“Breakfast Disaster”
Review of The Ship Hotel

The Ship Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in New Romney
Reviewed 16 February 2013

Bar staff very friendly and welcoming. We chose the hotel to be close to family. We stayed for 4 days and only the first morning's breakfast was well cooked. On the 4th day, it resembled a burnt offering. None of the male kitchen staff appeared to have any idea about customer relations -no offer of extra tea/toast/butter etc., very cold reception overall. Once served our food, the staff disappeared and peered through the narrow window slot in the door until we left - very strange. The wooden bed frame was so creaky, the slightest move created an ear piercing noise. Not the relaxing break we expected. The hotel was handy for shops, buses and local shops, but not worth the cost.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Lynne A

Reviewed 29 September 2012

I stayed for 1 night at The Ship in New Romney while away on business. I was made extremely welcome by all the staff on arrival and when leaving; to the point where they asked me not to leave as it was raining heavily and they didn't want me to get wet walking to the car! The food at both dinner and breakfast was excellent. Hot, tasty, freshly cooked and a proper portion at an extremely reasonable price. The room was very comfortable and clean with en suite facilities. And although the shower would benefit from more power, it wasn't unpleasant once it had warmed up.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 2 right at the top of the stairs. I expected it to be noisy but it wasn't overl...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Reddy72
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Cheerful, helpful staff and management.Good food in the evening and excellent large cooked breakfast.A comfortable and well appointed room,but then everything went wrong in a big way.
The rear upper floor bedrooms are plagued by the noise of the kitchen/cellar chiller fans which produce a low audible incessant hum day and night ,there is also considerable traffic noise from the roads nearby.We only had a couple of hours very light sleep and had to checkout after one night of our weekend stay.Luckily we managed to find the nearby Rye House Hotel for the next night where we could catch up on our sleep!.The owners need to address these serious problems urgently as at the moment this Hotel is only suitable for insomniacs!

Room Tip: Front rooms are quiter.Do not entertain rear rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ian W
Reviewed 23 January 2012

We booked this hotel after reading comments made by other visitors. We booked on the telephone and were told that on the friday we were due to arrive there was a disco in the Pub. This didn't bother us to much at the time, this was our big mistake the noise in our room (8) was totally unacceptable so loud that we were unable to listen to the television and went on until midnight. I commented on the noise the next day to one of the bar staff who agreed with me that the noise was far louder the normal. We found out at breakfast that we were the only ones staying the night before i can well understand why. We didn't eat in the hotel except for breakfast. Other people have mentioned the staff being friendly we would agree especially Mandy who was an exceptional cleaner. Would we stay again? possibly but never, never on Fridays.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank peter528773
Reviewed 23 January 2012

The noise level at night was horrific. Right on main road so constant flow of traffic ALL night. They need to invest in double glazing. Also my room (room 4) had noise of a faulty pipe which made noise all through the night, this fault apparently should have been fixed before christmas but never was. I really didn't enjoy this stay at all and it wasn't remedied with breakfast. Burn't beans and nasty coffee, we asked kitchen assistant for more milk as we couldn't find waitress and we are still waiting for it now. When asked at check-out was everything ok and i said 'NO' it was too late as their reply was there is £50 outstanding.... thank you for your stay'. NOT RECOMMENDED SPEND £10 MORE AND STAY ELSEWHERE. You'll get a better night sleep, trust me!!!

Room Tip: Street rooms are too noisy! don't stay in one if you have a choice!!!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank E R
Reviewed 15 January 2012

This little hotel / B & B is located in the High Street of New Romney. So, it is convenient to supermarket, bank and cafes. Room is clean. My biggest problem is the noise. You will be waken up as early as 6 am by the traffic since the bus-stop is just outside the hotel. Don't bother to stay during weekends as the disco on Friday was so loud that you really wanted to pull out your hair. No sleep until late but got waken up in early morning.

Having said that, the bar area downstairs is quite nice. It's a kind of traditional pub and have a good atmosphere. I didn't try their food as my business associates taook me to somewhere else. I may pop in for a drink or a meal in my next visit but I definitely will not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 September 2011

I came here after problems at another local hotel. The staff have been nothing but lovely, welcoming and helpful. It is well placed in the town and the pub is really great downstairs - with amazing fish and chips!
The room is good, I had a single room and it had everything necessary with a brilliant en-suite/shower! All was really clean and I couldn't have asked for more value for money.
The breakfast was also fabulous, I would definately recommend the scrambled eggs!
Road is a little noisy but so long as window is shut it shouldn't bother people.
Would happily recommend to any friend!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
#2 of 10 in Folkestone
Hythe Imperial
Hythe Imperial
#1 of 3 in Hythe

Been to The Ship Hotel? Share your experiences!