This hotel is way out there: just off a highway #1 interchange northwest of the city in Westshore (formerly known as Langford), a suburban sprawl that could be anywhere in North America. The best parts of Victoria – the harbour, Oak Bay, Fairfield, and James Bay -- are at least a 20-minute drive IF there is no rush hour traffic into the city.
However, if your places of interest include sights in the Metchosin/Sooke area, such as Royal Roads University, Hatley Castle, and the Galloping Goose bicycle trail, this hotel is in a convenient location. Bike riders can easily get to the Galloping Goose using the bike lanes on the very new Veteran’s Memorial Parkway that runs nearby.
The hotel itself is a new 4-floor box with parking lots on all sides. Lots of parking lots. The area is dominated by two huge shopping plazas and several big-box stores; Costco is next door. No character whatsoever. But the conveniences in these malls compensates a little for their soullessness: some good coffee shops, a few fast food places, and a high-end chain restaurant.
In the hotel everything is new and of good quality. Our king bed room on the 4th floor had a nice view of the forest and distant mountains. All the fittings were well-chosen and comfortable. The bathroom was particularly nice with its table, towel baskets, and large glass shower stall (no bath). The entry way had a wood floor and a nice long mirror. The air conditioning unit controller was easy to understand and use and the air effective (a nice change from the usual). Wireless internet was fast. Of special note were the refreshingly frank signage and tags around the room, such as (on the water bottle) “It’s water. Of course it’s free.”, (choice of door tags) “No” vs. “Clean”, and (on the toiletries) “These are for you.”
Good accommodation at a mid-range price, which is mid-range by virtue of its distance from everything. If you expect nothing from the immediate area, this hotel may be suited to car-borne visitors and business travellers or those heading west from Victoria. Good for cyclists heading for the Galloping Goose, too.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Four Points by Sheraton Victoria Gateway offers a great location just off of the Trans Canada Highway, with shopping and recreation nearby. This hotel is near downtown Victoria and Bear Mountain. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Four Points by Sheraton Victoria Gateway reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- 4 Points By Sheraton Victoria Gateway
- Four Points By Sheraton Victoria Gateway Hotel Victoria
- Four Points Victoria Gateway
- Victoria Sheraton
- Victoria Four Points