Having stayed at Low Graythwaite 4-5 years ago, when it was under different management, I was a little anxious about whether it'd still be as good. I needn't have worried. It still has all its character and charm (and the location remains idyllic; so peaceful!) but it's looking better than ever, and has all sorts of little touches that raise it out of the B&B class and closer - as one reviewer has suggested - to a boutique hotel.
Stylish furniture, spotless decor, Molton Brown toiletries, digital radio and a flask of fruit cordial in the room. (We stayed in Catbells, and although the 4-ft high bed was a little startling at first, it was extremely comfortable). The friendliest resident cat you'll ever meet, and huge, fresh, localy-sourced breakfasts (you can meet the hens responsible for the eggs just outside, by the beck. Big, clean wineglasses and a corkscrew thoughtfully left out in the lounge...
Caroline, the manager, is an absolute sweetheart, and her nowledge of local pubs and restaurants was encyclopedic and spot-on.
The only reservation we had was about the temperature. The rooms are big, and as the thermometer outside dipped to -5C, the Hall's central heating didn't really keep on top of things. But of course, this was a freakishly cold snap by UK standards; at normal UK winter temperatures it would have been more than cosy enough. And sitting on those big comfy sofas round the log fire with some friends and a glass of wine as midnight struck was pretty much my ideal New Year's Eve.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A beautiful 15th century hall, set in its own grounds, in the centre of the lake district near Hawkshead. Also self catering holiday cottage available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., Priceline and HotelQuickly so you can book your Low Graythwaite Hall reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Low Graythwaite Hall Hotel Graythwaite
- Low Graythwaite Hall Lake District