“The Good and The Bad”

Westin Bear Mountain Victoria Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Langford
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We have very mixed reviews about this resort as we arrived from FL after traveling all day, flights, ferry, etc. at 3 am in the morning but ended up driving around the area for 30 minutes trying to find the resort. Every sign from TC-1 to Millstream Rd to Country Club etc. is not lit at night and as a Realtor we got confused as parts of the drive were through neighborhoods so we ended up turning around thinking we were going in the wrong direction. In the states, a large resort like this, would have well lit signs at night. The last sign is a little black sign in a roundabout embedded in landscaping and is impossible to see at night.

Once we checked in and were upgraded to the main building the room was very nice size and has a wonderful balcony view of the golf course and mountainside. The breakfast we had the first morning with this same view was spectacular, we can say that all the food is outstanding at this resort.

Per the previous reviewer as a low handicap golfer who has played all around the states, we were displeased with the same story we got that we could walk down a very steep path to the driving range because we weren't playing that day. After questioning how we would get back from the range the story changed and we were given a cart, it was afternoon and there were plenty of available carts parked in plain view.

The very next day we had to cut our visit to Victoria short after having our credit card declined buying jewelry for my wife. We drove back to the Westin to use a computer and found out researching our account that even though we had paid for our room in full $1900+ 45 days in advance for a 10 night stay, they had charged our account $600+ for incidentals and $1600+ for we still don't know why. The manager simply stated his accounting department ran an audit and he didn't know why but he would call them. Later he called our room and said it was taken care of but five days later that money has still not been credited to our account. We were kind of taken back that the manager did not offer us anything for our troubles, skipping dinner plans in Victoria etc. to tend to this matter.

We played the Valley course and it is in tremendous condition and the views are spectacular coming from Florida. We saw deer and rabbits along the way. Soon we will play the Mountain course and I'm sure it will be just as nice. My reviews of golf courses are always good if the greens are in great condition.

The athletic club next door is very nice if you like to work out on your vacation, there are walking and biking trails around the resort. We did 2 full sightseeing days in Victoria just 20 minutes away and had many wonderful dinners there. The Butchart Gardens is very famous and nice.

Room Tip: The rooms are designed for "guys" group golf outings for the size there are no couches, et...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Gary H
WestinBearMountain, Manager at Westin Bear Mountain Victoria Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Gary H,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience at our resort and providing some valuable feedback to us. We're sorry to hear of the issues you experienced during your stay especially pertaining to the issue with your credit card. I understand that our General Manager, Francis Parkinson, has reached out to you to discuss your stay in more detail. We hope the rest of your stay was restful and that your round of golf on the Mountain Course was enjoyable.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact Francis Parkinson at francis.parkinson@westinbearmountain.com.

There are newer reviews for Westin Bear Mountain Victoria Golf Resort & Spa

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I'm not one to write reviews on hotels/resorts but I felt the need to rate this one ... whatever official ratings this place gets... I give it a 5 STAR. Their service alone and the way they treated our family was beyond reproach. I've stayed at hundreds of hotels in my years and this is the only one that I felt compelled to email the management and commend them for how we were treated.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
WestinBearMountain, Manager at Westin Bear Mountain Victoria Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear MFinCalgary,

We're pleased to read about your recent stay at the Westin Bear Mountain. I'm delighted to hear that our associates made you feel like royalty and that it made such an impact on your experience here. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us; our team will be excited to hear them.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Until then, be well!

Reviewed 22 July 2014

My boyfriend and I were excited to stay at this resort. Whenever we make the trip into Victoria we usually stay in/near downtown, however, this time we decided to stay one night at the Delta in the city and one night at Bear Mountain to have some time to relax and for a change in scenery. Boy, I sure wish we stayed both nights at the Delta. They have EXCELLENT customer service and the room was clean and beautiful. We also had a very large private balcony looking over the harbor! Great hotel.

Now onto my full review of Westin Bear Mountain:

We arrived at about 2 PM and we were told that our room was not quite ready yet and that it would be another 40 minutes. That was understandable since guaranteed check in time is 3 PM anyways. We decided to head out to the driving range for a bit since the clubs and balls are complimentary to hotel guests. When we got to the golf shop, one of the ladies was very friendly and was happy to show us the way to the golf carts which she told us we would be driving down to the range. Once we got there, a young male worker told us we couldn't use the golf carts. There were dozens of other people driving them around but for some reason we weren't allowed. It was extremely disrespectful and humiliating to have to lug our clubs down the steep hill and then back up with other carts whizzing right past us. I had heard from other people that the hotel does NOT cater to hotel guests since many services are free but this was just plain disrespectful. This was the beginning of our day here at Bear Mountain and it left a sour taste in our mouths. Not pleased.

Nonetheless, we had hoped the rest of our stay at the resort would make up for this lack of hospitality. We went to check in to our room at 3 PM, and guess what? It still was not ready. We were told it would be another hour! What a waste of our time. The lady working the counter (who had a severe lack of emotion) told us that we could 'downgrade' to a suite in the Fairways Building which is about a 5 minute walk from the main building (where our suite was originally booked for). She told us that this room was the exact same as the one in the main building but it had a 'nicer' view. I really wish we didn't fall for her lies.

Once we got to the Fairways Building we felt like were in a ghost hotel. Seriously, no sign of life. There were beer bottles and half eaten food scattered everywhere as soon as we left the elevator and onto our floor that was all we could see. People had left their room service trays outside their doors and from the moment we got there (3:15 PM) until we went to sleep, they were not picked up! What an eye sore. Every time we exited our elevator, we were welcomed by a table full of nasty, half-eaten desserts piled up on a tray with beer bottles and napkins over-top.

The room itself was nice and spacious but lacked warmth. My boyfriend and I are used to staying at beautiful hotels but this one was not the most inviting. However, our experience with the hotel thus far may have skewed our judgement. Oh yea, the base of the shower is all moldy and the walls are all scuffed up.

Anyways, the 'view' that the lady at the front desk promised us was nothing more than a couple of trees and a golf green. We kept our curtains closed most of the time to have some privacy from the golfers!

Lastly, there is not much to do/see/eat up on the mountain (as was expected), so we asked what a good place to go to eat would be. Concierge told us that the restaurant in the hotel called the "Master's Lounge" would be having a BBQ buffet. I do not eat beef for religious reasons and asked if they would be serving chicken, which is what I normally stick to. I was told yes, there would be steak, chicken, ribs and salad. We were excited to hear this so we made reservations. Once we got there and started putting food on our plates, we were told there is NO CHICKEN. I could not believe it. At $35 dollars a plate, I was absolutely appalled. I didn't want to make a scene so I decided to have some ribs. When I went to open the buffet top, there was one lonely rib inside. Everything was gone. I paid $35 for a baked potato and a Caesar salad. This was the last straw. I had had enough of this resort. I threw my towel on my plate - paid for a our bill and drove down to the little town at the base of the mountain and got some Sushi to go.

I will definitely not be returning to Bear Mountain and would not recommend it to anyone who is 'just a guest.' If you're a member of the Country Club, then by all means, you will be treated like royalty. If you're not - pass on this resort. Also, if you're not much of a golfer, you will be BORED at this hotel. We went to the pool and had a drink. That was probably the peak of our stay at here.

Lesson learned. Won't be giving this place the time of day again. The price we paid to 'downgrade' because the service at this hotel stinks and our room wasn't ready on time was definitely not worth it. I'm sick to my stomach about the money we paid for a romantic get-a-way that turned out to be a complete let-down.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the Fairways building. You will not get the fast service that you would if you stayed...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Pamela G

Dear Pamela G,

I am dismayed to read that your experience did not live up to expectation and that you left feeling that our hotel guests are treated differently than the other visitors to our resort.

We never want our guests to leave feeling disappointed with their stay and I hope that you will see this and contact our Director of Operations, Denise Palmer or me directly as we’d appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. We can be reached toll-free at 1-888-533-2327 or by email at denise.palmer@westinbearmountain.com or christine.thaler@westinbearmountain.com. We sincerely hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

What a peaceful gem in the woods of Victoria. Nestled above Langford, amongst two top name golf courses, a hotel that is peaceful, quiet and offers outstanding service. The staff at this location are all fantastic,, They can't do enough to make your stay enjoyable. If you can arrange it, try and get a room overlooking the golf course, the view is breathtaking with mountains and golf greens below.

Room Tip: View of the golf course is a must if you can reserve it
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Goldwingman,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful review of our Resort with TripAdvisor and with us. We love hearing when our guests enjoy our beautiful, scenic location and our enthusiastic team. We hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 16 July 2014

How do you recognize a great resort property ? One that delivers before , during and after your stay ! This property is located in Mountains of beautiful Victoria Island, and has two incredible golf course. As an lifetime platinum guest, my reservation using points and cash was upgraded from a king mountain view room to a suite king mountain and golf course view. The suite was nothing short of spectacular! It feature two bathrooms, full kitchen, living room with working fireplace, wonderful balcony with seating area, Westin heavenly bed (best in the hotel business for comfort!), huge master bed room bathroom with a separate shower and soaking tub, and a great working desk. The property connected to the Bear Mountain property development /community also mean access to the full fitness club and pool too. The restaurant and bar have balcony seating overlooking the mountains, valleys, and Mt. Rainer in the distance. The view is wonderful and something to behold for sure when visiting this property! We also experienced wonderful service from ALL the staff room from check in, housekeeping, and restaurant/bar that made our stay all the more pleasant and memorable! A GREAT property for sure, and one we will travel back too! Well done Westin , very well done! You made this Lifetime Platinum Guest /Major Road Warrior a true believer in delivering all the Platinum benefits of free wi fi, room upgrade, breakfast etc. We look forward to coming back again soon!

Room Tip: Request or book a high floor mountain /golf course view room/suite.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear MEProfenno,

Thank you for your loyalty to Starwood Hotels and congratulations on achieving Platinum Lifetime status. We're delighted you chose to visit our resort for your recent trip to Victoria and are absolutely thrilled to read that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon, MEProfenno!

Until then, be well!

Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

This is truly one of the worst Starwood properties I have stayed at. The halls are like an echo chamber and you can hear everything that's happening in the hall and adjoining room. There was also a wedding that weekend and our room was above the reception hall. When we returned to the hotel that night, there were several loud, drunk people in the parking lot and lobby. Our bedroom walls were literally shaking at midnight from the music downstairs. When I contacted the front desk, There was no offer to relocate us to a quieter room and the only response was, "They should be finished soon." When I mentioned the noise on checkout, there was no apology, just the remark, "Yeah, I heard there was an issue with noise." The rest of the amenities seemed on par for the Westin brand, but we will not be back to this location.

Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank Wesley v

Dear Wesley v,

I am truly sorry to hear that we failed to wow you on your recent stay. We want our guests to leave feeling refreshed and it sounds like that did not occur in your case. I apologize for the flippant responses to your complaints as well as the disturbance itself. The Front Office Manager has read your comments and has taken steps to ensure that all noise issues are addressed in a better manner.

Please let me know if you are planning a trip to Victoria in the future as we'd like to have the opportunity to show you that your experience was not typical. I can be reached toll-free at 1-888-533-2327 or by email at christine.thaler@westinbearmountain.com.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Stayed here because it was a reasonably priced hotel outside of Victoria. The stay was very enjoyable and the golf course looked great. I got an upgrade to the suite and it was massive. I would definitely recommend as an alternative to the downtown hotels

Room Tip: Go for the upgrade if you can, the rooms are massive and have decks
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Langford
Oak Bay Beach Hotel
Hotel Grand Pacific
#14 of 49 in Victoria
Downtown
Victoria Marriott Inner Harbour

Been to Westin Bear Mountain Victoria Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!