“Friendly and relaxed” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Hog at Horsley
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Horsley
Price range: US$2 - US$19
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Bar, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: The Hog at Horsley is a vibrant, popular, quirky Pub in the Cotswold village of Horsley. It specialises in serving good quality, locally sources food and drink. The Hub of the village, it has a good garden and is family and dog friendly. It has a very good name for its excellent food, from its extensive fish menu to its legendary Sunday lunches.
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
“Friendly and relaxed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

Called in to The Hog after a long day at a charity event, looking for to unwind over a light meal with some good beer. Every table was reserved so we sat at the bar and ordered a couple of starters.

Service was friendly and attentive without being intrusive. The food - a charcuterie platter and warmbread with olives - arrived quickly and we picked a couple of Cotswold and Stroud Brewery beers. The place was busy but the noise wasn't overwhelming and a lot of the people arriving clearly knew each other and the staff so the atmosphere was pleasantly 'local'.

So good food, good ales and a good place to be. We'll definitely make the trip up to Horsley again.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Sarah135Stroud, Manager at The Hog at Horsley, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear SepulchravesCat, thank you for your review. It was good to see happy customers enjoying the food! Hope to see you again when you are passing for your next event. Good reviews do matter to us, they make the staff feel motivated and satisfied if we know we're doing a good job, so your good review is appreciated.

“A pleasant surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

We came across the Hog completely by accident and what a great find it was!!! From the outset we found the ambience to be just right, not over the top and very family friendly. The Hog catered for the varied pallets of my family to a high standard indeed. The menu was not over the top but reached far beyond what I had initially considered would be 'pub food'. My wife had the pulled pork (a real family favourite) and I opted for the 'local' pie which was of a very high standard that I would recommend this pie alone for. Since visiting the Hog I have recommended it to various friends and family who have also taken the time to tell me about their positive experiences. Being the driver I didn't have the opportunity to sample the selection of ales and lagers available but there were plenty to choose from. Would I recommend the Hog? Yes, I most certainly would, but don't go on my recommendation try it yourself.

2 Thank Angiesteve5312
“Charming friendly pub serving excellent ales, great atmosphere with patio area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

We visited this pub on 4th June to see how it had changed, we used to live in nearby village.
It was really friendly, fresh decor with lovely patio area.
The ales are well kept, local Cotswold ales and ciders, no 'sterile' lager, fresh live lagers too. Not a tied pub.
It welcomes families and dogs, walkers and singles. There are 2 rooms plus patio.
Menu is fresh with a Mediterranean feel. My partner had the excellent game casserole and I had the meze plate. Good value and fresh, imaginative and really delicious. Pub was busy and we had to wait only 5 minutes more than expected but this was quite acceptable. Cakes and puddings are available, displayed on the bar - very tempting.
Would recommend a visit.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Angiesteve5312
DEar AngieSteve, Thank you for your review, we are very glad you had a good experience at our little pub. We hope to see you again soon!
Dursley, United Kingdom
“Not the Whole Hog”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

Newly opened - pleasant enough, follows recent trends in pub design - little in the way of atmosphere but clean and reasonably welcoming. An open ,clean kitchen reinforces that this place is largely about the food( everyone present was eating). So, this is not a drinking pub, shame because the ales and ciders(even the lager) were really good quality.

But then there is the food. A short menu - good! Chips, clearly home made and pretty good quality arrived first and we waited for the accompanying mains.....and waited. The mains arrived just as we decided to start on the chips - by now these were limp and practically cold. First the so called cassoulet - a disaster a watery(tomatoey) bland sausage casserole of the type you'd throw together on a Wednesday night as an easy one pot meal. This bore no resemblance whatsoever to the dish I have eaten and loved so many times in France ....rich, robust, unctuous. No evidence of duck(or goose), pork belly etc, just a rather large piece of very average sausage in a tomatoey/beany bland liquid. Venison pie - with salad. Not a good combination - gravy and lettuce leaves are not a good mix. The pie was average presenting itself as an 'artisan' effort - style over substance...dry meat and a poor quality gravy , and the salad the contents of a bag(a huge portion) with an indistinct dressing and a few tiny(absolutely tasteless) tomatoes. I could have ordered new potatoes to make a more substantial meal this would have brought the cost to almost £14 - for pie and spuds!!
Really disappointing - the emperors new clothes - I'm hoping these were teething problems but with such a small menu it reeks of poor skill, ill judgement and trying to 'get away with it'

Anyway, leaving on a positive - the drinks are good quality here.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jonjack315970
Dear Jonjack, Thank you for posting your review. I am disappointed that you felt you had a less than great experience at our new little pub. I wonder what time you came? I think we had only been open 2 or 3 days. If you felt able to talk to me I would have been happy to address any concerns you may have had straight away. If you came at 8pm then that would have been the busiest eating time, but later on we have many customers just sampling our drinks. A drinking pub without food does not make a business I'm afraid these days! I am really glad you found that our drinks menu was good, we have put in a great deal of time and effort into this. Also, apologies about your chips getting cold. Our staff have settled in well and our service is good. The pies are locally sourced from Woodchester and they won gold in the national pie awards last month. We serve them with salad as a summer option but will be serving them differently in the winter. I am also sad that you found the cassoulet not to be to your liking. The recipe is a family one of mine, that we learned in France when I was a child. I certainly did not intend to serve you a watery, bland one! I note that when you posted the review we had only been open 2-3 days, so I would have hoped you could have made some small allowance for this...we are certainly not trying to 'get away with it'. We are working extremely hard to provide the very best we can and reviews such as yours do actually really hurt. We are human! We hope you might feel able to come back another time and will be much happier with what you see, tast and drink. Thank you again.