“Etiquette on the Course - etiquette off the course - please”

Forester's at OlympicView
Ranked #24 of 36 Restaurants in Langford
Price range: US$7 - US$20
Victoria, Canada
“Etiquette on the Course — etiquette off the course — please”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

NOTE TO ADMIN: THIS REVIEW WAS PREVIOUSLY POSTED IN ERROR IN THE NAME OF ALASTAIR B. NOT SCOTTIE MCFRUGAL. WOULD YOU PLEASE PUBLISH THE ORIGINAL UNDER MY TRIP ADVISOR NAME SCOTTIE MCFRUGAL THANKS.

When it comes to dining at a golf club restaurant, I admit my experience is limited and when I have had the opportunity, the rewards have been less that memorable.

Therefore — after a glorious sunny morning of strolling through lavender scent-laden fields at the Happy Valley Lavender Farm in Metchosin, BC — it was with a hint of trepidation that I, along with two friends, accepted farm owner Lynda’s enthusiastic suggestion that we lunch at Forester’s Bistro and Bar at nearby Olympic View Golf Course.

Somewhat carelessly following Lynda’s explicit directions, and a couple of impromptu U-turns, we arrived in lots of time for lunch.

Forrester’s Bistro is a typical club style dining room. Spacious, high ceilinged with huge windows offering panoramic views of the course — of course.

Once seated, a smartly dressed young server arrived to take our order. After peering over my glasses in an unsuccessful attempt to read the nametag pinned to her chest, and to save any embarrassing misinterpretation, I thought it prudent to simply ask her name. Throughout lunch Miranda’s attentive service and cheerful personality contributed substantially to our visit.

From a fairly extensive menu of starters, sandwiches and entrees, two of us chose the Grilled Chicken and Brie Sandwich ($14) that is offered with a choice of soup, salad, or fries. (You’re allowed to “upgrade” to chowder for an additional $2.) The third member of our party ordered the OV (as in Olympic View) Steak Sandwich. ($16)

The strip loin steak came atop hot garlic toast with a helping of caramelized mushrooms and onions topped with more onions, this time in the form of red-tinged spicy onion rings. A plentiful bowl of fries accompanied the dish. The word from my steak loving friend: “tender and delicious” and evidently with just the right amount of seasoning, for his taste.

Our Chicken sandwich was as pleasing to the palate as it was to the eye. A perfectly cooked, moist chicken breast on ciabatta bread spread with basil mayonnaise, and a generous slice of Brie, and dried tomatoes. I opted for the seafood chowder accompaniment, which was a flavourful mix of shrimps scallops and shreds of smoked salmon and potatoes in a rich creamy broth. My friend, “Rusty” enjoyed the soup of the day that was an interesting blend of sweet potatoes and chipotle.

Although well satisfied with the meal, I have to admit to having a sweet tooth and I was a bit disappointed at not only the limited selection offered but also the prices of the desserts, all marked at $7. Can anyone tell me why (for example) a ramekin of egg custard topped with some burnt sugar and called Crème Brulee, costs half as much as most entrées on the menu? I love a small sweet after a meal but the price is so often off-putting for a lunchtime dessert. Incidentally one of my favourite light desserts is Crème Caramel; whose idea was it to burn the sugar on top instead of the bottom and change the name? I prefer the liquid caramel.

While the restaurant boasts a “relaxing” atmosphere, during our visit this was not the case for most of the time. At a nearby table the raucous behaviour of a group of eight men who were obviously enjoying an early “happy hour” made conversation at out table all but impossible without shouting ourselves. It appears to me when dining out these days that “what’s trending” is a complete lack of social grace and consideration for others.

I respectfully suggest to management that they use the adjacent rooms for larger parties. I notice they did so with some other large parties, many with children. Great idea.

One final note: We did enjoy our lunch and the setting is beautiful. I would like to thank Lynda at the Happy Valley Lavender farm for her recommendation. We probably would visit again when in the Langford area of BC.

Visited July 2014
4 Thank ScottieMcFrugal

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Etiquette on the Course — Etiquette off the Course — Please.”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

When it comes to dining at a golf club restaurant, I admit my experience is limited and when I have had the opportunity, the rewards have been less that favourable.

Therefore — after a glorious sunny morning strolling through lavender scent-laden fields at the Happy Valley Lavender Farm in Metchosin, BC — it was with a hint of trepidation that I, along with two friends, accepted farm owner Lynda’s enthusiastic suggestion that we lunch at Forester’s Bistro and Bar at nearby Olympic View Golf Course.

Forrester’s Bistro is a typical golf club style dining room. Spacious, high ceilinged with huge windows offering panoramic views of the course — of course.

Once seated, a smartly dressed young server arrived to take our order. After peering somewhat conspicuously over my glasses in an unsuccessful attempt to read the nametag pinned to her chest, and to save any embarrassing misinterpretation, I thought it prudent to simply ask her name. Throughout lunch Miranda’s attentive service and cheerful personality contributed substantially to our visit.

The hot-off-the-grill strip loin steak came atop hot garlic toast with a helping of caramelized mushrooms and onions topped with more onions, this time in the form of red-tinged spicy onion rings. A plentiful bowl of fries accompanied the dish. The word from my steak loving friend: “tender and delicious” and evidently with just the right amount of seasoning, for his taste.

Our Chicken sandwich was as pleasing to the palate as it was to the eye. A perfectly cooked, moist chicken breast on ciabatta bread spread with basil mayonnaise, and a generous slice of Brie, and dried tomatoes. Mercifully no squeezed-out squiggles of pink mayo or dots of some mystery fluid "decorated" the plate. I opted for the seafood chowder accompaniment, which was a flavourful mix of shrimps scallops and shreds of smoked salmon and potatoes in a rich creamy broth. My friend, “Rusty” enjoyed the soup of the day that was an interesting blend of sweet potatoes and chipotle.

Although well satisfied with the ample meal, I have to admit to having a sweet tooth and I was a bit disappointed at not only the limited selection offered but also the prices of the desserts, all marked at $7. Can anyone tell me why (for example) a ramekin of egg custard topped with some burnt sugar and called Crème Brulee, costs half as much as several entrées on the menu? I love a small sweet after a meal but the price is so often off-putting for a lunchtime dessert. Incidentally one of my favourite light desserts is Crème Caramel; whose idea was it to burn the sugar on top instead of the bottom and change the name? I prefer the liquid caramel.

While the restaurant boasts a “relaxing” atmosphere, during our visit this was not the case for most of the time. At a nearby table the raucous behaviour of a group of eight men who were obviously enjoying an early “happy hour” made conversation at out table all but impossible without shouting ourselves. It appears to me when dining out that “what’s trending” these days is a complete lack of social grace and consideration for others.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Alastair B
Victoria, Canada
“We come for the view”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

After several visits over the past few years, you know what you will get at Forester's, reasonable food at reasonable prices. It's a place we head to on a sunny day. The huge windows out over the 18th hole offer great entertainment while you eat. There is a new deck under construction which we will try out later. Fish and chips always the same, tasty with no surprises. The Mexican pizza of the day was excellent. Service was attentive, we have never had poor service here. Only complaint, the worst music pumping out over our heads, whoever wants to listen to "hurtin music" while eating, please Forester's, play something more middle of the road, or just leave diners to enjoy the silence and the entertainment on the golf course.

• Visited June 2014
Courtenay, Canada
“Don`t bother going here!”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

My mother and sister wanted to go here as they had had good experiences in the distant past. When I phoned for a reservation the woman that answered the phone sounded surprised and I guess she couldn`t believe that anyone would want to come there. We arrived at 6:00 and stood unattended for about 10 minutes. Finally we went and sat at a table. The restaurant was empty except for a couple down at the far end. We sat for about 20 minutes but no one came. We realized that with service this bad this place wasn`t worth bothering with. We left and easily found a real restaurant that actually had service and food.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank dave_B8438GI
British Columbia
“great summer patio”
Reviewed 28 January 2014

We have only eaten on the patio during the warmer weather. It is a great place to sit and relax looking over the golf course and fountain. We have always had good service and found the food and pricing pretty good. Just make sure you take a sweater as it can get breezy.

• Visited August 2013