comments to the rest of the team. The Eat Out Help Out has made us crazy busy and everyones working so hard to maintain standards, glad we impressed you. See you again soon

Reviewed 25 July 2020 via mobile

The Landlady and her family are all lovely people and very hospitable and polite.

Amazing garden out back which was undiscovered until Covid restrictions put it to good use, it’s literally massive!

I ordered cheesy chips as we were having a few drinks in the garden and I was genuinely surprised by what we received, chips were excellent homemade sort and the cheese had been baked on in the oven, absolutely delicious for something so simple...

Date of visit: July 2020
1  Thank 504alistairm

Thanks Alistair, come and try our Steak and Ale Pie or Doombar Battered Cod and Chips, we pride ourselves on doing the simple things well. See you again soon I hope

Reviewed 14 March 2020 via mobile

Called in midweek with my son. We had a great meal. I had liver and bacon. Delicious gravy. My son had chicken melt. Very reasonably priced and would recommend happily.

Date of visit: March 2020

Thanks Susan, so many people say how much they missed their Liver and Bacon over lockdown, one of my favourites too. See you again soon I hope

Reviewed 10 March 2020

Following my review in 2017 we managed to get around to having a Sunday lunch after a game of the excellent bar billiards which is still played in this atmospheric and busy pub.

We ate late in an attempt to avoid the 'little darlings' but unfortunately there were still a few around and even more so, they decided to sit near us with no thought of other diners but....the food, when it came was absolutely stunning. My wife had a 'Yorkshire' the like of which I've not seen before and tremendous portions of well-cooked beef. I had a large prawn cocktail starter and roast pork main AND I actually got some crackling too! My wife went for a delicious dessert.

This really was one of the best, value-for-money roast lunches we've ever had and can't wait to go back next year on our next holiday.

Date of visit: February 2020

Thank you Frohlix, we think it's the little things that matter and Yorkshires and Crackling along with the Gravy are the things that really enhance a Sunday Lunch. I'll pass on your comments to our Chefs. See you next year I hope

Reviewed 20 February 2020 via mobile

Took a trip to Ash to look at a car with my dad and we fancied lunch on our way home so popped into The Anchor in Wingham after looking at other tripadvisor reviews. We weren’t disappointed - friendly staff, great chicken burger, reasonable prices and nice atmosphere. Plus the fruit machine kept my baby entertained. Win win.

Date of visit: February 2020