“Awesome place to be” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dolphin Crest

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in La-Lucia
Dolphin Crest
Ranked #19 of 22 La-Lucia B&B and Inns
Johannesburg
“Awesome place to be”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

We booked Dolphin Crest in the month of May 2014 and I was telling my husband about the reviews I have read on the website and he still insisted it was a convenient booking with regards to us travelling everyday to meet our clients. Although it was a business trip, I spent most of my time at the guesthouse whilest he was busy for the day and I have realised that each person has a selection of choices as well as experiences and I would recommend DOlphin crest to anyone.
it a place that you can be yourself, hospitable staff, excellent breakfast just like how I wanted it and over all a stay that was well spent

Room Tip: Deluxe suite
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Saphire0303
Dophin772014, Owner at Dolphin Crest, responded to this review, 22 March 2015
Dear Guest

Thank you for your response. The Guesthouse is under new ownership as of 15th Feb 2015.

We appreciate any query to make your stay more comfortable next time.

Sincere Apologies
Dolphin Guest Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Advertised as luxury accomodation so was really disappointing. The place looked very nice outside but the inside was hashed together with the cheapest finishes and very basic accomodation. Both rooms we had had broken toilet seats, the building work seemed to be of 2nd hand materials. Our door wasn't painted, the light bulbs were hanging out of the ceiling and the tv didnt work. The walls were lumpy and no lamps or dressing table. There was no coffee/tea in the rooms. We had no soap in one room and had to ask for towels. No hand towels provided. The breakfast wasn't bad but only instant coffee, margarine and artificial jam accompanied the english breakfast. Wouldn't go there again.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Louise L

Travellers are raving about these La-Lucia hotels

Umhlanga Rocks, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

Bad service. As I arrive in the area, I was greeted by being told that I have to carry my bags to the 2nd floor thru the steps. I got in the room with not room mats, no the and coffee service even though on the web site is clearly stated is in the room. The shower room was smelly cuz it didn't have air remover instead it had a rusty window that is slightly opened. The room light switch was right outside the room in the passage, and that we discovered before we sleep when we wanted to switch off the light, no one told us. There were still opened wires for the bath room light. We asked for double but it was standard twins and when we ask, we had to change it ourselves. Breakfast was a disaster, oily and we couldn't find another cup for my wife to drink tea, we had to literally share. The lady making breakfast for us was busy taking breaks to smoke before giving us an oily breakfast. Bad lamps were not working as we switch off the light.another tile in the shower was being held by papers so that it may not fall out. The shower door couldn't close. The room bin didn't have a bin inside and no plastic inside it.i had to check out on the first night even though I'm booked for 3 nights.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Benzo518
Midrand, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

Very horrible experience, I will never book there, and I wouldn't wish for someone else to book there again. The lady that works as the manager has a very bad attitude and very unprofessional. We checked in on Friday, on Saturday when we came back to sleep again, we found that there's a party in the premises, it was very noisy we couldn't sleep. When we complained about the noise, the lady told us the people with the party have also paid. We asked for a refund to go look for another accommodation in the same night, they refused and said there's no such, that wont happen. Around midnight, I had to call the cops to stop the party, so that we can get a sleep. The bathrooms didn't have enough towels, just 2 only. There was no trash-bin in the bedroom and bathroom. There was no refrigerator in the room.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank realtrevor
Richards Bay, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

We stayed one night and what a shocking experience.

When arriving at reception water dripping from the ceiling on me, receptionist told me the roof was leaking.

In the bedroom, there was 1 cup on the tray for self help coffee and tea, we were 2 people sharing the room. There was sugar, tea and coffee, but we had to ask for milk.

The shower is dirty, slimy and mould all over floor and above shower. There were only two medium size towels in the bathroom, we had to ask for a towel to use in front of the shower, as there was nothing one could use to step on from the shower onto the floor, This small towel we did receive, ended up in the shower due to it being filthy. There is no shelf in the shower for toiletries and getting out of the shower was almost impossible, as the shower door was mounted the wrong way around (opening towards the inside of the shower). Not all the lights was working in the bathroom. The toilet seat was dirty and falling apart.

The balcony is dirty (cigarette buds all over), no tiles on the floor, just waterproofing material, also being filthy. This place is a safety hazard, aircon pipe is lying loose on the balcony, one has to step over it when walking out onto the balcony. Tripping over this pipe is to happen sooner rather than later.

The curtains in the bedroom are different lengths. The base of the bed is filthy (I would rather not disclose my findings of the source of the filth on this forum). Small carpet has an iron burn on it. Bedside furniture's drawers are broken, small table is unsteady. There is only one light next to the bed and it is rusted. There is a patch painted on the one bedroom wall, in totally a different colour to the rest of the bedroom. Must have tried to cover something. The TV is installed on the wall next to the end of the bed, hip height. When getting up at night and due to no light that side of the bed to switch on, one walks straight into it.

Breakfast was a disaster, We were shown to a dark room, there were a couple of tables in the room, no cloths on them, showing cheap damaged tables. Our table was "prepared" as follows: table cloth that had 2 patches on, with 2 placemats on it. That was that! When we entered, we were asked how we wanted our eggs. And off the lady went. We were given a breakfast without asking what we would like, no cereals, no fruit, no coffee, no white toast, no butter for the brown toast, had to ask for salt and pepper - received it in dirty original grocery store containers (one plastic and the other the usual glass spice bottle. No serviettes. No coffee. ) We left without eating breakfast, we preferred to have breakfast somewhere clean and decent.

I would recommend the grading of this place to be reviewed: we didn't get what we expected and what we paid for - false advertising on the internet!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank andreneethling
Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

After travelling for several hours i was greated by an unprofessional maid.The first thing i was asked was to pay the balance outstanding and in cash. Firstly this was not stipulated on the website and secondly i am well travelled and normally pay the balance when checking out.What irritated me was that the maid never let up and i had to go out to draw the money to pay her. The room no.2 which i stayed in had no bin, the sheets and pillows were filthy and i requested then changed.Onthe second day i had to ask for towels and there was no toilet roll in the toilet. The shower leaked all over the bathroom and this made the room dirty when walked on. The parking was also inconvenienced as i had to park around the back were the gate was always closed and had to always go around to inform the person at the front to unlock the gate at the back. The numbers on the web site goes to the previous owners. The roof at the front desk also leaks. Over all it was ok.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

I hosted a party recently at Dolphin Crest, and was extremely pleased with the service and hospitality. I was particularly impressed with the attention to detail for all my requirements. Some of my guests did use the accommodation and I must I was a little concerned because of some of the reviews, but you can definitely see that the new management team has everything under control. A very pleasant experience overall.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near La-Lucia
The Oyster Box
Forest Manor Boutique Guest House
Caza Beach
Caza Beach
#5 of 22 in La-Lucia

Been to Dolphin Crest? Share your experiences!