“Lesson Learned”

Westin Bear Mountain Victoria Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Langford
Reviewed 22 July 2014

My boyfriend and I were excited to stay at this resort. Whenever we make the trip into Victoria we usually stay in/near downtown, however, this time we decided to stay one night at the Delta in the city and one night at Bear Mountain to have some time to relax and for a change in scenery. Boy, I sure wish we stayed both nights at the Delta. They have EXCELLENT customer service and the room was clean and beautiful. We also had a very large private balcony looking over the harbor! Great hotel.

Now onto my full review of Westin Bear Mountain:

We arrived at about 2 PM and we were told that our room was not quite ready yet and that it would be another 40 minutes. That was understandable since guaranteed check in time is 3 PM anyways. We decided to head out to the driving range for a bit since the clubs and balls are complimentary to hotel guests. When we got to the golf shop, one of the ladies was very friendly and was happy to show us the way to the golf carts which she told us we would be driving down to the range. Once we got there, a young male worker told us we couldn't use the golf carts. There were dozens of other people driving them around but for some reason we weren't allowed. It was extremely disrespectful and humiliating to have to lug our clubs down the steep hill and then back up with other carts whizzing right past us. I had heard from other people that the hotel does NOT cater to hotel guests since many services are free but this was just plain disrespectful. This was the beginning of our day here at Bear Mountain and it left a sour taste in our mouths. Not pleased.

Nonetheless, we had hoped the rest of our stay at the resort would make up for this lack of hospitality. We went to check in to our room at 3 PM, and guess what? It still was not ready. We were told it would be another hour! What a waste of our time. The lady working the counter (who had a severe lack of emotion) told us that we could 'downgrade' to a suite in the Fairways Building which is about a 5 minute walk from the main building (where our suite was originally booked for). She told us that this room was the exact same as the one in the main building but it had a 'nicer' view. I really wish we didn't fall for her lies.

Once we got to the Fairways Building we felt like were in a ghost hotel. Seriously, no sign of life. There were beer bottles and half eaten food scattered everywhere as soon as we left the elevator and onto our floor that was all we could see. People had left their room service trays outside their doors and from the moment we got there (3:15 PM) until we went to sleep, they were not picked up! What an eye sore. Every time we exited our elevator, we were welcomed by a table full of nasty, half-eaten desserts piled up on a tray with beer bottles and napkins over-top.

The room itself was nice and spacious but lacked warmth. My boyfriend and I are used to staying at beautiful hotels but this one was not the most inviting. However, our experience with the hotel thus far may have skewed our judgement. Oh yea, the base of the shower is all moldy and the walls are all scuffed up.

Anyways, the 'view' that the lady at the front desk promised us was nothing more than a couple of trees and a golf green. We kept our curtains closed most of the time to have some privacy from the golfers!

Lastly, there is not much to do/see/eat up on the mountain (as was expected), so we asked what a good place to go to eat would be. Concierge told us that the restaurant in the hotel called the "Master's Lounge" would be having a BBQ buffet. I do not eat beef for religious reasons and asked if they would be serving chicken, which is what I normally stick to. I was told yes, there would be steak, chicken, ribs and salad. We were excited to hear this so we made reservations. Once we got there and started putting food on our plates, we were told there is NO CHICKEN. I could not believe it. At $35 dollars a plate, I was absolutely appalled. I didn't want to make a scene so I decided to have some ribs. When I went to open the buffet top, there was one lonely rib inside. Everything was gone. I paid $35 for a baked potato and a Caesar salad. This was the last straw. I had had enough of this resort. I threw my towel on my plate - paid for a our bill and drove down to the little town at the base of the mountain and got some Sushi to go.

I will definitely not be returning to Bear Mountain and would not recommend it to anyone who is 'just a guest.' If you're a member of the Country Club, then by all means, you will be treated like royalty. If you're not - pass on this resort. Also, if you're not much of a golfer, you will be BORED at this hotel. We went to the pool and had a drink. That was probably the peak of our stay at here.

Lesson learned. Won't be giving this place the time of day again. The price we paid to 'downgrade' because the service at this hotel stinks and our room wasn't ready on time was definitely not worth it. I'm sick to my stomach about the money we paid for a romantic get-a-way that turned out to be a complete let-down.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the Fairways building. You will not get the fast service that you would if you stayed...
5  Thank Pamela G
WestinBearMountain, Manager at Westin Bear Mountain Victoria Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear Pamela G,

I am dismayed to read that your experience did not live up to expectation and that you left feeling that our hotel guests are treated differently than the other visitors to our resort.

We never want our guests to leave feeling disappointed with their stay and I hope that you will see this and contact our Director of Operations, Denise Palmer or me directly as we’d appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. We can be reached toll-free at 1-888-533-2327 or by email at denise.palmer@westinbearmountain.com or christine.thaler@westinbearmountain.com. We sincerely hope to hear from you soon.

There are newer reviews for Westin Bear Mountain Victoria Golf Resort & Spa

Reviewed 18 July 2014

What a peaceful gem in the woods of Victoria. Nestled above Langford, amongst two top name golf courses, a hotel that is peaceful, quiet and offers outstanding service. The staff at this location are all fantastic,, They can't do enough to make your stay enjoyable. If you can arrange it, try and get a room overlooking the golf course, the view is breathtaking with mountains and golf greens below.

Room Tip: View of the golf course is a must if you can reserve it
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Goldwingman,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful review of our Resort with TripAdvisor and with us. We love hearing when our guests enjoy our beautiful, scenic location and our enthusiastic team. We hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 16 July 2014

How do you recognize a great resort property ? One that delivers before , during and after your stay ! This property is located in Mountains of beautiful Victoria Island, and has two incredible golf course. As an lifetime platinum guest, my reservation using points and cash was upgraded from a king mountain view room to a suite king mountain and golf course view. The suite was nothing short of spectacular! It feature two bathrooms, full kitchen, living room with working fireplace, wonderful balcony with seating area, Westin heavenly bed (best in the hotel business for comfort!), huge master bed room bathroom with a separate shower and soaking tub, and a great working desk. The property connected to the Bear Mountain property development /community also mean access to the full fitness club and pool too. The restaurant and bar have balcony seating overlooking the mountains, valleys, and Mt. Rainer in the distance. The view is wonderful and something to behold for sure when visiting this property! We also experienced wonderful service from ALL the staff room from check in, housekeeping, and restaurant/bar that made our stay all the more pleasant and memorable! A GREAT property for sure, and one we will travel back too! Well done Westin , very well done! You made this Lifetime Platinum Guest /Major Road Warrior a true believer in delivering all the Platinum benefits of free wi fi, room upgrade, breakfast etc. We look forward to coming back again soon!

Room Tip: Request or book a high floor mountain /golf course view room/suite.

Dear MEProfenno,

Thank you for your loyalty to Starwood Hotels and congratulations on achieving Platinum Lifetime status. We're delighted you chose to visit our resort for your recent trip to Victoria and are absolutely thrilled to read that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon, MEProfenno!

Until then, be well!

Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

This is truly one of the worst Starwood properties I have stayed at. The halls are like an echo chamber and you can hear everything that's happening in the hall and adjoining room. There was also a wedding that weekend and our room was above the reception hall. When we returned to the hotel that night, there were several loud, drunk people in the parking lot and lobby. Our bedroom walls were literally shaking at midnight from the music downstairs. When I contacted the front desk, There was no offer to relocate us to a quieter room and the only response was, "They should be finished soon." When I mentioned the noise on checkout, there was no apology, just the remark, "Yeah, I heard there was an issue with noise." The rest of the amenities seemed on par for the Westin brand, but we will not be back to this location.

Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank Wesley v

Dear Wesley v,

I am truly sorry to hear that we failed to wow you on your recent stay. We want our guests to leave feeling refreshed and it sounds like that did not occur in your case. I apologize for the flippant responses to your complaints as well as the disturbance itself. The Front Office Manager has read your comments and has taken steps to ensure that all noise issues are addressed in a better manner.

Please let me know if you are planning a trip to Victoria in the future as we'd like to have the opportunity to show you that your experience was not typical. I can be reached toll-free at 1-888-533-2327 or by email at christine.thaler@westinbearmountain.com.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Stayed here because it was a reasonably priced hotel outside of Victoria. The stay was very enjoyable and the golf course looked great. I got an upgrade to the suite and it was massive. I would definitely recommend as an alternative to the downtown hotels

Room Tip: Go for the upgrade if you can, the rooms are massive and have decks
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew D
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed here for a few days in July. The resort is really nice but customer service is not their number one priority. The rooms are a little small but very clean and nice. There's a heated outside pool which was great.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Natalya K

Dear Natalya K,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay at the Westin Bear Mountain. I'm sorry to read that you experienced an issue with our customer service. We'd like to have an opportunity to discuss this with you at your convenience. Please feel free to contact me toll-free at 1-888-533-2327 or email me at christine.thaler@westinbearmountain.com with further details as we never want our guests to leave our resort disappointed.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

The Spa, Views, Sleep Comfort, Restaurants, Staff, Location and overall experience are nothing short of spectacular. The front desk staff are always proactive and helpful and as a SPG Ambassador Platinum member they take spectacular to new levels. The Spa is staffed with real pros and the views from the whirlpool are breathtaking as you gazed over Mt. Baker in the distance. A vast selection in the restaurants for tastes and healthy options with the best pizza I have ever had. Amazing golf courses, but don't let that trick you into thinking that is all the resort has to offer. Very good value, perhaps the best in the SPG network. I love this property and look forward to returning. PS. Great fitness center and pool!

Room Tip: Request the main building.
1  Thank MDM1414

Dear MDM1414,

Thank you for being a loyal member of our SPG program and for taking the time to share your glowing review of our lovely resort. We're delighted to read that you enjoyed every moment of your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Until then, be well!
Revenue Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Langford
Oak Bay Beach Hotel
Hotel Grand Pacific
#14 of 49 in Victoria
Downtown
Victoria Marriott Inner Harbour

Been to Westin Bear Mountain Victoria Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!