“greatest place to stay in Zanzibar”

Chuini Zanzibar Beach Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bububu
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We stayed 5 wonderful days at Hakuna Matata. The Location with its private beach, colourful garden and nice different hidden places to relax, to enjoi the sundowner or afternoon tea is marvelous. We stayed in a room just a few steps from the beach, which was very tastefully decorated.The whole staff is very friendly, warm and also professional.The cuisine is excellent.
We are looking forward to our next stay at Hakuna Matata
Helmut und Petra, Berlin

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Chuini Zanzibar Beach Lodge

Reviewed 18 August 2013

Our family of four spent one week in the Hakuna Matata Beach Lodge and Spa. We really enjoyed a wonderful stay in this beautiful place. In addition to the beautiful scenery, we especially enjoyed the food (very creative cooking by the owner and her dedicated staff) and the warm atmosphere. We were especially pleased to see that there is a sort of added social value in this lodge, indeed the owners have succeeded not only into hiring many many villagers to work in this lodge but really to provide them with a good professional training. We quoted average for the sleep quality because the mattress are quite hard, but otherwise the beds are very large and clean. Do the excursion on private island, it's a must!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We stayed 4-5 days at Hakuna Matata (August 2013); this was too short. We were able to enjoy some of what the very friendly owners of the lodge provides to their guests. Due to a delay of the airline we arrived very very late; however we got apart from drinks some light every good food!
I have to mention: perfect cuisine ...very very good. And we enjoyed the excellent selection of wines too. A short trip with the boat of Hakuna Matata was our sun downer at one day. The garden with the variety of plants and historical buildings provides many quiet corners to relay. We stayed at the bungalow nearby the beach, i.e. very very convenient for us who enjoy to stay at the beach. In summary (and talking to others) this lodge is the best place to stay at the Zanzibar.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 July 2013

My fiance and I stayed at this hotel for two nights after climbing Kilimanjaro and it was exactly what we needed. We spent most of the first day with hughe grins on our faces at how amazing the hotel was. I had chosen it based on reviews on Trip Advisor and I am so glad I did.

I cannot praise this hotel enough, some reviews have said there are not many staff, however, we really enjoyed the fact that you weren't bothered at all.

Little things that made good impressions: my fiance talked on first night to the waiter about the menu and how she didn't eat red meat, not a problem that night and the message was passed back to the kitchens so a vegetarian option was automatically made for her the following night, further more, the waiter on the second night didn't have to ask who the vegetarian option was for as he already knew.
We picked two sun loungers the first afternoon and the next two days they were automatically set up for us with matresses (taken in each night) and moved into the shade before we got to the beach each day.
The first day we were the only guests (I have no idea why this place is not packed out but it was very nice), we went for a pre-dinner drink and when I left to use the toilet the waiter went over to speak to my fiance so she wasn't sitting on her own. Also they had set us up a table in the ruins (rather than sitting in an empty restaurant) for a romantic dinner.

Slightly expensive (for me) but well worth it.

Room Tip: Zanbezi rooms 1 and 2 are straight onto the beach, best ones in our opinion!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2013

I can now mark Zanzibar and Hakuna Matata Beach Lodge off my Bucket List. How did it get on my Bucket List? Years ago my daughter and her husband visited Zanzibar for a week and stayed at the Hakuna Matata Beach Lodge and just raved about it. I never gave it seriously thought, thinking it was too far...but it seemed something was drawing me here..I kept hearing the Lion King’s words in my head “Hakuna Matata, what a wonderful phrase / Hakuna Matata, ain't no passing craze / It means no worries for the rest of your days / It's our problem free philosophy” Then there was Billy Joel’s song about “Zanzibar” So for our 40th anniversary our children surprised us with a trip to Zanzibar, and of course where else, we stayed at the Hakuna Matata Beach Lodge. Hello paradise…why did I wait so long? Rose and Fritz the owners laid out the Welcome mat the minute we walked in the Lobby. The Hotel was perfect in every way and our room with a view was over the top. One of my favorite activities was the outdoor Cinema in the ruins, it was so romantic. The Hotel staff was so helpful in arranging tours and suggesting activates and helpful hints on the best buys.
The food was a little strange but interesting, and the Island lives up to its name “Spice Island” for everything was spicy! All in all we had a lovely time stayed within our budget; the only negative is we could have stayed longer. I would recommend this trip and this Hotel in particular to all my friends

Room Tip: For a couples retreat stay in the Bagamoyo 1
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a night as part of a group cycling round the island. On arrival we had a lovely welcome from Rose and Fritz, with a cold glass of Rose's Hibiscus drink. The service throughout was fantastic. The location was idyllic, particularly the beautiful bay. Food and rooms were great. Cant wait to go back.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 17 June 2013

My husband and I always dreamed of visiting Africa. We picked the Hakuna because of all the great reviews it gets. We were not disappointed! The staff was wonderful, Rose and Fritz know exactly what customers are looking for. We were actually a little hesitant because the prices are so low. Who knew you could find such great service for only $240 a night! And there's so much to do right on the property, you may not even have time to explore the rest of Tanzania. We did do the spice island tour, that was very cool. We love cooking and gardening so that was right up our alley. The only downside is the most spectacular beach there is a few minutes away by shuttle. Not a huge disappointment but would be nice if we could have walked right out on it. The sunset views at the end of the day made it all worth it. If we ever get the chance to return to Tanzania, I know exactly where we will be staying.

• Stayed: May 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bububu
Melia Zanzibar
Dream of Zanzibar
Dream of Zanzibar
#2 of 3 in Mahonda
Fruit & Spice Wellness Resort

Been to Chuini Zanzibar Beach Lodge? Share your experiences!