Spent last week at the Penha Longa Ritz-Carlton in Sintra, Portugal. The resort is 5 star. There are at least 4 (maybe 5) excellent restaurants on the property - which used to be a monestary. There is a golf course, which, I believe was designed by Robert Trent Jones or RTJ Jr. I play a lot of golf, but didn't play there. Part of the reason was that, for at least 3 days of our stay, it was EXTREMELY windy. The resort is situated at the foot of the Sintra mountains, so I'm sure that contributes to it. I think the Portuguese Open (European Tour) was played here once.
The resort is remotely located, so that you can't really walk anywhere beyond the property grounds. The village of Sintra, which is charming, is a 10 - 12 minute cab ride ( 15 Euros, or so). Good shopping there, good restaurants, and bars. There's a castle and a palace at the top of the mountain that is really worth visiting (costs 18 Euros per person to visit both). Bring your walking shoes - there's lots of hiking between one and the other.
The little seaside village of Cascais was one of my favorites. It's almost like a California beach town - pretty cool. If you go there, make sure to go to Duke's. We made friends with the owner, whose name is Alex. Tell him I recommended it.
Lisbon is about a 1/2 hour away. Very historic. One thing I learned - the Portuguese are EXTREMELY proud of their history and heritage. There's a statue on every street corner and some in the middle of the block.
All in all - a great trip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Walk in the footsteps of royalty along the gorgeous Estoril coastal region of Portugal. Penha Longa Resort traces its origins back to the 16th century, includes a landmark monastery that was built on its ground and has been a frequent retreat of Portuguese royal and foreign dignitaries. A graceful palazzo-style estate set amongst the spectacular rolling hills, lush gardens, and clear lakes of the southern Sintra mountains.The Penha Longa Resort features: 194 well-appointed guest rooms Five exceptional dining facilities Two world-class, championship golf courses A state-of-the-art 1,500 square meter spa Numerous indoor and outdoor recreational amenities ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, Travel Republic (UK), Marriott, Agoda, Ebookers, Odigeo, TravelUp, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotel.de, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Penha Longa Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Penha Longa Hotel & Golf Linho
- Penha Longa Hotel And Golf Resort
- Ritz Carlton Linho
- Penha Longa Resort Portugal/Linho