“Great location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Grau Roig
Sydney, Australia
“Great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

We recently had a family holiday here. It's a great location for children as the hotel has a kids club and the hotel is right next to the ski resorts kids ski facilities that includes the kids ski school and child minding on the snow.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Marsascalla

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

This hotel was exceptional. It is located right in the heart of the mountains with incredible views and excellent amenities. The spa, hot tub, pool, etc. were a nice (unexpected) welcome after a long day of riding (motorcycle). I would definitely return here again! The breakfast was our best in Europe for this tour as well - great selection and a lot of good food.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

This is an excellent mountain hotel, directly on ski slope, with exclusive service, and very collaborative pleasant stuff with sincerely non-formal relation. Hotel stuff are English speakers. Hotel equipped very well including room, spa, public areas. The hotel provides very relax mountain atmosphere, and the same time has it own stile. The restaurant proposes french cousin. Greatly recommended!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2013 via mobile

How one reader could give this 2 * I really don't know! I can appreciate the food poisoning but come on, that could happen anywhere when eating oysters!!

So here i go with my review.......

Transfer from airport runs around every 2 hours which is a little frustrating as we missed the bus by 7 mins so had to wait 2 hrs for the next. We knew this though before we travelled so we just had some lunch and chilled out. Bus journey is 3.5 hours so ensure you go to the loo before or ask the driver to stop!

Arrived at hotel, bags taken to the room and no lingering for a tip which makes a change!! Ronantic room was well worth the upgrade however as we were on the top floor and the temperature had risen we found the room really hot. We spoke to reception and they moved us straight away. I also complained that the pillows were too hard and these were changed straight away too.

Food - practically had 5 courses every night on the half board option. Bread and oils/salts followed by an amuse bouche, starter, main, dessert and then chocolates!! Wine was extra but a nice bottle was reasonable at €22. Water also extra and a littke cheeky at €3.50 euros a bottle when included with breakfast. Service was quick, friendly and attentive. Desserts were Michelin star quality and although I agree that the food was rich you could chose more mild options or less courses. The menu was extensive and if you wanted something like filet steak it was only a few € supplement.
Breakfast was superb and included champagne and wine if you wanted it plus fresh orange, actimal, juices, a selection of speciality coffees and an array of food
From pastries to cooked breakfast or cereal and pancakes.

Little touches - bed turned down every night with chocolates left on the pillow. Crisps/olives with drinks at the bar. Complimentary spa with herbal tea. Room cleaned twice daily, sinetimes 3! Bulgaria toiletries. Linen napkins. Quality drinks glasses and crockery.

Staff - Abdoulaye works on the bar and is fantastic. Very goid English, French and Spanish and knows his drinks! Everyone else was fantastic too but didnt catch names. 3 main guys on reception all really helpful. Chap who takes bags to room very friendly and always working hard. All bar and restaraunt staff couldn't be more helpful. Housekeeping extremely thorough. Spa staff very well qualified and experienced.

Room - started with a romantic room which was fantastic. You can't beat a soak in the hot tub with the windows open looking out onto the slopes! Changed to an authentic room and this was just as nice but with a jacuzzi bath instead. The superior rooms also have a lighting system with different settings which is a nice touch.

Wifi - I agree it can be slow at times and in certain places but good god, we are in the middle of the mountains and its free so how people can complain about this is beyond me!

The hotel itself - several places to relax and have a drink including the bar, jazz room, wine theatre and lobby. Spa is small but has everything you need and smells amazing and is well decorated and kept clean. Had an amazing massage (golden skin) and although I originally thought it was expensive it was worth every penny so thank you for this. Free lockers for your ski equipment. Right next to the ski lift. Great drinks and wine. Staff spot on. Toilets clean and fresh. One reader mentions about kids running around and yes there are kids but you'll get that everywhere and its no worse than anywhere else. If kids are making a noise then this shouldn't be a reflexion on the hotel and if it really bothers you then ask them to be quiet yourself. The hotel don't allow kids to be in the spa after 6pm and they have a kids room so i think this is more than fair on the hotels part. The fact that one reader has suggested that families rent another room if theirs isn't big enough for their kids to run around in is ludicrous. Rooms are never big enough to run around in so again this is down to parent control and if it really bothers you say something but its really not an issue in this hotel.

Things to be aware of is that Grau Roig is pretty, not crowded and ski in/out but there is no shop or anywhere to go in the evening or shuttle to Soldeu or Passa La Cassa so if you want night life then this isn't the place for you. This is great for people looking to ski during the day and enjoy the spa, good food and wine and relax in the evening. We wanted a supermarket and to look round a few shops so we decided to ski to Passa La Cassa during the day and have a look round which was enjoyable.

This hotel is by far a 5* but can't be rated as one due to not having enough staff per guest (this is how its rated in Andorra). This aside we had no service issues with the staff.

If you want something a little more special, you like the finer things in life, don't want buffet every night like most hotels and don't want the hustle and bustle of Passa La Cassa or Soldeu then stay here for sure!!

Last note is that we went at the end of the ski season so the hotel was quieter than usual which I'd highly reccomend.

Well done hotel Grau Roig for a 1st class hotel and thank you for making our holiday so great xx

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank dustythepinkbear
Chippenham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2013

Originally this review was going to be verging on a 5 star review - but within a couple of days went to a 4 star and here we are finally at 2 stars, and to be frank I was on the verge of giving it 0 stars.

I always try and base the review on the hotel, the rooms, the service and the staff. So I exclude things that are not part of the stay or the fault of the hotel. For example:

The shuttle transfer via Novatel is long..... 3.5 hours on the way to the hotel - not including the 2 hour wait as it doesn't run every 5 minutes. A big minus is there are no pit stops - and no toilet on board - so don't drink anything for a few hours before the journey. For us this was a big piece of information missing.....

We dined at the hotel for 3 lunches. We were trying to order outside the 1st time, as were a Scottish couple. We were quite relaxed about our lunch and it's timing, but the Scottish couple obviously wanted to get back out onto the slopes. It seemed that only one person was empowered to take orders, and they were making sure that every order had been served and consumed before another order was taken,....So, despite several requests, and a few dummies towards the table by said order taker - 20 minutes passed before they finally gave up and just asked for their bill.

When we booked, the offer that we were supplied with stated that ski lessons and ski hire was included in the price. When we received the confirmations, neither of these were included. A few emails back and fro - and we were told that a) this was a typo b) we would only be in the Grau Roig for 5 nights (later changed to 7 nights in the hotel - but 2 in an ordinary room). We then tried to cancel the reservation - but were told we would lose all our money. PM me if you require more details - but don't fall for the same scam. I will be commencing small claims court action forthwith.

However, as mentioned, none of these events have a bearing on my score.

So back to our stay. It all started so well - a bit like a fairytale.

As I mentioned we had originally booked 7 nights at the Grau Roig, and after we had booked (and paid) were told that we could only possibly have the rooms we booked (Authentic) for 5 nights. On the day after we arrived the owner/manager(?) informed us that we had the room we paid for, for the whole 7 nights. Okay, we were happy/pleased (not sure why because we had paid for it....) and I wish the travel agency had told us, but the fact the hotel had supplied what we had paid for was positive.

We arrived very very late (see above) around 23.45 on the Monday evening, and really wasn't expecting anything to eat. But what was served to us was a feast - and way way to much for us - but it was greatly appreciated. A great touch (see photo).

The pillows that were supplied were very very hard. A quick word with the guy at reception and the soft pillows were supplied in an instant. Great!!!!

Now onto the negatives that turned the hotel into a 4 star, and to be frank they don't confess to be a 5 star so....

The radiator in the bathroom didn't work despite turning up the heating, turning the knob on the radiator, etc - which meant that towels were replaced twice daily.

The internet coverage/access is patchy - to be kind. I really don't think it's the coverage. Even the PC in the hotel that is for everyone's use has the same patchy access, so I think it's just the internet connection and not the wifi. Needs to be investigated. You either have internet access or not. If you do - it has to work.....

The rooms are not particularly well sound proofed. We heard somebody running a bath at midnight, the contents of normal conversations outside our door, etc, etc. Not sure if anything can be done about it - but we had a room that only had people above us, and on one side. Not sure what it would have been like to have a room above, below and both sides...

However, the best soundproofing in the world will not stop irresponsible parents letting their brood of kids running amok in the corridors at 8am, before dinner and after dinner, and basically using it as a playground. Screaming and shouting kids running like of herd of elephants is 'not cool'. If you don't have the space in your room, rent another room. If you can't control your children - don't have them. A 'shhhhh' after 15 minutes (after which they still continue as before) does not constitute control or being a good parent. All the ambient music in the world and a spa doesn't make up for the cacophony of screams that we endured. The hotel at least should have had a quiet word. A poster in the ski lift stipulating that no ski boots are allowed seemed to work - so how about a sign indicating that running up and down the corridors like a banshee is also not allowed. That would be an interesting sign ;-)

However, the icing on the cake was the Russian residents of the hotel who decided at midnight of the morning before we left, that they wanted to play at 'Dancing on Ice' with their cars whilst playing techno music. What did the hotel do? Nothing....

The food. For me the richness of the food is too much every night for 7 nights. Some dishes are very good one day - not so good the next. My partner had the suckling pig one night - and the crackling/skin was crisp and eatable. Another night it was limp and soggy and uneatable. If you order off menu, beware. My partner wanted the filet steak one night, but wanted something to break up the richness and ask for some chips (in addition to the vegetables that came with it). The waiting staff misunderstood and delivered the steak with a portion of fries, in a plate that looked like it had been created by an abstract artist. All week the food had been presented beautifully, however this 'masterpiece' was something that my school dinner lady would have found offensive. And worryingly after my extended encounter with the big white ceramic thing, a lot of dishes were served tepid or undercooked. The pumpkin soup one night was of an adequate temperature, the next time I had it - cold. The wild boar - and while I like my steak 'bleu', was so undercooked that for the first time I can ever remember in having paid for my food in over 20 years, I sent it back to be cooked more. The 'tarte tartin' was also tepid (I'm being kind, it was cold), and the pastry was dire. The last night, my partner again had the audacity to ask for fries to be supplied (this time we managed to communicate in addition to the dish). They were limp and not crispy...

So why the drop from 4 star to 2 (and if I was in the state of mind on the morning of the 2nd day, 0 stars). Food poisoning....

My partner and I, and another couple, all dined at the Teatre del Vi on the Tuesday night (so basically the evening of the day we arrived). We had a great meal, accompanied by a selection of chosen wines. This carried a 75 Euro per person supplement, however we thought it worth it for one night. Around 1am, I woke up and was feeling very well. I was violently sick all night/morning, getting up every hour on the hour. As I hadn't eaten outside the hotel for 48 hours then I was pretty sure it was the food I had eaten in the hotel. I didn't feel well enough to ski that day nor the next morning. I didn't eat all that day - so didn't have breakfast, lunch or dinner. All I 'ate' was Coke, Fanta, Red Bull and water. So not only had I 'wasted' those meals, but the paid for ski pass, ski hire and also my holiday also went to waste. In short, I lost 25% of my skiing. On the Wednesday I ventured down for dinner, and one of the other couple that also dined with us approached us, and asked us whether we had been ill. They had been very ill too...... That night my partner also was violently ill, and she lost a days worth of skiing.

The other couple mentioned that both they and I had been ill to the sommelier who had hosted the fateful evening, and he approached me and asked me how I was feeling. He apologised - but as I said to him, it wasn't his fault - and more importantly I felt it wasn't his place to apologise - surely it should be the chef or the owner/manager/director to do this? He did ask whether I could be possibly allergic to oysters which I found a bit patronising especially as the other couple had been ill. Surely the likelihood that 3 people out of 4 had never tasted oysters before and were all allergic is almost infinitely small.... I indicated that I had lived in France for many years and eaten oysters for nearly 20 years - uncooked - whereas the one we had eaten was cooked.

Despite all of this, nobody came to see us, ask us how we were, or even horror of all horrors, apologise. We waited and waited and waited. The penultimate night the owner/director/manager came to our table but didn't ask how we were or bring up the situation. In my view, you need to address these kinds of things before they get out of hand. Despite my partner replying to the question on how is your stay by indicating fine apart from being ill - this wasn't followed up or question or nothing. It just seemed like they wanted to sweep it under the carpet.

So we came to checkout. The hotel had not charged us for my 75 euro supplement, but had charged my partner. Bear in mind that the total trip cost was close to 3,000 euros, and we had both lost 1.5 days each of skiing, dinners, lunch, holidays, ski pass, ski hire, breakfast, our lives, etc. When I indicated that my partner had also been ill, the fact it could be the same meal was questioned. Even if it wasn't the same meal (and remember food poisoning takes up to 48 hours to manifest itself), it was something in the hotel, as we had eaten nowhere else up to that point. This questioning was unnecessary Would I really look for a 75 euro deduction on a 3,000+ euro cost for 'fun'. The owner/director/manager also stated she hadn't realised how ill we had been, at which point I stated that she really needs to talk and engage with people and face this issues head on and not wait for people to find her. She also stated the opinion after I had said that it was her hotel that he given us food poisoning, that it was the oysters. I replied that it was the oysters that the hotel had bought, selected, cooked and served. Where does the liability start and end? Does this mean unless a restaurant grows it own's food or rears it's own meat - because they only cook and serve the food, they are not liable? I think not. In the end - she deducted the 2nd 75 euro charge and the small supplements we had incurred on various meals. We shouldn't have had to discuss - it should have been done automatically. If we hadn't have been ill, remember we would have spent more money on drinks during the day and evening and lunch. It all just left a very bad taste in the mouth. I'm considering claiming compensation.

Room Tip: In terms of a room recommendation, we were in an Authentic room - very nice - 201. However I wouldn...