See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 6 September 2011

I stayed at this hotel in August on a holiday with travelsphere I found the hotelier Thomas to be unfriendly although I tried a number of times to communicate andhis manner was very officious. The rooms were clean but quite gloomy and barely adequate, although the tea and coffee was a nice touch, even better if enough milk had been provided. The hotel is very dated at least at the back and sides, as a single traveller I was not given the option of a lakeview room and found the side of the hotel dark due to the large amount of trees. The food is served quickly and I found on the whole quite tasty, although more choice at breakfast would have been a bonus. The area is very pleasant and I did not find the road outside a problem. But in all I would not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank susan b
Reviewed 17 August 2011

I stayed at this hotel with a group of singles from "Just You" Holidays. The first thing that hit us (the group included 23 ladies) was that we had to struggle with our cases over the entrance steps (no ramp), there was no porter service to help and no lift. There are only 2 floors of bedrooms but it was still very tricky for all of us to clonk our cases up the stairs with no help! My lake view room was large, simply furnished and quite adequate; no fridge but a kettle, tea & coffee were provided. The bathroom was modern with an excellent shower BUT do take toiletries with you as none are provided. The towels were in short supply, rather thin (!) and rough, and no wash cloth was provided but, all in all, a perfectly acceptable room.

There were two main problems with this hotel for me (and the majority of our group). First and foremost was the officious nature of the owner, Thomas. He had his rules and, by gosh, we had to stick to them! No fruit for breakfast, no butter for potatoes, no tap water available, etc, however much we pleaded with him. We most certainly had to dance to his tune, which didn't make for a very conducive atmosphere! Of course, it might just be group bookings he doesn't like and individuals staying at his hotel may get a completely different treatment . . . . . . . The second dissatisfaction was that there is no lounge in the hotel, just a couple of leather sofas right by the front door. This meant there was nowhere to relax after dinner and we were left to sit around tables in the breakfast room to chat or go back to our rooms.

The location of the hotel is fabulous, right on Lake Attersee with a private garden at the waters edge. However, Weyregg has little to offer in the way of amenities, just one pub, an internet cafe and a couple of restaurants inside other hotels. If I were to visit this beautiful region again I would consider staing at Attersee village or Unterach, both of which seemed to have better facilities.

Room Tip: Well worth paying the supplement for a lake view room with balcony
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Gill K
Reviewed 15 August 2011

I have just recently returned after a 2nd visit, 16 Months after my last visit as I did promise to return. Once again I was a single traveller ( "Just You") but with a fairly reasonable sized group of 30 people. My last review due to inexperience with the Advisor on my side, And also to give the Hotel the benefit of the doubt, I now feel my review was a little conservative.
There is no doubt that the hotel is beautifully situated in a beautiful location in a lovely little town. And it certainly over looks Lake Attersee. And it is certainly clean, comfortable.
The Front of the hotel, The rooms over look the lake and at the Rear of the Hotel there is beautiful green countryside of rolling hills and trees in the distant. At the front however there is the main road running between the hotel and the lake. It has been reported that this road is busy and noisy to which I disagree with, However this is at certain periods. In the early morning for example if your windows are open. You may hear some traffic particularly among the delivery type trucks or vans doing there early morning routes.
At the rear of the hotel however it is very quiet throughout the night and early hours. Please note however, That the hotel does have about 4 rooms situated at the side of the hotel. Which I very much doubt, Receives any sun light. As they are all situated with some huge trees and hedge rows. If you are unfussed with this type of room, Then all is well, As all rooms are very big or reasonable big, With balconies, Tv. Hair dryers, ( which are an addition from last year ) Also this must be about one of the very few hotels that actually supply Tea & Coffee making facilities in Austria, As it is not common practice within the country. They also supply an amount of Cups,sugar and some cream for your hot drinks. The Tea & Coffee is plentiful, but you have a limited amount of the other bits, And once done, You must resupply it yourself. To be fair there is a notice by reception informing you of this. There is also a suppermarket in close proximity.
The hotel is only of two floors, With the wide stairway in the centre of the hotel by reception. Note there is No lift. With no porterage on offer on any of my two visits. So I guess the rule of thumb is. If you are not prepapred to carry it. Dont bring it!..
There is also a beer garden at the front of the hotel with tables,chairs and shades, However we were not permitted to use this as they said the grass was wet. However the grass was about 6 inches long, And had not been cut in weeks. Sure there is a veranda type area with ample seating with tables if required where smokers can go under cover.
The food on offer, Was a buffet style in the morning where you could eat as much as you want. And evening meal was delivered with promptness. All the food was well cooked and very ample and suffice. And the waitress on duty was very efficient and very helpful.
The main problem was with the owner of this establishment, Where he gave the permanant impression that we were a nuisance and a hinderance. He would rarely serve drinks outside of the meal times, And the bar was closed generally by 9pm. If you are one to have your meal, then retire to yout room, to read, rest or watch tv this was suffice. But if you wish the socialise and have a drink and chat with fellow guest. Then this was not encouraged. There are no notices of bar timings or anything. And therefore most went into the village where we were made more than welcome.
It is an okay hotel if you are only using it for a base, As it is clean and very comfortable and extremely quiet..
I would love to revisit this area again, But i very much doubt it will be at this hotel

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
7  Thank JustAndy103
Reviewed 23 October 2010

I travelled to Austria with Just you holidays and our base was the Strand hotel in Weyregg. The hotel overlooks the lake on the outskirts of the village.
My room was on the second floor overlooking the lake. It was very spacious. I know I was a single traveller but there would be plenty of room for two or even three in the room. The bathroom appeared to have been recently refurbished. There was no bath only a shower. For some people this may be a problem.
The room was kept clean and tidy by the staff.
The food was basic and on the whole well cooked. A choice from two dishes was made at breakfast so you had to sit at the same table at night. (this is not a problem but singles tend to mingle more than couples). I agree with another reviewer that the desserts were not very inspiring but they were palatable. The only meal that was truly disappointing was on the final night, barbecue night,. In summer when this can be held outside in the garden with food actually cooked on a barbecue it is probably fine but it did not work indoors in October.
Thomas seems to do almost everthing except the cooking. He came with us on the evening boat trip and bought us all a schnapps. Thanks Thomas.
The weather was super almost all the time we were there. The only time it rained was when we were returning from Ceske Krumlov, worth a visit if you have the time. The lakes are beautiful and the Strand hotel is an ideal base.
Now the hiccups. We could not check in to the hotel until 5pm because the rooms would not be ready. Luckily it was a beautiful day and so we spent a few hours in Salzburg but some members of the group had been travelling from 3 or 4am.
As previously reported there were ample amounts of coffee and teabags but only 8 creamers. if you wanted anymore you had to provide your own. Again not a problem for me as I do not drink tea and drink black coffee but some people had used 3 or 4 in one drink. You can get them at the Spar but it is at the other end of the village.
One small guest soap provided. In this day and age most hotels provide shower gel and shampoo.
All things considered would I stay there again, probably not but the reason for that is I suspect most of the trade is with tour groups and not independant travellers. If I was going on another tour that used this hotel then I would be perfectly happy. I would take shower gel,shampoo and a travel hairdryer with me though.
Forgot to mention the road. In October when I was there well used by predominately local traffic. As for the comment in an earlier review about it being difficult to cross in summer I am not convinced.

• Stayed: October 2010
7  Thank claretcats
Reviewed 11 October 2010

This was a trip we booked with Travelspere- by coach. Long journey(Stopping off at Strassburg) However we had 7 lovely days at the Strand hotell in Weyregg. Love the Area, OK there is a road in front of the Hotel, there are roads every where!!-in Europe we have cars!!!

• Stayed: September 2010