My wife and I recently (early April, 2013) spent two blissful weeks with our two teenage twins at Rumours Luxury Villas in Raratonga, Cook Islands. After deciding to visit an island in the South Pacific, somewhere a bit "off the beaten track", we decided on Raratonga and then commenced our investigation to find the best place on the island to stay. We found it: Rumours Luxury Villas!
From the time my wife first spoke to Carol at Rumours to book our reservation, to being picked up at the airport and brought to our villa, and up until the time we left after our 2 week stay and were driven back for our midnight flight back to Los Angeles, outstanding service with a cheerful smile was the watchword.
Upon arrival, we were met and whisked 20 minutes away to Rumours. We stayed in Villa 7 at the end of the beach adjacent to the spa. Villa 7 was fabulous; from the plunge pool and barbecue in the courtyard to the hot tub on the deck overlooking the ocean, everything was top-notch. The ocean front view during the day and the unobstructed starry sky at night were beyond compare. The villa came with 2 kayaks parked in the sand and all we had to do in the morning was push them 10 feet into the water. The water was crystal clear, full of fish and warm. Make sure and check out one of the best snorkeling beaches on the island; opposite the smoothies shop, Fruits of Raratonga. It's a short 200 meter beach walk from our villa or a 2 minute drive. We snorkeled all over the island and, for clarity of the water and variety of tropical fish, this is the best spot by far!
Every villa has a full kitchen with fridge, stove, micro, coffee maker, etc. A "cook-it-yourself" breakfast (bacon, eggs, croissant, fresh fruit, cereal, bread, etc.) was delivered each day. Lunch was a casual affair (we would suggest Moorings, an outdoor cafe known for their fresh fish sandwiches or their marinated chicken sandwiches, delicious!) or Jack's for the view and pizzas, and for dinner you could dine in or dine out. We love the Tamarind or The Flame Tree for their lovely ambience and delicious food. There are also plenty of places to buy groceries, produce and wine in Raratonga. You could also borrow DVDS from the front office to watch movies or just relax and appreciate the beauty and luxury of the villa and surroundings, or get a wonderful facial
or massage. Our two weeks went by so fast, we were really wishing we could have stayed longer!
Grant, the manager (and Carol's husband) was a pure delight! His team could not do enough to make our stay perfect. He could recommend a restaurant from casual to elegant and was always able to get us a reservation for dinner (even though we often called him late that same afternoon). He arranged for a day trip to Aitutaki, where he arranged a sightseeing tour, snorkeling and fishing charter with Black Pearl. Somehow Grant was able to get us seats on Air Raratonga for the flight at Aitutaki even though their website said they were sold out. He even knew where we could get an authentic handmade ukulele! (He obviously was a magician before switching to the hospitality industry).
We did check out some of the other top rated accommodations in Raratonga, which were nice enough, but just did come close to Rumours for location, views, privacy, and casual luxury. Rumours, by far, is the perfect place to stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Top class Award Winning luxury villa accommodation with three villa categories. Each villa has private swimming pool with waterfalls off rocks into pools all set in private courtyards. Spa pools to beachfront villas as well. Movie theatre room option with 2.5 Metre projection system and full surround sound. Absolute beachfront location. Superb four poster beds, Our all villas having two bathrooms. Rumours guests also enjoy a 20% in house discount on treatments at our Waterfall Day Spa, which has won many World Travel Awards and Luxury Spa awards for 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Agoda and Cancelon so you can book your Rumours Luxury Villas and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rumours Luxury Villas Hotel Muri
- Rumours Luxury Villas And Spa Muri, Rarotonga, Cook Islands