Betham's Beach Cottages
Wananavu Beach Resort(Rakiraki)(Great Value!)
US$130
US$125
  • Breakfast included
US$169
US$134
  • Pool
Tanoa Rakiraki Hotel(Rakiraki)(Great Value!)
US$57
  • Pool
Vatia Beach Eco Resort(Tavua)(Great Value!)
US$34
US$30
  • Breakfast included
Naigani Island Resort(Naigani Island)
TripAdvisor
  • Beachfront
All reviewsthe cottagessunset pointgreat placeshort walkself caternice walkother placesstayed for nightshigh tideother resortsislandbeachrobjettynadigeneratorwind
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 November 2012

My boyfriend and I wanted a quiet beachfront holiday and Betham's was perfect for us. It was clean, quiet, comfortable, and perfectly situated right on the beach. Couldn't ask for more. We brought all our own food/drink and enjoyed cooking our own meals in the cottage. The kitchen was clean and well stocked. Staff were friendly.

We enjoyed swimming, snorkeling, and walking around the island. My boyfriend also did a windsurfing lesson with safari lodge. Sunrise on the beach by the safari lodge was beautiful. Lots to do on the island, but also a great island to relax and unwind.

We had to deal a little bit with bugs (ants, mosquitos, roaches) but it's to be expected in Fiji I guess. We brought some bug killer and that seemed to help.

Overall, we loved our holiday at Betham's and would definitely stay again!

Tip #1 - bring a vodafone USB internet stick to stay connected. We got a great signal from our cottage.

Tip #2 - If you have a sweet tooth, Macdonald's sells delicious cupcakes for 1.50 fjd

Room Tip: Beach front cottages are worth the extra money!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wanderingage
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I made arrangements by email several weeks in advance of arrival. I discussed meals, and gave them my credit card to make sure we would have meals, as we are backpackers. My son arrived at the island first and called my taxi to tell me to bring food there was none on the island. In RakiRaki our taxi driver called the resort and I asked what food to bring. They assured me that meals were available and that I should bring bottled water, bread and eggs. When we arrived, they said we had a cabin with a kitchen (barely, and rustic) and should cook our own food. For breakfast, I tried to order breakfast, and they offered me three pieces of toast and a slice of bacon for $15 FJ. How about an egg? Well I can give you an egg for $5 more. Oh, did you want me to cook it for you?? I was floored. The office (email and phone) person assured me food was available. The staff was unwilling to cook or serve. We left a day early.

We were also assured that there were many activities on this island. Wrong. This resort is mainly for retired Kiwi's (New Zealanders) to come and be in isolation. No one was nice, no one said "Bula". On the other side of the island, we found another resort were at least we could get windsurfing lessons to occupy some time. This resort was much more friendly and willing to help.

the warning is - be prepared and know what to expect. This is not an interactive resort.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank darcymn
Reviewed 16 June 2012

Even thought the Betham's Beach website recommends that you take a bus to Rakiraki and then a taxi to Ellington's Wharf, if you catch a SunBeam bus then there actually is a stop at Ellington Wharf which can cut out the cost of a taxi, which is what I did. But, it was quite a long walk down to the wharf from the bus stop, 20-30 minutes easily. Not my best idea in flip flops. Once I got down to the wharf I paid a dollar to call Betham's and then they came and picked me up. The boat driver was very friendly and someone was waiting for me when I got there. The staff was friendly but not very around very often, but you could ring a bell at the restaurant and they would come help you. I was the only person on the beach for most of the time I was there. This is a good place to go if you want quiet and solitude. You should definitely bring your own food and cook in the kitchen of your cottage. I stayed in a dorm room with a woman who did not bring her own food but bought some from the Betham's Beach store which I assume was quite pricey. The room was a 4 person dorm and would have been quite cramped if 4 people where actually there but there was never more than 2 during my stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank ericahelm
Reviewed 28 September 2011

We took the local buses from nadi to rakiraki which was an experience all on it's own but rob knew we were coming so he had a taxi meet us at the bus depo and take us shopping which we did not at the time know why?? So we only got a few things and off we went to the boat to meet rob! Once we arrived we found out why we should have bought our own food the prices at the restaurant were a little expensive compared to other places but you have to allow for them being on an island! Food was quite yummy none the less. Rooms were clean and cooled with a ceiling fan which cut off when the generator was turned off approx. 10pm. We made use of the free kayaks and paddled around the island which took about 5hrs but was wonderful fish viewing and scenery. Staff remain unseen until you need something and are happy to help and get friendlier over time too!

• Stayed: June 2011
3  Thank Kirstyg0
Reviewed 3 September 2011

... If that's what you want - peace, privacy, daily independance, just a really good rest, or a quiet break with the kids, then Betham's is your spot!
It's on the calm water side of Nananu-I-Ra island where the water is like glass and beautifully safe for all the sedate water activies available; and everyone gets a kick out of feeding the reef fish off the jetty.
To walk around the island takes about 5 hours, but we just went exploring up along its spine to get the great views and discover some of the inlets just around the corner from the resort.
Getting to the other side of the island is a 5 minute walk and the contrast in ocean activity is quite amazing. During August the wind surfers arrive to take advantage of the brilliant Northerly winds. The water is just as clear but with gentle waves added.
August may not be the month for you if the wind drives you mad! It's warm but very strong, especially at night, and Bethams resort isn't sheltered from it.
The cottage we had was clean and homely and quite adequately appointed for holiday style self-cooking - including a fridge.
Buy everything you need on the mainland before you go, and buying in either Nadi or Lautoka is a little cheaper than Raki Raki which is the last town before you head to the island.
Things to take: Immediate needs Like tea, coffee, sugar, butter, bread, eggs, alcohol, soft drinks, juice, tinned foods, biscuits, cereal, UHT milk, etc. is a good idea. Bottled water too if you don't want to risk their tank water.
Oh!! Cold showers only, so be prepared!!
Bethams serves lunches (av. $FJ10) and dinners ($FJ26) which are very nice, but we were disappointed that from the whole evening menu only the chicken dishes were available! However if you wish to eat at your bure the ladies will bring your meals to you.
We found the staff friendly and helpful. I think because of the nature of the resort, the staff can appear reserved - they are not being ignorant, just allowing the guests their privacy by only engaging when needed.
To save hassles with transport getting to and from Nadi, book a taxi via Rob. For $FJ140 each way it's worth it and you have your own chauffeur to take you shopping or stopping along the way at no extra charge. They are great for local knowledge as well. The trip from Nadi is about 3 hours.
We had a very restful break and would be happy to return - just not in August!

Room Tip: All accommodation faces the water so take your pick.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple