“fantastic!”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Have been here many times. Food and service is always excellent. Good choice of ales and wines. We were a group of five for mothers day lunch. The food was superb

1  Thank KRichards294
There are newer reviews for The Queens Head

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Went out for lunch last Saturday (15thMarch 2014) and I must say the food and was very enjoyable and can be described as good "Pub Food" the only thing that why I didn't give 5 stars was because the tables were a little bit too close together and felt that they had been ramed in so extra covers could be served and also the wine list was somewhat disappointing...but if you are reading this and thinking of going to The Queens Head all I can say is "Go" I don't think that you be disapointed

Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Daughter's Birthday Lunch! Fantastic Sunday Lunch in a real unadulterated country pub. This is a rarity that it is really worth going out of the way for. The atmosphere is amazing and the food and service fantastic. And it was the best pint of Adnams I have had in a long time. It had been kept to perfection. The wine list was wonderful and good value too! I can heartily recommend the SA pinotage.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

Despite not being very busy today I waited for 40 minutes for a steak and ale pie. It did not arrive and no one said any thing like " your meal is on its way". All it takes is a pastry crust which should take 20 minutes to bake. I decided to leave with out my meal. No one noticed my exit and I imagine my pie is now cold on the table where I sat. I will not be going back.

3  Thank Thomas S
Reviewed 13 February 2014

We came to the Queens Head for our Christmas Meal. We were welcomed warmly at the bar before being shown to our table once the stragglers had shown up. We had all pre-ordered as we were such a large group and this made the service very efficient.

Pre-warned about the sizes of the portion on offer I skipped the starter and thank goodness I did as a massive bowl of venison stew was put before me for my main course. I have a real sweet tooth so I rounded this off with the cheesecake. I am also very picky about my puddings, but this more than passed muster!

Everyone in our party was more than satisfied with the quality and quantity of the food that we tucked into. There is a wide range of real ales, ciders and wines on offer together with spirits and soft drinks.

The Queens Head are passionate about locally sourced food and use a lot of game in their menus - on offer with the set menu was partridge, pigeon and venison as well as the more traditional meats. Highly recommended if you are ever in the area; but I suspect that its popularity means that pre-booking would be advised.

The decor is very traditional with rustic wooden tables, a roaring wood fire and rural artwork on the walls. This would be a fabulous place to unwind after a country walk on a weekend afternoon.