“Bach on the beach”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Muri
King's Beach Villas
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Muri
Reviewed 22 June 2011

Kings Beach Villas is like a typical kiwi bach - everything you need in a cute, compact little building.

The location was fantastic, right on Muri beach, just a few seconds walk from the front porch to the water.

There were a couple of kayaks which were free to use. We took them over to the island that Captain Tama's Lagoon Cruizes goes on which was a fun way to get some exercise.

This isn't resort accommodation at all so if you're after luxury, it's probably not the place for you. But if you're after privacy, practicality and the ability to self-cater, you'll be as pleased as we were.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank pink_kiwi_1

Reviewed 15 January 2011

Kings beach villas are not flash, but they are very clean, well equipped and maintained. If you are looking for resort accommodation then don’t stay here. The location is amazing and you can walk to everything. They are definitely value for money if you want to be self sufficient. We would definitely stay there again. Ina was a great host, nothing was a problem.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank aimzlee
Reviewed 14 May 2009

I had already booked and paid a deposit on a villa at King's Beach before I got on here and read the reviews. After that I stressed so much that I had just ruined my family's holiday and that we were going to be staying in a dump. It was such a relief to arrive at the unit to find it crisp, clean and nicely decorated. It had everything we needed and we had a great time there. The stretch of beach is very pretty and the snorkelling behind the motu is great (admittedly it's not very good straight off the beach). We enjoyed eating dinner on the balcony overlooking the lagoon. Our 19 month old had a great time playing in the sand on the shoreline. As for the manager... we did not go to the Cook Islands to stay with her, and we saw her twice during our stay. She was friendly and helpful enough. We did not find it to be an issue.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank mikkiblu86
Reviewed 25 February 2009

The property isn't totally horrible - but there are so many lovely places to stay that will not give you the annoyances and headaches that this property and the host provide (contrary to other reports trying to convince you the host is Mother Teresa!?).

Nowhere is inexpensive on the islands, but there are quite a few 'cheap' places like this one.... as in cheap & nasty. Down the road there's nicer self-contained joints (and resorts) that will not cost any more. And you'll have more fun, on better beaches.

When we stayed the place was full of ants (which can be a problem anywhere on the island), but the place just has a 'grubby' feel to it... certainly not romantic. And, any complaints that we had were just brushed off by the 'host' like we were a pest to her! She was definately without the naturally friendly demeanor of the native people!

Tip: Call the Cook Island Tourism office on Rarotonga and ask their opinion of where to stay. They will give you a genuine and considered opinion - and I would be fairly certain it will be anywhere other than Kings Beach VIllas... they want you to have a pleasant and hassle-free time on the island. It's worth the cost of the call.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Ivegoneagain
Reviewed 4 November 2008

My wife and I recently stayed at Kings Beach and it is truly a paradise. You have a golden sand beach and a turquoise lagoon only feet from your doorstep. You have an island you can wade out to at low tide tosnorkel and kayak. The unit itself has a seperate bedroom, a full kitchen, is well appointed and was spotlessly clean.
That being said, this report is more about the special care we received from the manager there, Ina Tuatai. My wife became seriously ill while there. We phoned Ina to enquire about a taxi...she would not have any of that and showed up immediately and took my wife and I to the medical clinic in town. My wife was then taken to hospital by ambulance with me at her side. A couple hours later, Ina showed up at the hospital with a huge goody bag of coffee, blankets, fish and chips and everything I would need to spend the night at my wifes side. There are no visitor services at the hospital, no cafeteria etc, so the care package was most welcome. Ina never asked for a penny for the things she brought me. My wife was in the hospital 6 days, as was I, as the hospital allowed me to sleep in the adjacent empty bed. Ina even offered to spend the night with my wife to give me a break....what a thoughtful angel. She then helped me, at my request, to rent a car and she then did the legwork for that so all I had to do was sign for the car. She offered me the use of her home computer so that I could cancel or alter our plans in Australia, and her daughter did much of the typing and formatting for me as she is skilled at that. Once I got my replies from the cancellations, Ina neatly packaged them and delivered them to me. My wife fortuneately recovered, but Inas work was not yet done. She phoned her friend at New Zealand air and arranged for my very frail wife to use the executive lounge at the airport prior to our departure where free cold drinks were offered. She also had her friend deliver a wheelchair to the lounge.
Ina and her daughter made a very difficult situation for my wife and I a much easier ordeal to handle. Ina and her daughter are the definition of Cook Island hospitality, and anyone staying there Im sure will be afforded the same incredible hospitality. My wife and I look forward to returning there to finish our beach holiday .

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Douglas I
Reviewed 27 September 2008

Ina is a brilliant host, from when we first contacted her by email to enquire about staying at Kings Beach Villas to the day we left. She promptly responded to our emails and gave us any information we asked for, she was very helpful and this was a deciding factor in staying there. we found her to be very honest and up front. She met us soon after arrival and explained things well. She also provided plenty of clean linen, towels etc and the villas were very clean, tidy, and had everything we needed. We made good use of the kayaks and the location would possibly be the best spot on the island.

We found the villas to be very private, but we also enjoyed the hospitality of Charlie (Tiana's next door) and enjoyed mixing with local cook islanders to get the real cook island experience. If you're wanting resort facilities.... then stay in a resort for substantially greater cost....

overall.... great accommodation at a great cost.... fantastic relaxing holiday....

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank mikeandwendy
Reviewed 24 June 2008

If you're planning a trip to the Cook Islands there are a lot of options. I can only presume that some of the other reviewers have very low standards... because these 'Villas' are not nice. They're just a couple of conjoined weather-beaten cabins. Granted, you might not spend a lot of time inside, so you might not be bothered with the sub-standard fitout of your accomodation. But, the weather in the Cooks isn't always perfect.... so you might need to spend a lot of time inside with nothing to do except trying to keep the ants out of your food.

The location isn't bad. It is a pleasant walk to the better beaches. And on a nice evening the outlook from the balcony is nice - you'll be looking through the coconut palms out to a nearby motu. But you don't really get that feeling of privacy. The people in the joining 'villa' will be sitting right next to you, and the neighbouring villas are only a couple of metres away.

And on privacy... the walls are very thin. Enough said!

I really liked the comment of one of the other reviewers that you don't save any money by going 'cheap' with a place like this. Just to travel to the supermarket, buy groceries, and get back certainly costs a lot more than eating at one of the gorgeous restaurants of the resorts.

Everything considered, I do regret not thinking more about what kind of holiday we were after. We wanted an authentic Cook Island experience, we wanted to experince the culture and people - and feel like we had discovered a paradise. We nearly got there.... but we do feel a bit ripped-off. Our holiday was only redeemed by the experiences we had outside of our 'Villa'.

And, as there has been some debate about the host (Ina), I better throw in my 2 cents. We didn't have a problem with her, as such - but if you, like we did, want an 'authentic' Cook Islands experience then I'm not sure that a surly little New Zealand woman can give it to you.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
8  Thank FamilyTrekkers
Also consider these accommodations in or near Muri
Muri Beach Club Hotel
Pacific Resort Rarotonga
Kiikii Inn & Suites
Kiikii Inn & Suites
#5 of 5 in Avarua

Been to King's Beach Villas? Share your experiences!