“Nice Weeklong Stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Langford
Phoenix, Arizona
“Nice Weeklong Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

My Wife and I spent a week here and really enjoyed our stay.The day we got there they were having a classic car show in the back of the hotel which was pretty neat. The location was a bit inconvenient if you don't have a car. Actually, I'd say a car is a must if you choose to stay here and are hoping to see downtown. Located in Langford, It's about 20 minutes outside of downtown Victoria but because of this we were able to get a 40% discount off the normal rate! The location is a bit hidden. We actually got lost on the way there. Also the location is a bit odd as it's behind a Costco. That didn't bother us but I imagine some might be bothered by it. One attraction it is close to is Hatley Castle. The home of Xavier School for the gifted featured in X-Men. Hatley Castle also has a magnificent garden, which I think we enjoyed just as much as Butchart. Back to the hotel, the rooms were nice and clean and the staff was always very helpful. We had an excellent stay and if we are ever back in the Victoria area we'll be back.

The Rewards Traveler
TheRewardsTraveler.com

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
lolowilson, ~ Guest Service Champion at Four Points by Sheraton Victoria Gateway, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are always looking for ways to better our service and the experience’s of our guests. I’m delighted to hear that you found your way to us and some of the great attractions that can be found outside the Victoria City core.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Comox, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

I stayed here for two nights. I chose it because I wanted peace and quiet to rest before an early morning conference.

On the first night there was a small amount of noise from a wedding group in a room below me. The duty manager came to the room, agreed that there was some noise and said she would speak with the folks. I woke up to find the hallway furniture rearranged (flowers from the hall table left in front of room doors, for example). The following afternoon I came back to my room. The housekeeper was cleaning an adjacent room and when I told her I was only staying a few minutes she replied that she'd been told not to clean my room as I was being moved to a new room.

I confirned this with the front desk and was very pleased to hear that I had been upgraded to a room at the other end of the hotel away from the wedding noise. The manager had also kindly left a voucher for a free breakfast. I moved my luggage and then went out to dinner and a movie before going to bed at 11.

At midnight, I was woken up by a car alarm outside my window, set off by the drunk wedding party. It went on for several minutes.

At 3:30 am I was woken up by a drunk guy who was screaming outside of my window, revving his diesel truck engine and swearing about his pit bull. This went on for 5-8 minutes. I called the front desk but it took 4 minutes and 2 tries before someone picked up. They called the police with a description and license of the truck. They told me that the bar downstairs had just closed (at 3:30am?) and apologized.

At 4:30 am, the drunk and his truck returned to rev their engine and honk their horn outisde my window. When I peaked out the window, the drunk and his friends made rude gestures and yelled at me. I called the front desk and the night manager apologized but couldn't explain what was happening or why nothing could be done.

I woke up at 8am feeling like I hadn't slept. I hadn't had more than a few minutes of sleep in between all of the excess noise. I showered and went to try out breakfast, but when I arrived the waitress said my voucher was only good for bacon, eggs and coffee, and because I prefer yoghurt and tea it wasn't valid (even though my choice seemed to be cheaper than what was offered for free). So I didn't eat breakfast at the hotel.

I had arranged a late checkout so that I could attend a fitness class and then shower before I checked out. When I returned to my room my key didn't work and I had to stand in line to get my key validated, in my sweaty workout clothes.

The rooms and hotel are nicely decorated but showing signs of wear and tear. The carpet in the hallway has bumps and lumps, there are scratches in the hall paint and door frames. The lampshade had an odd brown stain and the closet floor had a gap in the floor boards, showing the subfloor. Even the upgraded room had oddities - exposed plumbing under the sink that looked very rough (gaping hole, plaster, paint drips, etc), and unfinished grouting/sealing beside the shower and adjacent walls. The sealing in the shower areas for both rooms I was in had black spots in areas. The door and frame looked like it had at one an autocloser attached to it, but just the screw holes remained.

In general I found the staff (especially Breanne) very pleasant and considerate. I feel like they tried to help, but were limited by hotel rules perhaps? Its unfortunate that their genuine attempts to help didn't have better results. In hindsight, I should have stayed in the original room, which I would have done if I'd known that the "upgrade" was above the bar exit. I don't understand the idea of "apologizing" with a breakfast voucher that is so restrictive in its use, but again perhaps this was just the standard form. When I returned it to the front desk I explained what had happened but no explanation was offered.

This was my second and last stay at this hotel. I will stay at a downtown hotel on an upper floor next time. I do not recommend this hotel for business travellers who need to sleep, or any traveller who wishes to have a peaceful night.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. If you have to stay here, get an upper floor, away from the bar and parking lo...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

I stayed 1 night for a quick business trip and found the hotel to be clean, the staff to be friendly and the location was excellent. I would like to thank Rachelle for taking care of our party. I would recommend this hotel and should I find myself in Victoria any time soon I’ll be back.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Star_Child79
Lethbridge, AB
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

This was a great place to stay! Clean, bright rooms. New bathrooms. Very nice staff. Close to Costco and several stores and restaurants. Clean well-lit exterior. Only problem was parking kind of sucked one night. There were several families staying there, and things were very quiet in the room. Pool was busy with kids so it was a little cramped. I am actually looking forward to staying here next month again. Would recommend!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Delta, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

I travel frequently to Victoria on business. A few years ao the local Holiday Inn switched chains so I was left without a Priority Club hotel in the area. Since then I have had difficulty finding a reasonably priced, convenient and comfortable place to stay. Unfortunately it appears my search will have to continue as I strike this property off my list.

On my first stay I got to my room and the HVAC control panel was missing and BARE WIRES were protruding from the wall. I didnt notice until just before I went to sleep so I waited until the morning to report it. The front desk was apologetic and nice about it. Maintenance was sent up and I was promised a voucher for a meal. The problem was "fixed" by the installation of some marettes with the wires still hanging from the wall. My voucher never appeared (although I did not ask for it).

My second stay was great. Easy check in/out, no maintenance issues, comfortable, Everything a business traveller could want.

This stay has been awful. The HVAC system has a loud rattling noise. I sleep best with white noise so I always leave the fan on. I reported the problem as soon as I checked in and the maintenance person was here quite quickly. All he did was tell me that all the fans were like that and there was nothing he could do. So tonight with a severe storm I have alternated between a loud, rattling fan or driving rain and wind with something banging against the hotel outside. It is 4:30am and I am writing a review before I get up at 6am to start my day. Sorry Victoria Gateway, fool me twice.......

It's really a shame as the location is good if you need to visit places other than downtown Victoria. The front desk staff seems friendly and there is ample shopping nearby with a more serene setting at the hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Powell River, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2011

Bought the room same day on line. Didn't know what I was getting for 3.5 stars was a very good deal for the rate. Rooms are clean, good size as well. One down side is the window coverings , they are not a black out curtain.

• Stayed December 2011
Puerto Escondido, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2011

We spent a night here because we wanted to spend an evening listening to live music at the Langford Legion. The hotel was comfortable, reasonably clean and conveniently located (there's not a lot to choose from on this side of Victoria).

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tony R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Langford
Westin Bear Mountain Victoria Golf Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,111 reviews
Chateau Victoria Hotel and Suites
Prestige Oceanfront Resort, BW PREMIER Collection
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Victoria

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Victoria Gateway? Share your experiences!