“Girls Spa Get Away”

Westin Bear Mountain Victoria Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Langford
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

This is usually my go-to hotel while visiting the Victoria area.
We arrived early into Victoria by plane and rented our vehicle then proceeded to the hotel.
It was apparently a busy time for the property because there were no rooms available until later in the afternoon. We ventured to the restaurant for breakfast, which was delish!
Once the room was ready we checked in and headed to our home away from home. The room was on the 2nd floor facing the mountain side and the view was lovely. Makes you feel restful as soon as you enter the room and see the beauty. Next time I will wait for a room up on floor 4 or 5. The second floor room 247 we stayed in was directly above the outdoor patio. It was loud with people enjoying drinks after a game of golf. That was something I had not encountered before.
The room was clean and all the amenities were in good working order. The stove did move awAy from the wall when I opened the oven door. Something I neglected to tell the staff because it slipped my mind.
The maid service was thorough and we had plenty of linens. I really appreciate not having to ask for extra wash cloths as they supple a good amount.
The room service we had was really well done, hot and just as we requested.
The TV system is to be desired! The quality of picture is not good and the sound isn't very good either. That would certainly be an upgrade if they did replace the TVs.
One thing I noticed on this stay was that outside of the rooms, the hotel I looking unloved. Maintenance isn't what it used to be and I hope the new ownership will not allow this to continue.
The luggage cart had a flat tire, there was banged up furniture in the lobby and the fabrics are really showing wear.
Aside from above - it is still a wonderful place and I will most certainly visit often.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
WestinBearMountain, Manager at Westin Bear Mountain Victoria Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear travelcoleen,

We are always delighted to hear from guests that have come to see us year after year and I'm glad to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay.

Our lobby, hallways, and guest rooms are scheduled to undergo a facelift in the near future. This will include updated TVs and furniture. We're very excited about these upcoming changes and hope that you will notice the difference when you return to the resort next year.

Until then, be well!

Reviewed 26 June 2014

When we arrived there was nobody to help with Luggage. We booked a room in main building, check inn was friendly. We mentioned that we would probably stay only one night instead of two and they told us, let us know tomorrow. Of course when we did check out the next morning they tried to chrage us for early check out, in the end they didn't. Room was OK, comfortabel bed and a view from balcony over the Golf course, a little kitchenette, but we had the feeling that it was a real golf hotel and not a very welcoming hotel.for the rest. It was weekend so maybe that was why it was a bit noisy. Food in the bar area was fine. Aboput 15 km out of town so you have to eat in hotel.
Not bad but wouldn't come back as a non golfer.

Room Tip: room with view over golf course
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ekholland27

Dear ekholland27,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at the Westin Bear Mountain. I'm sorry your experience wasn't one that left you wanting to return to our resort. While a good number of our guests come to the resort to play golf, we never want to exclude those that don't. It is most concerning to read that you felt our associates while friendly were not welcoming. We will be certain to review your comments with our team.

We hope you enjoyed the rest of your travels during this recent stay.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I just wrapped up a five night business meeting/couples getaway at the Westin Bear Mountain Resort in BC. Many pros and a few cons.

First off, the pros!

Location-

This resort is situated in a very beautiful area. While it is a bit of a jaunt from downtown Victoria, 30 mins by car, it was a perfect location for us to explore the mountains, hike and play golf. As I read through some of the reviews on this place, I can't help but wonder why those who complain about the distance from downtown would book a room here. Seems like one would at least Google Map the location and determine how far away it was from the areas they would like to spend time...

I agree with previous posters about renting a car. We spent $250 on a car rental and it afforded us a great amount of freedom to explore the area. There are also many shops and restaurants in Langford and Goldstream area which are about 10 mins from this resort.

Golf-

I played the Mountain Course while I was here and it is absolutely magnificent. It's very challenging but the view and the course layout are outstanding!

The Hotel Staff-

Everyone from housekeeping to the front desk to the waitstaff were friendly and knowledgeable. I can't say enough about these folks as opposed some of the staff in the proshop... (I'll get to that later.)

The Room-

We had a one bedroom suite with a small kitchen that was very clean and comfy. And the Bed... Westin Beds are some of the best I've ever slept in! The kitchen was very convenient and allowed us to have cold drinks and snack available for our daily outings.

Now for a few cons...

The food-

Honestly, the breakfast buffet each morning was pretty subpar. Not terrible but not worth the price. In fact, we ended up ordering off the menu after the first day. Speaking of which, the Bella Montagne seemed to be understaffed and overwhelmed. However, the waitstaff was always pleasant!

The dinner buffet we had on Sunday night was even worse. Cold pizza, made to order pasta with 90% sauce and 10% pasta, and dry chicken were very disappointing. Step up your game, Westin!

Golf ProShop-

Some of guys at the front desk seemed almost bugged that we were down there. I think it is because there are guest of the hotel that play as well as members that belong to the club. It kind of felt like they weren't interested in anyone but the actual members. A shame really, the courses really are amazing!

in conclusion, we really enjoyed our stay here. The few minor hiccups were really not that big of a deal. We ended up eating dinner most nights in Victoria and Langford. Breakfast was included in our room package so that wasn't a big deal either.

We would stay here again. Just make sure you rent a car!

If you are just looking to make a day trip or two into town, I highly recommend that you ask for Trev who runs a towncar service from the resort. Great guy who actually took us on a tour of the area and gave up tips on what to do the next day. We actually planned and took an entire day visiting the places he told us about and it was great!! Thanks Trev!

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the "odd" side of the hotel. for example 335 or 331 as opposed to 3...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank tuckiefried
WestinBearMountain, Manager at Westin Bear Mountain Victoria Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear tuckiefried,

We appreciate the time you spent crafting your detailed account of your recent stay. We're glad to see there were more pros than cons and that overall you enjoyed your 5 night getaway at our resort.

Thank you for sharing your feedback about what could have been improved. I've passed your comments along to our Restaurant Manager, our Chef, and our Director of Golf so that they can look into where we fell short during your stay.

We hope the rest of your journey was a wonderful experience.

Christine Thaler Revenue Manager

Reviewed 19 June 2014

We can't figure out why we are always stuck in a room with no view when we come at a slow time of the year to any resort lately. The patio could have been comfortable with either a nice table and chairs or chaise loungers to relax outdoors. The fireplace was useless being electric. And the kitchen table was very wobbly. Annoying to say the least.
Beware of Room 122 and those close by I imagine. We could hear the garage door every time it moved up or down. It wasn't loud enough to wake us, but we were well aware of it when we were wake.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Susan S,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay. We appreciate any and all feedback so that we have the opportunity to improve our guests' experience.

I have requested that our Maintenance team look into the items you mentioned as you should not be able to hear the parking garage door in your One Bedroom Suite. The electric fireplace has several settings, one of which includes heat so they will look into that as well as the wobbly table in the room you were in.

I'm sorry to hear that you felt you were stuck in a room without a view. While we do our best to accommodate all guest's requests for upgrades, May to September can be quite busy at the resort and it isn't always possible to provide view rooms to our guests unless they are reserved in advance. Should you visit our resort again, I highly recommend reserving a Mountain View room or suite in the Fairway Building should you prefer that building or a Valley Golf View room or suite in the Clubhouse Building. The cost of the upgrade is nominal but the views are stunning!

If you venture our way again in the future, please contact the hotel directly so that we can discuss which options would best suit your preferences for your stay. We want every guest to leave from the Resort feeling rested and happy.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I stayed here for two nights, and have overall mixed feelings about this hotel.

Firstly, I suspect that if you ski, hike or play golf then you will love this resort, as I think each of these activities might well be very good. And, you may then overlook some of the other shortcomings.

However, I did none of these things and found that the area was a little too sterile for my liking - the hotel sits at the end of a 3 km road through a series of housing developments, some of which are still being built, and this didn't help my first impressions.

Of bigger importance, I had a room in the main "Clubhouse" building, which I initially thought was great - large, with a small kitchenette, opening onto a big shared balcony and a great view across the golf course. However, my opinion changed when I realised that the room temperature cannot be controlled by the occupant, despite a thermostat fitted to the wall. Apparently, the whole building can only be controlled centrally and the only advice I had from the front desk was to open the window - onto the shared balcony!

Since I found a room temperature of 74 degrees to hot to sleep, at this point I was ready to check out. However, I was helped by one of the team at the resort (Brad, I think) who got the message that I was seriously unhappy and he arranged for me to move to a 1 bed suite in the other building (I think it is called Fairview, or something similar). The main advantage of this room was a thermostat, but I have to say the room was lovely - really large and well appointed, with a full kitchen. No view to speak of, but I had that the first night.

I only had room service once - fish and chips - which was very ordinary.

So, if you want to golf, hike or ski, or you wish to use up some SPG points, then this is the place for you. But, be careful which room you choose!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Dear Jordan1964,

Thank you for choosing the Westin Bear Mountain Golf Resort and Spa during your recent trip to Canada. I am truly sorry to read that your stay was not comfortable due to the room temperature and although I'm happy to hear Bret resolved this issue with an upgrade to a One Bedroom Suite in our Fairway Building during your stay; this should not have occurred at all.

Our location is ideal for those wishing to golf, spa, hike, swim, bike, or relax in a quiet location removed from the hustle and bustle of downtown life. I'm sorry to hear that none of these activities were what you were looking for during this vacation.

We hope you enjoyed the rest of your travels and that you came home with some great memories.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

the hotel and staff was great! if you plan to spend time in Victoria, consider renting a car because there is no shuttle. the resort is located about 15-20min from the inner harbour and the taxi cost approx. 46.00 each way. the costs add up really quick! our friends rented a car for 50. a day. we spendt upwards of 400. on taxis in 3 days.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
WestinBearMountain, Manager at Westin Bear Mountain Victoria Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear acdalise,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We agree with your recommendation about renting a vehicle to any guests that have plans that include sightseeing or trips into Victoria. While our location is ideal for a peaceful stay in a natural setting, it can be costly if travellers are dependent on taxis to get around.

We hope to welcome you back to the Westin Bear Mountain should your travels bring you to Victoria in the future.

Until then, be well!

Reviewed 14 June 2014

We booked this hotel as it was one of the few SPG hotels in the Victoria area. Keep in mind it was a good 30 minutes from downtown Victoria. That being said, we absolutely loved the location. On top of a small mountain with views of the golf course and surrounding valleys were spectacular.

Reading the previous review, our experience was a completely different experience. The check-in experience was very smooth and we were upgraded to a cor corner suite with great views. The woman behind the desk was great. My wife had a minor work emergency, and needed access to a computer. When the business center computers did not have the software she needed, the front desk bent over backwards to try to help her with her issue. Although they were not able to help us, we appreciated the effort.

My wife used the fitness center for a Zumba class and loved it. It was a great, but intense run down and back up the mountain for a about a 5K run.

One word of caution - the hike to the top of Mount Finlayson is not easy. It is a short, but very intense hike. It is basically straight up the mountain, with some boulder scrambling.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Brandon B,

Thank you for choosing the Westin Bear Mountain for your recent trip to Victoria and for taking the time to share your review with us.

Our front desk associates strive to provide excellent service to every guest that they encounter and I'm pleased to read that you experienced this during your stay.

We hope you left our Resort feeling refreshed!

Revenue Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Langford
Oak Bay Beach Hotel
Hotel Grand Pacific
#13 of 49 in Victoria
Downtown
Victoria Marriott Inner Harbour

Been to Westin Bear Mountain Victoria Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!