“Kings Beach ...a worldly paradise with an angelic manager”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Muri
King's Beach Villas
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Muri
Reviewed 4 November 2008

My wife and I recently stayed at Kings Beach and it is truly a paradise. You have a golden sand beach and a turquoise lagoon only feet from your doorstep. You have an island you can wade out to at low tide tosnorkel and kayak. The unit itself has a seperate bedroom, a full kitchen, is well appointed and was spotlessly clean.
That being said, this report is more about the special care we received from the manager there, Ina Tuatai. My wife became seriously ill while there. We phoned Ina to enquire about a taxi...she would not have any of that and showed up immediately and took my wife and I to the medical clinic in town. My wife was then taken to hospital by ambulance with me at her side. A couple hours later, Ina showed up at the hospital with a huge goody bag of coffee, blankets, fish and chips and everything I would need to spend the night at my wifes side. There are no visitor services at the hospital, no cafeteria etc, so the care package was most welcome. Ina never asked for a penny for the things she brought me. My wife was in the hospital 6 days, as was I, as the hospital allowed me to sleep in the adjacent empty bed. Ina even offered to spend the night with my wife to give me a break....what a thoughtful angel. She then helped me, at my request, to rent a car and she then did the legwork for that so all I had to do was sign for the car. She offered me the use of her home computer so that I could cancel or alter our plans in Australia, and her daughter did much of the typing and formatting for me as she is skilled at that. Once I got my replies from the cancellations, Ina neatly packaged them and delivered them to me. My wife fortuneately recovered, but Inas work was not yet done. She phoned her friend at New Zealand air and arranged for my very frail wife to use the executive lounge at the airport prior to our departure where free cold drinks were offered. She also had her friend deliver a wheelchair to the lounge.
Ina and her daughter made a very difficult situation for my wife and I a much easier ordeal to handle. Ina and her daughter are the definition of Cook Island hospitality, and anyone staying there Im sure will be afforded the same incredible hospitality. My wife and I look forward to returning there to finish our beach holiday .

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Douglas I

Reviewed 27 September 2008

Ina is a brilliant host, from when we first contacted her by email to enquire about staying at Kings Beach Villas to the day we left. She promptly responded to our emails and gave us any information we asked for, she was very helpful and this was a deciding factor in staying there. we found her to be very honest and up front. She met us soon after arrival and explained things well. She also provided plenty of clean linen, towels etc and the villas were very clean, tidy, and had everything we needed. We made good use of the kayaks and the location would possibly be the best spot on the island.

We found the villas to be very private, but we also enjoyed the hospitality of Charlie (Tiana's next door) and enjoyed mixing with local cook islanders to get the real cook island experience. If you're wanting resort facilities.... then stay in a resort for substantially greater cost....

overall.... great accommodation at a great cost.... fantastic relaxing holiday....

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank mikeandwendy
Reviewed 24 June 2008

If you're planning a trip to the Cook Islands there are a lot of options. I can only presume that some of the other reviewers have very low standards... because these 'Villas' are not nice. They're just a couple of conjoined weather-beaten cabins. Granted, you might not spend a lot of time inside, so you might not be bothered with the sub-standard fitout of your accomodation. But, the weather in the Cooks isn't always perfect.... so you might need to spend a lot of time inside with nothing to do except trying to keep the ants out of your food.

The location isn't bad. It is a pleasant walk to the better beaches. And on a nice evening the outlook from the balcony is nice - you'll be looking through the coconut palms out to a nearby motu. But you don't really get that feeling of privacy. The people in the joining 'villa' will be sitting right next to you, and the neighbouring villas are only a couple of metres away.

And on privacy... the walls are very thin. Enough said!

I really liked the comment of one of the other reviewers that you don't save any money by going 'cheap' with a place like this. Just to travel to the supermarket, buy groceries, and get back certainly costs a lot more than eating at one of the gorgeous restaurants of the resorts.

Everything considered, I do regret not thinking more about what kind of holiday we were after. We wanted an authentic Cook Island experience, we wanted to experince the culture and people - and feel like we had discovered a paradise. We nearly got there.... but we do feel a bit ripped-off. Our holiday was only redeemed by the experiences we had outside of our 'Villa'.

And, as there has been some debate about the host (Ina), I better throw in my 2 cents. We didn't have a problem with her, as such - but if you, like we did, want an 'authentic' Cook Islands experience then I'm not sure that a surly little New Zealand woman can give it to you.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with family
8  Thank FamilyTrekkers
Reviewed 12 June 2008

My wife and I stayed 5 nights and Kings Beach Villas, going to and from our eight days in Aitutaki. We have many good things to say about this accomodation. There are two identical villas that are adjoining. They seemed quite spacious, with a living room/kitchen, and seperate bedroom, and a high, arched ceiling, ceiling fans in both rooms, a bathroom with separate shower and toilet. Stove, microwave, utensils - everything you need for cooking. A nice deck out front with a view through the trees to the water, which is about 10 meters in front of you. Two new kayaks. The villas are owned by someone in Canada and are serviced by Ina, who lives offsite, but is available by telephone from the villa. A bowl of fresh fruit is there on arrival, and milk in the fridge. Ina soon checks in to make sure everything is o.k. and that your airport transfers are correctly arranged. By the way, we found Ina to be a very pleasant and obliging host in contrast to some remarks that have been made on this site. The villas are located at the southern end of Muri Lagoon. Muri Lagoon is considered by many to be the best location on Rarotonga because it is the largest lagoon area, and it is very pretty. You can kayak around in the whole lagoon. So, where is best at Muri Lagoon? Well, it is a nice 10 minute stroll from one end to the other, with The Sailing Club, a popular restaurant, near the centre. All the buildings are low rise and fairly unobtrusive. There are expensive resorts, empty sections, backpacker places, bungalows, etc. somewhat randomly scattered about. The best swimming - it is all quite shallow - is in the middle. With reef shoes you can walk out in the shallower places, esp. at low tide. Personally, we liked it that Kings is located out of the main action, but still close to it, with a scenic little motu just offshore.

Stayed: June 2008
1  Thank touristperson50
Reviewed 9 January 2008

The most outstanding vacation we have had in decades. The villa was spacious, clean, with everything we needed. Excellent for two people with room for one or two more. Right on the beach, only 20 feet from the lagoon. A constant sea breeze keeping the temperature more than comfortable 24/7. Only 10 minutes drive from downtown shopping or a 15 min walk to beautiful resort restaurants. The clear aqua lagoon affords excellent snorkling with multicoloured tropical fish in warm waters. Having the villa with a full kitchen and dining area allowed for quiet lazy meals at our convenience when we didn't feel like eating out. The villa manager,Ina, kept us supplied with clean linens and towels in a friendly, inobtrusive manner. We would hightly reccomend this villa and look forward to a return visit.

Stayed: December 2007
1  Thank slvrfox
Reviewed 17 May 2007

The Cook Islands are beautiful.... don't spoil it by staying here.

It took no time at all to experience how horrible the host (Ina Tuatai, she is not a Cook Islander) was, and we went elsewhere. Just go to one of the resorts, they're not much more expensive, they are just as private, will have nicer facilities, and will have beautiful Cook Islanders who pride themselves on customer service. And somehow the resort restaurants menu's are cheaper than what you can make meals for yourself.... I'm sure the supermarket adds a 'tourist premium'!!

Just remember, you're going to Rarotonga to experience the culture, the people, the food.... not the King Beach Villa alternative.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
19  Thank pp_simple
Reviewed 30 December 2006

We stayed at Kings Beach Villas on Rarotonga's Muri Beach in late December 2006. The property we stayed in was very comfortable with very tidy presentation. The villa was serviced daily by Ina(Host) and she always made sure we had fresh towels, cereals and milk on a daily basis. The location is perfect and just under 10 minutes walk to the islands best resort 'The Pacific Resort', their you are able to dine at the restaurant and bar and swimming right out the front is probably the best and safest on the island. You are also within close proximity of the motu(islands) in the lagoon which you can swim out to or even walk to on low tide. The property is competively priced compared to other similiar properties on the island and all though it doesn't have the flash facilities onsite you are surrounded by the lagoon and kayaks can be hired just next door. You are also within 5 minutes walk to three local corner shops selling fresh fruit and veges and bread etc etc. The only negatives were the lack of kayaks as it felt uncomfortable always having to ask the neighbour to borrow his. We felt it would benefit the property if say 2 kayaks were purchased. Sun loungers are available. Considering everything we had a comfortable and enjoyable stay in Rarotonga. We want to say a big thank you to Ina and her family. Thank you......

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Andy2003
Also consider these accommodations in or near Muri
Muri Beach Club Hotel
Pacific Resort Rarotonga
Kiikii Inn & Suites
Kiikii Inn & Suites
#5 of 5 in Avarua

Been to King's Beach Villas? Share your experiences!