“Best of the best!”

Ranked #16 of 17 Speciality Lodging in Muri
Te Kuiti, New Zealand
“Best of the best!”
Reviewed 26 March 2013

Vara's Beach House exceeded all my expectations! It's located amongst all the luxury hotels at the famous Muri Beach and your room is only two steps away from the most beautiful lagoon I've ever seen! It's definitely perfect for people who only got little money, but don't wanna miss out on a great stay in paradise. The beds are comfortable and clean, the kitchen is not one of the latest, but still okay and the staff are friendly and nice. All in all my best holiday so far! I love Raro :)

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
London, Canada
Reviewed 3 March 2013

A great budget minded location, with an excellent staff, very friendly front desk. The studio apartments are worth the expense, nicely appointed, very clean.
Great outer deck overlooking the lagoon, great for sunning, partying and meeting other travelers.
Good beaches out front, fun to take the bus around the island as well.
Can be a bit inset at night depending on who is. Around partying!

Room Tip: Spend the extra for a studio room.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Taupo
Reviewed 11 February 2013

Perfect location right on Muri lagoon. Transfers from airport for $10 each way. Friendly and helpful staff, especially Dave the night manager. Rooms clean and functional, kitchen could do with new some new equipment.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Te Awamutu, Waikato, New Zealand
Reviewed 31 January 2013

Best hospitality i have ever experienced, truly lovely family and very welcoming and helpful with whatever questions we had. The room was great and clean. The barbecue and pool area were a lot of fun. Would definitely go back!

Room Tip: All good :)
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 29 January 2013

Serena and Conrad and extended family. What can we say but WOW, the hospitality the accommodation. OUTSTANDING, nothing was ever a problem, I just hope that we weren’t to rowdy for you. Your children and family are a delight and very welcoming. The accommodation was perfect and exactly what was in the picture. Perfect for us.
Your lagoon cruise was an absolutely fabulous day out thoroughly entertaining and worth every sent, also your family it was a pleasure to share and watch the delight and love they put into their work. We will be back if you will have us. And to those people that are reading this the pictures on this website are true and doesn’t disappoint.

Aere ra
Meitaki

Room Tip: All of them are fantastic
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Rosie1811027
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 8 January 2013

Went there for the second time.
Such a beautiful location and staff.
To me it feels like home.
Nice to have a private room, though the dorms look very good too.
Well equiped with kitchens and cabinets for your food,
Trips can be arranged at the office,
When you find a coconut, the gardener will cut it open.
I had lost some stuff (my own fault), but they helped me find it again.
Even sent text messages late night to the other staff members to inform/ask to take a look
Thank you for that! Very social, sweet people.

I'll see you later this year!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 6 January 2013

We opted to stay at Vara's in one of the private beach studios when we visited Rarotonga recently for a friend's wedding. Our room was clean and comfortable, with a comfy double bed plus one single which was handy for popping our extra bits and pieces on. As we were there for a week we actually unpacked our bags completely into the adequate and useful drawers and wardrobe. The kitchen in the studio was handy, with a small fridge, cook-top, pots and pans, kettle, and a small selection of utensils. All we needed to sort ourselves out and keep some beer cold! There wasn't any air-conditioning, but a great ceiling fan kept the air moving and we slept under damp sarongs on the hottest nights to keep cool. The bathroom was functional and clean with dependable hot and cold water in the shower.

What really makes this place stand out though is the friendliness of the staff. I even came back to find that the cleaner, Amy, had folded my clothes which I'd left on the spare bed! Bless! When I saw her I told her she didn't have to and she just smiled and said she was very happy to. Also, such is their commitment to keeping their customers happy, I overheard one of the staff asking a new recruit if they knew how to catch a rooster as the most common 'complaint' they received on TripAdvisor was the noise of roosters early in the morning!! However, I didn't really notice the roosters, and if I had, I would happily chalk it up to Island living.

The location is brilliant - literally on the beach front and pleasant beach walk or rented motor-scooter ride down to 'Fruits' where the snorkelling is utterly amazing.

A number of other guests at the wedding we attended paid more than twice as much as us for their accommodation at other 'resorts' nearby, plus a whopping $50 a day for air-conditioning, and from what I could tell, we were actually closer to the beach than they were!

I would happily recommend Vara's to all laid back travellers and holiday-makers. My husband and I are just slightly past 'back-packing' but found the studio option at Vara's was perfect for us and we would definitely go back.

On a general note - Rarotonga is absolutely beautiful and the vibe of the place leaves you feeling relaxed and happy. People are super friendly and we felt very safe. We had taken some food with us (which is allowed from NZ) as we'd heard it was expensive to buy food there, but actually found that it wasn't that bad - no more than we have become used to paying in Christchurch for a meal out - plus you have reasonably priced everything available at the supermarket or cheap and cheerful fried chicken venues readily available.

Room Tip: The studio rooms upstairs were great for catching the sea breeze and avoiding the noise of guests re...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends