“Beautiful B & B that is well run.”
Review of Beach House Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in French River
Beach House Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 French River B&B and Inns
Connecticut
“Beautiful B & B that is well run.”
Reviewed 17 July 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Beach House Inn recently on our visit to PEI. The Inn is located on a back road outside the sleepy town of French River on the north coast of PEI. The location has spectacular views of the Gulf of St. Lawrence to the north and New London Bay and the NL Lighthouse to the east.

The owners, Gary and Brenda, did a good job of balancing being friendly and helpful with not being intrusive. Our room ("Linden") was small but comfortable and in fairness was one of the less expensive ones in the house. We had a private bath in the hallway and were provided a bathrobe for showers or nighttime trips (a nice touch). The breakfasts were excellent and I preferred the individual table arrangement to some B & B's with a common table. Not that I'm antisocial but sometimes I prefer not to have to be "on" in the morning. There is a very nice common room and porch for reading / relaxing.

We were there to bicycle and my only negative about the place is that it is not an ideal cycling location. Any day trip involves riding on extremely busy Rt. 20. For touring cyclists with no car, the Inn has no restaurants nearby so is only suitable if you have already eaten or bring your own dinner. We found ourselves driving our bikes around to take day rides.

Overall a great experience and if we returned to PEI we would certainly consider another stay at the Beach House Inn.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ablasen57

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Bushey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2011

We stayed here 4 nights and the accommodation was 1st class . We chose Seaview Room and we felt very comfortable here. Brenda and Gary were excellent hosts. The breakfasts were excellent and something different every morning. Our only negative is that we won't be able to return!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank suephillips1950
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 25 December 2010

If the quaint towns and hill aren't quaint enough for you, this place is the extra dose of PEI quaint you'll need!
The French River location is beautiful, off the beaten path away from the hoards of tourists and hotels in Cavendish. The B&B is at the end of a dirt road, a 5 min walk away from the ocean. The owners are an adorable husband and wife team who make you feel like you're an old friend or relative crashing at their house. Very hospitable, but not intrusive. My friend and I stayed in the Linden Room. Very clean and pleasant, I would definitely come back here again! Owners were also very helpful with pointing our local view points & light houses.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank strangers_road
Diamond Bar, California
Reviewed 27 October 2010

My wife and I stayed 2 nights. I can't say enough about how much we enjoyed our room, our view, and my wife loved the large red tub with a view! Brenda and Gary made us feel at home and cooked up an excellent breakfast. After a long day of golf or shooting pictures we love coming back to The Beach House to relax. I could have easily spent a week here. I highly recommend the Inn if you are in PEI.

Tom and Cory
Diamond Bar, California

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank T0mV
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 12 October 2010

I’ve never stayed on the north side of Prince Edward Island before, but when my boyfriend said he’d like to see the place I loved so much I was hoping to be near the sandy beaches of Prince Edward Island’s national parks. His only criteria was that he wanted an ocean view.

The Beach House Inn is a bed and breakfast accommodation, and it was the perfect getaway for us. From the time I called to make reservations, our host was warm and friendly, which to me was an indication of the service we’d receive.

How can I describe this place? Warm, inviting, artsy, very tastefully decorated with wonderful, hearty breakfasts. Accommodations include either rooms in the main house or cottages. Our room was on the second floor of the main house looking out over potato fields, woodlands, and the Gulf of St. Lawrence. We had a small balcony, and one night we sat outside star-gazing. I’ve never seen so many stars!

Speaking of our room, in addition to the bed, we had our own bathroom; desk; TV; sitting area with loveseat, chair and coffee table; small refrigerator; and small table with 2 chairs. The only change I’d make to our stay is to change the mattress in our room, but I’m calling that “charm.” Honestly, everything was wonderful.

If you’re looking for a romantic getaway, I’d recommend this place. If you’re looking to “get away from it all,” this is also the perfect place. For example, after our first meal there, we took a walk down to the lighthouse and beach, and on the way back saw a bald eagle and a red fox. Additionally, we weren’t far from tourist areas, shopping, and beaches, yet we were far enough away. The Beach House Inn is also very close to some fishing towns and you’ll pass through one of the most scenic little fishing villages on the island. It’s a beautiful place to relax – picturesque and peaceful.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank vw777
Sackville, NB
Reviewed 25 July 2010

What a fabulous week. My partner and I stayed, along with my visiting sister, in The Lighthouse Cottage.

The weather was superb -- hot and sunny -- with only one day of rain. We quickly found our routine which usually involved two lengthy visits to the beach, one in the morning before it got too got, and one in the late afternoon. The beach was close enough to walk to in 5 minutes, but if you drive your car as close as possible, as we usually did as-- we had chairs, umbrella, books, lotion and towels to carry-- the walk to the beach was less than 2 minutes along a lovely grassy, flowery, sandy path.

The water was medium warm and because of the terrific location in a bay, the tide seems to change the water nearness and depth very little. The beach was sometimes completely empty and we were the ONLY ones there! Never was it crowded. A few families were usually there, and often with sweet doggies on the leash -- very humanely allowed at that beach!

Our cottage was clean and the kitchen was well-equipped for a group of 4 or 5 people. All appliances worked well. The couch, which could be pulled out to accommodate two other people, was just fine, and prettily accented with gingham throw-cushions. The walls were painted with lovely, artistically conceived colours, and on the walls were some spectacular framed and matted photographs, most taken by the very gifted artist, innkeeper, Brenda Lee. What a differences such touches make. The big black and white photo in the bathroom of a cow's side and rear end, complete with swishing tail, was a source of merriment and admiration all week long!

We were all very thankful the weather was good as the main "room" for the cottage is about 8' x 20' and that houses the appliances, the couch, a table and 3 chairs, so walking room is really at a premium! We had to take turns walking from the kitchen, which lines that room plus runs down the hall, to the bedroom! We all get along and the weather was terrific so we were able to extend onto the enormous deck most of the time. But if it had been bad weather all week, I have no idea what we would have done.

The view from the deck is lovely, and they have three of the great old chaise longues on it, all made of wood (even the wheels!) and they were topped by thick mattresses. Marvelously more comfy than the ones made today. As well, the patio sported a huge BBQ which worked beautifully, a small table probably made by Brenda, with dolphin tiles set into a rustic grey beachwood frame and held aloft by iron frames that looked a little like the sides of old schoolroom desks. A very old crabapple tree provided some deck shade, but when the sun was at its peak, we usually took our beach chairs out and sat on the fragrant green grass so typical of PEI landscapes, under the shade provided by a row of stately linden trees.

What might be improved in this lovely cottage? A mirror in the double-bed room would help --my sister had to always come to our room or tie up the one bathroon to apply makeup, do her hair, and so on. The bathroom toilet which cluncked when we arrived was rigged to stay still as soon as we mentioned it to Gary. I guess it will have to be more securely and permanently fixed. The lighting in the shower was almost non-existent as there was no light in it, and the opaque grey shower liner kept out all the light from the dimly-lighted bathroom. It was scary! I was afraid I would fall as there was only a short plastic facecloth bar to hang onto in the shower which is not intended to arrest falls. ( I am 68 and my partner is 74 and we are used to grab bars!)

What we particularly liked was the view, the deck, the lighting in both bedrooms so we could easily read in bed at night, the cleanliness, Molly the little beastie, Gary, Brenda's partner, who works every bit as hard as she at every task that needs attending to, and the sophisticated attitudes yet down-home friendliness, of both Brenda and Gary. My sister put it this way: "You can see them (the innkeepers), get your cottage "workings" explained to you, and from that moment on the innkeepers are completely non-intrusive. They were friendly enough, and we liked it that way!"

I wish we had known about the Shipwright Restaurant in Margate sooner in our stay. Be sure to look through the menus that the innkeeper points out on the inn table in the house as soon as you arrive. We loved our dinners and lunches at the Ship to Shore restaurant in Darnley, and at the Dunes in Brackley (but me, oh my, don't order the Pad Thais dish unless you LOVE salt!!)

We hope to return before the end of October. If we can't, The Beach House Inn will be included in our vacation plans again as soon as possible.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 19 July 2010

We stayed in the Cape Cottage and although we had lot of space for a family of four it was really not that comfortable. Upon arrival we found the place not that clean. Toiletts were dirty, furniture was old, was trying to go for that old antique look but most of it should have been in a dump. I refused to sit in the couch as it was dirty and uncomfortable. The bed in the master bedroom was so old and squeaky not meant for a good nites sleep. Had a washer and dryer but the dryer was not working properly.
The owners were not that friendly and did not go out of their way to make you feel welcome. On a positive note the location was great and good access to a private beach.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
The Gables of PEI Resort
The Gables of PEI Resort
#1 of 4 in Stanley Bridge
Cavendish Bosom Buddies Cottages and Suites

Been to Beach House Inn? Share your experiences!