“average”

Captain Howey Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in New Romney
Captain Howey Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in New Romney
Reviewed 16 August 2013

First the positives: The staff are all very friendly, they served a good breakfast. But; the bar is dire, looks like it's seen better days and only serves keg beer (relevant if you are an ale fan - this is not the place for you). My single room was pokey, basic and bare. Not a chair to sit on and I couldn't go to the toilet without bending over - everytime I went to the toilet I banged my head on the sloping ceiling. And, the mattress had seen better days - sloped into the middle with springs sticking up. I can put up with many things, but a decent mattress and a good nights sleep is essential. There is not much in New Romney.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Barry B

Reviewed 11 April 2013

My son and I just spent several nights at the Captain Howey Hotel. Great experience.
This hotel is 100 feet from New Romney Station at RHDR. Rooms were simple, but clean and comfortable. Great job on food....very good. Excellent Pub. There is no better place in Romney to stay if you are going to RHDR.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank MM220
Reviewed 6 February 2013

We stayed for 1 night recently, so I could take a course driving a steam train, the staff are very warm & friendly, particularly the owner & his wife, the food served,was although typical "pub food" was always very hot & plentiful. Breakfast choices also of a very good standard.

Only downside (on our visit) the room was cold, & although Radiator was hot did not warm the room up sufficiently & the bathroom was also cold ( heated towel rail might help.)
The rooms were clean & tidy.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank grumpyexec
Reviewed 28 December 2012

I agree with all comments made. Very friendly staff, warm and welcoming place with a lovely breakfast.

It's one of the very few places we have found that have an ideal two bedroom layout (rooms 2 and 3) behind one central outer door. Our plan was obviously to have kids in one room and us in the other. However, the thing that stopped me giving this 5* was that our plan was foiled when we were told there was no key for the outer door but that we should lock the individual bedroom doors. This resulted in us having to split up and one of us sleep with either child (not part of the plan!). I understand that staff need to get to the laundry room (in between the two rooms) but to be provided with a lockable door during the night would solve any concerns parents might have.

ONe other, minor thing (our error). Trains for the Dymchurch railway Santa Specials do NOT start in New Romney! They start at Hythe at the other end of the line. We missed our slot as a result!! Regardless, we'll be back.

Room Tip: If you want interconnecting rooms, rooms 2 and 3 are a great option. Make sure you ring ahead and a...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 September 2012

I reall can't say enough good things about the hotel. John and Chrissy were awesome, the food was awesome, the staff were extremely helpful and friendly, the rooms were clean and tidy and the location was near perfect for my requirements. It's situated on a main(ish) road but not too busy and the traffic is normally quite slow due to a traffic camera on one side and a school further up on the other. You will have to go and see for yourself and when you do you'll not only leave feeling relaxed and refreshed but will almost definitely leave with some good friends and and a desire to go back over and over again. Excellent stay, thanks John and Chrissy!!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 September 2012

7C3A8C

Stayed at this hotel twice now - the rooms are clean and looked after - with tea and coffee making in the room - and they give you a bottle of water and a glass on the bedside table. (its the little things)

Breakfast is excellent - and the staff fall over backwards for you at all times.

The bar is always pretty packed in the evenings as its a local pub - but it doesn't disturb you.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Michelledh007
Reviewed 15 September 2012

Stayed one night in a single on top floor.I was aware of the booking in via the bar area and it is not a comfortable experience however smart it may be. A residents entrance would be much better. My room was on top floor and small with a sloping roof but pleasant enough. The shower room was not good. The ceiling sloped two ways so I (6') had to duck my head to go through the door and apart from having shower it was impossible to do anything standing upright.The water pressure from the shower was feeble too.
The road junction outside was quite noisy through the night but if I closed the window the room was too hot and stuffy. The bed was comfy though.
I really wanted to like the hotel but a few niggles at breakfast (guessing what is available among others),really made me feel it was not as good as hoped. On the whole a clean and smart building but too much pub not enough hotel. At £50 for the night I did not think it good value.

Room Tip: Room 9 was small but OK though it overlooked a busy road junction.Shower room was wholly inadequate...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
New Romney Caravan Park
New Romney Caravan Park
#1 of 3 in New Romney
Marlie Holiday Park - Park Holidays UK

Been to Captain Howey Hotel? Share your experiences!