See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 11 October 2010

This was a trip we booked with Travelspere- by coach. Long journey(Stopping off at Strassburg) However we had 7 lovely days at the Strand hotell in Weyregg. Love the Area, OK there is a road in front of the Hotel, there are roads every where!!-in Europe we have cars!!!

• Stayed: September 2010
2  Thank BPSHoliday
Reviewed 31 July 2010

I was astounded to read the first review that i found here, and became worried as to what to expect; however, I have to say that I have been very impressed with the service that we have recieved.
I am currently staying here with Travelsphere as part of their Oberammergau package. Thomas and his staff have been friendly and helpful. The food is pleasant, anf is quite promptly served in spite of the size of the group. It was a delight to find tea and coffee facilities in the room - very rare on the continent - and a whole jar of coffee, a generous supply of tea bags and around 30 crenmers strike me as being very generous, nd certainly not to be sneered at (although the paper coffee cups are a bit basic!!) The rooms are cleaned daily; rubbish in the bins is thrown out (as is rubbish left in a spare coffee cup near the kettle) but other things left around the room are left undisturbed. the beds are comfortable and are made daily. Clean towels are provided when needed; but their provision is not wasteful and is mindful of the environment.
Our room is a genrous size, facing the front and with a balcony. The road is not particularly busy, and noise from there is not intrusive.
The 'beach' area fronting onto the lake is a lovely grassy plot from which swimming is possible. i have spent a very pleasant couple of hours sunbathing there today!
Internet access is free and is very simple to obtain. I am typing this on my laptop in the room!

• Stayed: July 2010
7  Thank elaineheck
Reviewed 26 May 2010

What can I say about the Strand hotel in Weyregg? ........ think Fawlty towers without the humou!

I stayed as part of a group in the first week of May- the first week of the new season.- so in fairness,perhaps the owners were not yet in true "mein host" frame of mind. It is also true that "you get what you pay for" and as this was an inexpensive holiday, the hotel reflected the price band.

On arrival, the hotel looks pretty and does indeed look over the lake at the front and green fields and trees at the rear. It also looks over the main lake road (which a local told me can be almost impossible to cross in high season!) and although I slept at the rear of the hotel, and was untroubled by noise it is reasonable to say that travellers later in the season may have a harder time of things with traffic and noise.

There is no lift, and half the bedrooms are on the second floor! you will be lugging heavy cases or waiting until the overstretched staff can assist.. Meals are adequate, but basic - soup as a starter every night (no option) , chicken in sauce with potato croquettes was a typical main course (choice of 2 - chosen at breakfast) and desert was surprisingly poor - a bowl of yoghurt was not a highlight!!

The owners do most of the work themselves - Thomas acted as bar staff, waiter (the only one for some 30 people) receptionist and general factotum during my stay,so we certainly saw much of him. It was not long, however, before it became apparent that the money saved on salaries was just one of the economies! One soap bar the size of a 10p piece was expected to last, and surprise was expressed when a fellow traveller requested a second.... the "more" scene in Oliver sprang to mind. At this level of hotel one does not expect the full trimmings of shampoo and toiletries to be offered, but to be told the hotel had neither a hairdrier nor an iron was simply ridiculous.

Beds were comfortable but poorly equipped with one very thin duvet and something which was patently not a pillow but seemed to be a large flat cushion. The "double" was actually two single mattresses placed together.

Oddly,the one area where economy is usually made in hotels - the heating - was positively wastrel here. The rooms were so hot that doors had to be left open in the evening in order to achieve a temperature fit to sleep in, if one could ignore the insects which then took up residence!

On the up side, tea and coffee supplies, in the spacious rooms, were very generous,but again one felt an element of Fawlty Towers creep in when the package of creamers ran out and the response to asking for more was that the packet had to last the week!

Perhaps the most telling indicator of the owners view of guests was the night of the general election in the UK. .Our rep had previously checked if the lounge (which had the only BBC news channel available in the hotel) could be open late for guests who wanted to follow at least the early stages of the results.On our return from an evening trip at 9.45pm the lounge door was firmly locked and the owners retired for bed for the night.
So much for keeping guests happy!

In essence,this is a clean and warm hotel, with few facilities, and basic catering which is run for the convenience of the owners not the guests. There are no dire hidden downsides, but there are certainly no attempts to accommodate visitors who want to move even a fractional step outside the owners view of what visitors should want.The Strand is run for the convenience of the owners, not the guests and if one accepts those restraints it offers a pleasant enough stay.

Would I recommend it to a friend? ..... only if they are on a tight budget.

• Stayed: May 2010
4  Thank TheBlondeBird
Reviewed 19 May 2010

I stayed here in the 2nd week of May 2010. And found my stay very comfortable. The staff were very helpful at all times with me. I was with a Just You tour. And only slept and spent the evening there. As during the days we were out.. It is in a lovely location, And all the rooms I saw were very roomy and spacious. With a view of the lake or a rear view of lovely countryside. Although the town isnt very big, There are several other hotels,cafes or bars within walking distance from the hotel.
I look forward to returning very soon

• Stayed: May 2010
9  Thank JustAndy103
Reviewed 30 January 2010

My Wife and I stayed with Thomas and Anna for 7 days in early July 2009, Travelsphere weren't going that week so we took the car from Hampshire!. We WILL be back, Thomas and Anna could not have been more welcoming, suggesting lots of places to explore but not 'pushing' any itinery though always happy to offer advice if asked. The hotel is spacious for it's size, very clean and welcoming, we had a lakeview room with a balcony and stayed half board. A choice of at least two evening meals was offered every day, and a very good breakfast buffet. The Lake is stunning, with a 'B' road running right round it and lovely villages and fantastic scenery in the whole region. Highly Recommended.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple