“Excellent-but a little remote”
Review of Penha Longa Resort

Penha Longa Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Linho
Jackson, Michigan
“Excellent-but a little remote”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Spent last week at the Penha Longa Ritz-Carlton in Sintra, Portugal. The resort is 5 star. There are at least 4 (maybe 5) excellent restaurants on the property - which used to be a monestary. There is a golf course, which, I believe was designed by Robert Trent Jones or RTJ Jr. I play a lot of golf, but didn't play there. Part of the reason was that, for at least 3 days of our stay, it was EXTREMELY windy. The resort is situated at the foot of the Sintra mountains, so I'm sure that contributes to it. I think the Portuguese Open (European Tour) was played here once.
The resort is remotely located, so that you can't really walk anywhere beyond the property grounds. The village of Sintra, which is charming, is a 10 - 12 minute cab ride ( 15 Euros, or so). Good shopping there, good restaurants, and bars. There's a castle and a palace at the top of the mountain that is really worth visiting (costs 18 Euros per person to visit both). Bring your walking shoes - there's lots of hiking between one and the other.
The little seaside village of Cascais was one of my favorites. It's almost like a California beach town - pretty cool. If you go there, make sure to go to Duke's. We made friends with the owner, whose name is Alex. Tell him I recommended it.
Lisbon is about a 1/2 hour away. Very historic. One thing I learned - the Portuguese are EXTREMELY proud of their history and heritage. There's a statue on every street corner and some in the middle of the block.
All in all - a great trip.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank tomc4

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
london
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I came here last year to attend a business conference. It was excellent from start to finish, and a large factor was the hotel and staff.

This year I was invited to attend the conference again, and I jumped at the opportunity. My husband and I recently celebrated our tenth wedding anniversary, and due to schedules didn't get to travel anywhere to celebrate. So I have brought him along this time and whilst I am in conference courses, he is enjoying the facilities and the local area.

STAFF- Every single member of staff have been so polite and friendly. It really does make you feel welcomed. They go the extra mile, and make small touches that really add to your stay: today Martha on reception sent my husband and I some local pastries to try (during check-in he mentioned he looked forward to trying Lisbon's custard tarts...)

This evening, I saw some of the staff preparing a dozen white roses for a guest (people get married and engaged here, and I imagine its a really nice experience...) There were four employees walking towards the guest's room with this bouquet (2 guest services people,and 2 cleaning ladies). Every single one of them looked so happy for the recipient of the roses. I've been in a lot of hotels in my life, and the staff here all genuinely seem to like their jobs, and take pride in their work.

LOCATION- Its right in the middle of a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Sintra is stunningly beautiful, and I could easily spend more time here just exploring the local scenery. The hotel is set out from the city, so is peaceful. It easy to get to the city-centre: for 10euros a taxi will take you there, for 14euros the taxi will take you to the Penha Palace, which is truly a magical place.

FOOD- Last year I ate at Midori, which is a Japanese restaurant in the hotel, and this year I couldn't wait to visit Midori again. Its excellent. The beef tasting menu is superb for individuals like me who do not like sushi.

FACILITIES- Pool is nice, spa is nice, bars and restaurants are nice. The beds are super comfy, and if I could increase the size of our house, I would buy one of these super king-sized beds.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank kimmoo20
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

We couldn ' t have felt more content and happy after our stay. From the first moment until departure everything was 100 %.
The staff was fantastic, especially Nadja and Rodrigo - you were amazing. Top service, warm hearts among the staff. Arola Restaurant -wow ! Ambiance, food and service at the top.
We liked everything at PL. Rooms are beautiful, gooood breakfast, gorgeous surroundings and as mentioned before - great staff members.
We know we will try to be back as soon as we can.
Thank you all so much !
Ulf and Carl from Sweden

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ulf S
Irwin, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 April 2014

This resort is top notch, no surprise as it is a Ritz Carlton property. The Six Senses spa is nice - I just experienced a wonder oriental massage and the stretching and hot towels included were a real treat, especially after a flight to Portugal from the states.

I also played tennis, as I do every time I stay, and the courts are a short walk from the hotel. It is a large property and there is plenty of beautiful walking. I recommend the spa treatments and the tennis/squash facility.

Room Tip: I am on business so I was able to get a good rate as I stayed an extra night.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2014

The hotel is beautiful, and the views from the balconies in the rooms are stunning. The bathroom is large and well appointed, as is the room, BUT. . . .

Several problems emerged during the week. First of all, the hotel is a long way from any towns or villages, so once you are there, you are pretty much a captive audience. Not that that is a problem if services are adequate, but that was not always the case. There are three restaurants (and a bar) in the hotel, but certain ones close on certain nights. On Monday night, for example, there was only one restaurant open. You must have a reservation for a restaurant or you may not be accommodated. We arrived on a Saturday with an 8-year-old and tried to get dinner at the Italian restaurant at the first opening time (7:30), only to be told that we didn't have a reservation and could not get in until 9:00. Our youngster would be asleep long before 9:00 pm., so that wouldn't work. They finally let us in the restaurant and we had eaten and left long before the table was needed for a previously-made reservation. In fact, there were several empty tables when we arrived and when we left.

We ate in the Japanese restaurant one night (with a reservation), and the food was outstanding. The 8-year-old ordered the child's three-course taster meal but was not fond of the raw fish or the noodle dish (very strong flavors for a child). The tempura was fantastic, though! Service was leisurely (not necessarily slow), but the child could not stay awake long enough to have dessert, so he and his mother missed that course.

The bar offered a selection of burgers, salads, and sandwiches, so that was where we ended up for lunch pretty much every day. On the night we went to the Japanese restaurant, we stopped in at the bar a half-hour early to have a pre-dinner cocktail. The service was so slow that we had to search out someone to ask that an order be taken from us. The girl that they sent to get our order did not write anything down and seemed to have difficulty understanding English. The drinks arrived just as we had to leave to go to the restaurant (30 minutes after going into the bar), only to find that four of the five drinks were wrong. My husband complained to a manager, and over the course of the next two days, we had apologies from three different f&b managers for that experience.

We selected this location because it seemed to offer a vacation for each of us: golf for the grandparents, spa for the parents, and kids' club for the child, with three different categories of activities for children of different ages, all the way through teens. The website promised activities that ranged from horseback riding to cooking with the chef to doing arts and crafts, even golf and tennis for youngsters. We asked at checkin if we needed to book the kids club, but we were told that they weren't that busy, so it would be fine to drop in at 10 am. When we did, we found a room geared for two-to-five year olds, where we waited for the activities director. When no one had arrived by 10:30, we went in search of a manager. Then we were told that they wouldn't be having kids' club if fewer than four children had booked, so there was nothing on the agenda for the 8-year-old. They offered the "games room," which consisted of table games (ping-pong, billiards, table football) or video games. We didn't bring the boy from grey, cold England to warm, sunny Portugal to have him spend time indoors on video games! He was hugely disappointed that there was nothing for his holiday, so the hotel hurriedly made arrangements for someone to come in the next day and have activities with him. That day was definitely a good one, but it was only one of the four days that he had expected to get--not much of a holiday for him.

The golf course was beautiful, but following some heavy rains, it was extremely wet and muddy. The grass was long and the ball would splat in the mud, never to be seen again. The pro shop booked us for 18 holes by putting us off on the Monastery course for the first nine and then playing the front nine of the Atlantic course as our back nine. The only problem was that the Atlantic course plays farther and farther away from the clubhouse, and there is virtually no way to stop at 9 and make your way back in. We tried, but we ended up driving the golf cart for about four miles to get back, and even then we had to stop to ask directions from some people living near the course.

We played the Atlantic course the next day, but because it was so busy, we were paired with another two-ball. That course played really long (because of the wet and crowded conditions), and we were ready to quit after playing for more than four hours and still a long way from Hole 18 (but again, can't do so). For the next two days, we requested that we play only the Monastery course. First of all, I think it is prettier and more interesting, and second, it comes back to the clubhouse after 9 so you can either stop or go in for a bathroom/snack break or whatever. The course was virtually deserted every day, so it was like playing millionaire's golf! I would definitely do that again.

The hotel is working on upgrading some of the facilities, so there were construction workers and equipment dotted around the place, marring the beauty of some of the areas. They are certainly trying to make this a real Ritz-Carlton experience, but for right now, it just misses the mark.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank SuffolkAnn
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Penha Longa Resort was a great place to stay. They have a great bar area and good restaurant too. It is truely a family friendly place, we went with a 7 year old and an 11 month old and experienced no issues at all.

They have many many things to do for the kids and adults.

The staff are the just very very friendly and really put exceptional efforts to help and answer queries.

The location of the hotel is ideally placed to visit all the attractions in Sintra like the national palace of Sintra (world heritage site); Pena Castle, Muro Castle. All locations offer great cafes during the day. In the evenings it is better to drive to Cascais which is a short drive away and offers many many shops and restaurants.

Room Tip: We had a room which was facing the swimming pool with a back ground of the golf course greens - amaz...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Bwana_Shah
Madeira, Portugal
Reviewed 12 April 2014

i have been there for business and i was amazed by the property as well as the staff.
unfortunately too less people around but more space for me.
spa is superb even though a bit too expensive for me
would love to go again

Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Linho
Tivoli Palacio de Seteais
Grande Real Villa Italia Hotel & Spa
Sheraton Cascais Resort
Sheraton Cascais Resort
#11 of 39 in Cascais

Been to Penha Longa Resort? Share your experiences!